Region 5-3A PICKS. What do you think?

miketiger727

Don't forget about those new and improved Marshall County Tigers!! If we can stay injury free our team might be untouchable in 2004! 3 of the last 4 5-3A titles have came through Lewisburg and it's time to get the party started again! My predictions for 5-3A

Marshall County- To many weapons and now two of the better coaches in middle

TN on the same staff. Watch out Murfreesboro! This could be

the year.

Greenbrier- Solid returning players and great coaches. Classic battle in GB

between the Tigers and Bobcats!

Creekwood- Many young players got to play last year. Hungry for the

the playoffs.

Sycamore- Flashy offense lots of early success for a new school. Could

surprise some of the region favorites.

Page- Always competitive. Time will tell on life after Bennent Ball!

Mont. Central- Rebuilding........again.

Giles Co.- This ain't a basketball board so.....nuff said!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are my picks for this Region in 2004:

1.) Marshall Co.- this is a team that was already very athletic and pretty well-coached, but now when you throw Tharp in the mix anything can happen (Tharp and McCurry will get the most from their talented athletes).

2.) Greenbrier-  the past couple of seasons have been very special for Greenbrier fans and this one could be no different.  Roger Herndon returns to lead the Cats one more time.

3.) Sycamore- Josh Garza and Maurice Polk return to lead the Region's most potent offense.  The defense should be MUCH improved and led by LB's Moore and Vaughn.

4.) Creekwood- Jackie Bledsoe took this first year program and went 5-5 (and came up 8 points short to Marshall Co. from missing the postseason).  This will definately be a team to look out for come November.

5.) Montgomery Central- Ivan Blackman (the most explosive back in the Region) returns to lead the Indians.  This is a team that is very capable of sneaking into the postseason in 2004. 

6.) Page- Welcome to life after Jackie Bennett Patriot fans.  Page returns McMurray and Crowley to an offense that should be able to run the ball, but the question is how will the defense perform in the post-Bennett era. 

7.) Giles Co.- This could be Jackie L. Smith's final season coaching in Pulaski.  Giles Co. has the athletes and are capable of beating anyone in the Region, but the reality for Bobcats fans is that baskeball season can't get here fast enough. 

This Region could possibly be the best from top to bottom in all of 3A football!

I pretty much agree with CBarkley --

Marshall County is going to be going for the juggler this year. They are still pretty upset about last years lack luster performances. With the addition of Tommy Tharp pretty much anything can happen at any time for the Marshall County Offense. We are going to have to step it up on defense. If that can happen week in and week out we should be in good shape.

Only time will tell and that time can't get here quick enough.

Edited by mctigerfan

Is Tharp the guy who was at Sycamore last year? They came to "The Nest" and left with a W last year vs Southside. Why did he quit Sycamore(if he did). Was he in trouble or something? Will Marshal County go to that shotgun offense stuff? Man, if they do with some of the players they have had and I assume still have!! I have never figured out why more teams our here in west tn. don't try that style of offense. Seems like it is giving people fits. Enquiring minds want to know?

Yes reasons, Tommy Tharp was the fellow who coached at Sycamore from 1998-2003. Tharp is a MASTERMIND in every sense of the word (he eats, sleeps, and breathes the game of football) and he will make an excellent addition to what is already an excellent staff down in Lewisburg. Marshall Co. will probably imploy that (Northwestern style) offense that Sycamore has ran now for the past few seasons (and I also imagine that they will keep some of the Wing-T stuff in their offense as well). Marshall Co. has some excellent talent coming back this year and I imagine that they will have a BAD CHIP on their shoulder after the way that Crockett Co. has beaten them in the playoffs the past 2 seasons. If I were a betting man, then I would almost guarantee most folks that it will be Marshall Co. versus Jackson Southside in the Quarterfinals (third round) of the playoffs this November. That should be a GREAT game in Jackson (because Middle has to travel West this season). What does 6-3A have this year outside of Southside reasons (I hear that McNairy may be good as well as Lexington, but I also have heard that Crockett may be the #4 seed this year)? In 5-3A, our top 4 will be Marshall Co., Greenbrier, Sycamore, and Creekwood (with Mont. Cent., Page, and Giles Co. missing out in 2004). Good Luck to all teams!

Well I don't know about 3rd round or who is home or away or whatever but that bunch from Sycamore has shaken the timbers of Southside and all of west tn. If memory serves me correct they also beat McNairy a few years ago when everyone over here thought McNairy was unbeatable! Why did the Tharp guy leave Sycamore? Many coaches would kill to have the success they have had so quickly. Will they run the same shotgun stuff at Marshall CNTY? Man, if they get it rolling they could be the next Tennessee football superpower. AKA... Milan, Riverdale, Maryville, Hillsboro!!! Losing Toe, among others, really hurts here at SS but I do think we could be OK if we would get a little more wide-open on offense and multiple on defense. It seems that we just do the same thing over and over no matter if it is working or not. I ain't a football coach by any means but I know for a fact that almost every year we get beat by teams that are not as nearly athletic or big. We seem to sign 2-7 kids each year to play college ball and are always getting beat by teams that have no college level kids. I bet that team from Sycamore did not sign a single kid to play college ball. If I remember correctly, overall, I think they were mostly Jrs. and sophmores anyway!

Anyway Cbark, good luck with Sycamore and I hope we get a chance to meet during the playoffs. Beat Marshall County again. Now you guys have a little extra incentive with Tharp jumping ship.