Pickel, Pugh, and Brown ?

CoachSH

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious as to why some good Division One schools haven't yanked Hare and Pickel. They are two of the best ever to be at Bradley. Belmont is getting a jewel in Hare. They are stealing him away from the big leagues. and why in the world isn't Chattanooga signing Pickel. Exactly what they need down there. Did Belmont try to sign Pickel or Pugh to go with Hare. If not, they should be slapped.

As we know by now Hare was semi-seriously recruited by Stanford. Pickel is also the number one pitcher on baseball team, I understand he wants to play both. Chattanooga has no baseball program.

For the record...... Hare is going to Belmont. Kellen was NEVER recruited by UTC, as that would have been his choice to play basketball. UTC is local, yet backed off on Hare, and never even flirted with signing Pickel. Like many others, I think that is a shame that they didn't look at the local boys to help them out. I can see why they may feel the other Bradley boys have been such a disappointment (Pugh, Copeland,) Both are and were standouts down there. Luvinsports, none of us understand this recruiting stuff. These guys are great players with character. I think that is where the problem is. They have too much class for these schools to recruit them. Many of the D1 schools, like Tennessee, want to rcruit players who may have to sit out because of grades, behavior, etc. The ones who have several tatoos up and down their arms, with several body piercings and do not live anywhere close. None of them recruit on talent/character. Only Duke does that and look where it gets them. The Tennessee schools such as Tech, Austin Peay, Belmont, Lipscomb, UTC, ETSU should have seriously looked at taking the two guards together. They would have gone together. Oh well, I am off my soap box now.

THose guys at Bradley Central are GREAT players!

UNFORTUNATLEY---the only one with D-1 potential is Hare.....and Belmont is a good fit for him....level wise and system wise. Pickel and Pugh are BOTH very talented players---but to suggest a school take them simply because they are 'local' guys with class acts----well, that's a bit silly.

The great Duke you brought up recruits across the country and picks from the very best---they don't limit themselves to recruiting guys from their immediate area and neither schould the Chattanooga's or Tn Tech's.

Look at the example of Brent Jolly---he had a VERY solid career at Tn Tech. He could have played in the SEC and been a role player but chose a more prominent role at Tech---by the way---he was EASILY the player of the year in AA in HS----compare his accolades to Hare, Pickel and Pugh. If you were a coach at a TN Mid-major, would you seriously go after those guys?

Again---I am NOT degrading those guys----but don't degrade the level they belong on! There are schools like Lee, Cumberland, Tn Wesleyan, King, Milligan, Lambuth, Union, Trevecca, etc (all NAIA schools) that play a really competitive level of basketball----these guys (Pickel and Pugh) could be outstanding at that level---or, they could try to go bigger and not play as prominent a role.

UNFORTUNATLEY---the only one with D-1 potential is Hare.....and Belmont is a good fit for him....level wise and system wise. Pickel and Pugh are BOTH very talented players---but to suggest a school take them simply because they are 'local' guys with class acts----well, that's a bit silly.

The great Duke you brought up recruits across the country and picks from the very best---they don't limit themselves to recruiting guys from their immediate area and neither schould the Chattanooga's or Tn Tech's.

Look at the example of Brent Jolly---he had a VERY solid career at Tn Tech. He could have played in the SEC and been a role player but chose a more prominent role at Tech---by the way---he was EASILY the player of the year in AA in HS----compare his accolades to Hare, Pickel and Pugh. If you were a coach at a TN Mid-major, would you seriously go after those guys?

Again---I am NOT degrading those guys----but don't degrade the level they belong on! There are schools like Lee, Cumberland, Tn Wesleyan, King, Milligan, Lambuth, Union, Trevecca, etc (all NAIA schools) that play a really competitive level of basketball----these guys (Pickel and Pugh) could be outstanding at that level---or, they could try to go bigger and not play as prominent a role.

Sorry have to disagree with you man on that one. Both Pickel and Hare are D1 and Pugh may very well grow into D1 potential. Don't think Miss Wareagle was saying that schools should take them because they are locals or of good character. I think maybe she was saying that Pickel and Pugh are just as good as some of the character"less" players that are being recruited by some of these schools. Watched them all year. Pickel is actually a better floor general and shooter than Hare. Hare is stronger. Belmont is probably a good fit for Hare but to say that Pickel and Pugh could not play at that level is asanine. However, I hope they both stay close at home and play for Lee. The years I have watched Lee, Lee could play with UTC most of the time anyway. Both of these guys could be standouts at Lee you are right but don't make the statement that they are not D1. If Mr McMinn is D1 then Hare Pickel and Pugh are d1 allstars.

