Jeff. Co. and Sevier Co.

Red81KPsmash

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff. co is a good ball club. They just need to hammer through some of the finer points of the game and they will be fine. I believe they will be in the hunt for the district 2 crown. After that I don't know.

Sevier co is in a rebuilding process. They have a lot of young talent that needs to develop. They will continue to get better everyday. With some time and experience they could surprise some people.

I hope Sevier Co. is able to surprise some folks. Their new coach is a great guy and I think he will do well building the program at SC. On the other hand, Holland needs to get back to loving the game and the kids. He has really changed over the past few years. Of course, he did coach Ty Cobb. It may be time to go!!!

One of the problems Sevier County faces is the same problem that Heritage, or even Bearden and West face. District 4AAA is tough. When you play 14 games in this district you're going to be challenged night in and night out. In some leagues teams will only have 1 or 2 pitchers who can consistently keep you in most games. In District 4 there are several teams that go at least 4-5 deep with quality pitching. This makes rebuilding all the harder.

Sevier County may be much improved over last year. However Bearden, Heritage and South Doyle may be improved as well. This makes it tough for Sevier County to make up ground against the rest of the league.

Congratulations on the win against Cocke Co.

Great guy off the field. Poor on the field. Been around to long. Good talent year in and year out but poor results. It is time for a change.

The problem at Jeff. Co. is that the talk for 10 years or more is that Holland will or needs to retire. I just hope the kids play hard and compete. No doubt the region will be tough with Science Hill and DB, but maybe the Pats can get enough pitching to survive. Any word if Parker is pitching?

Jefferson Co. should be very respectable this year, and, to my surprise, Sevier Co. looks to be improving. Nice win over Cocke Co.

To comment on the News-Sentinel's subpar coverage of high school basbeall in the area, I think it is a disgrace. Football and basketball got great coverage with the leaderboards in stats and all so I don't see why baseball can't get that also. Baseball has to be considered a major sport in this area, especially with Farragut representing East TN.

To comment on the News-Sentinel's subpar coverage of high school basbeall in the area, I think it is a disgrace. Football and basketball got great coverage with the leaderboards in stats and all so I don't see why baseball can't get that also. Baseball has to be considered a major sport in this area, especially with Farragut representing East TN.

I also e-mailed the News-Sentinel last year about expanding their PrepExtra coverage to include baseball.

They did publish stats on Fridays last year after the season got up and running. However a number of area coaches didn't want to provide stats for one reason or another. Therefore the stats were not complete. Once you get beyond pitching wins, strikeouts, and homeruns, baseball stats are dependent on the opinion of the official scorekeeper. Whether it's scored a hit, or an error, affects both batting average and earned run average.

I started to say that, in fairness, the Sentinel has to deal with more numbers in the spring - more sports, more athletes. But there's a heckuva lot of players participating in football during the fall and they manage to get those stats published.

The other thing is they probably have an easier time selling advertising for PrepExtra editions for football and basketball. It comes down to economics. JMHO.