Again---I am NOT degrading those guys----but don't degrade the level they belong on! There are schools like Lee, Cumberland, Tn Wesleyan, King, Milligan, Lambuth, Union, Trevecca, etc (all NAIA  schools) that play a really competitive level of basketball----these guys (Pickel and Pugh) could be outstanding at that level---or, they could try to go bigger and not play as prominent a role.

Sorry have to disagree with you man on that one. Both Pickel and Hare are D1 and Pugh may very well grow into D1 potential. Don't think Miss Wareagle was saying that schools should take them because they are locals or of good character. I think maybe she was saying that Pickel and Pugh are just as good as some of the character"less" players that are being recruited by some of these schools. Watched them all year. Pickel is actually a better floor general and shooter than Hare. Hare is stronger. Belmont is probably a good fit for Hare but to say that Pickel and Pugh could not play at that level is asanine. However, I hope they both stay close at home and play for Lee. The years I have watched Lee, Lee could play with UTC most of the time anyway. Both of these guys could be standouts at Lee you are right but don't make the statement that they are not D1. If Mr McMinn is D1 then Hare Pickel and Pugh are d1 allstars.

Thanks---I'm asinine? If you're going to insult someone at least spell it right.

What position do you see Pickel playing at the D-1 level? Again---he is a VERY good player---and a Lee would be a good fit. He can shoot it but is he quick enough to be a D-1 PG? Is he big enough or athletic enough to be a NCAA I 2G? I think the answer to both these questions is no---BUT, not by much!

Just my opinion! I didn't degrade anyone with my comments---just offered my opinions!

I guess the state's D-1 coaches are all 'asinine' as well?

Again---I am NOT degrading those guys----but don't degrade the level they belong on! There are schools like Lee, Cumberland, Tn Wesleyan, King, Milligan, Lambuth, Union, Trevecca, etc (all NAIA  schools) that play a really competitive level of basketball----these guys (Pickel and Pugh) could be outstanding at that level---or, they could try to go bigger and not play as prominent a role.

granny6,

I have always been taught to respect my elders and especially anyone's granny! I must respectfully disagree with you with regards to your comments about Lee being able to compete with UTC. Ashley Champion would have been the NAIA Player of the Year in most recent seasons! Can you imagine Chris Brown at that level? A 6'8" 2-man? Talk about domination! Katelynas would own the paint over guys like Lee has had the last couple of years. (Did Lee ever win at Lyon College in Batesville, Arkansas?)

I have seen Pickel, Hare, Pugh, Brown, et. al. several times since the eighth grade. They are really good high school players. They seem to be really good kids. They also seem to have reached their potential to a pretty large extent. I would submit to you that Pugh and Brown may even have better POTENTIAL than Pickel or Hare. College coaches at the mid-major D-1 level and above rarely recruit on potential unless a kid is close to 7 feet tall.

I am NOT insulting these kids. I commend them on their work ethic, attitude and excellence. They did incredible things as a team -- probably unprecedented even for Bradley! All of that does not make them mid-major D-1 or higher level talent. They all seem to have enough talent to play at some level. They should be grateful for the God-given talent they have and use those talents to get a good education at a school that wants them. Believe me, if they are/were good enough to play at a higher level, they would be offered by someone. They have had plenty of exposure at Murfreesboro, Arby's Classic, Huntsville Tourney, summer camps, etc.

I want to reiterate this: I mean no disrespect to you, Bradley, or any of these kids. They deserve a chance to play somewhere. My OPINION (no better than anyone else's) is that they are not mid-major or higher D-1 players.

If they are that interested in playing D-1 why don't they try to walk on. Talk to the coaches see what they have to say, I'm sure they could get some finacial aide if needed , Pell Grants or something else, give it a try for one year and see where they stand. Just a thought. And what happened to Pickle going to MTSU is that not a D-1 school or have they offered?

Edited by tophat