BASEBALL A TEAM SPORT OR NOT

hardball23

Baseball is more of an individual sport because only three people are involved on every play, the pitcher, hitter and catcher. The "Team" the or group is only successful when individual effort excells when given the opportunity individually.

Since when is 3 people considered one person??? If 3 people are in on a play, it's a TEAM effort, not an individual effort. If there's a grounder to 2nd and he flips it to the shortstop and then he throws the runner out at first for the double play, there's more than just 3 people. If you count the catcher, there are 6 people involved in one play (pitcher, hitter, catcher, 2nd, shortstop, 1st). Baseball is definitely a team sport. You can have the best pitcher in the world, but if you have players on your team that can't hit, you'll never score any runs, therefore never winning.

Sorry STATEment, but I had to reply to this guy's post.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the five fingers say to the face??? SLAP!!! I'm Rick James - Dave Chappelle

LOL!!! I love that show!  Charlie Murphy come here!

Skeet Skeet Skeet!!! Haha :huh::huh:

I thought about putting Prince quotes for my signature...

"Eat your grapes, b...."

"Blouses win"

"OOOK"

"Will this reflect upon my frequent flyer miles? WHAAT? WHAAT? WHAAT? OOOK!"

Woo, I'm done now.

Edited by OrangeCrush23

Baseball is a team sport, but just like in any sport you have to make plays. like in basketball you can drain a jumper but you still have 4 other guys with you and usually the play involves everyone from setting screens to skip passes to get the shooter an open shot. Baseball is different that every play except for the 3rd out flyball and solo homerun to make the play so yes it is a complete team sport.

Have you ever heard of an RBI...that is a runner batted in...that is when a batter hits the ball and the runner on base scores...well if this was not a team sport that would mean there would be noone else on base and an RBI wouldnt exist...This is the dummest topic I have ever written anything on...of course it is a team sport all sports are team sports...this topic should be erased or locked out because it is stupid...who in there right mind would think that baseball is not a team sport...someone should take whoever started this topic out to a dogshed and beat him...good gracious...

Edited by swanson71

Have you ever heard of an RBI...that is a runner batted in...that is when a batter hits the ball and the runner on base scores...well if this was not a team sport that would mean there would be noone else on base and an RBI wouldnt exist...This is the dummest topic I have ever written anything on...of course it is a team sport all sports are team sports...this topic should be erased or locked out because it is stupid...who in there right mind would think that baseball is not a team sport...someone should take whoever started this topic out to a dogshed and beat him...good gracious...

"A simple yes would have worked...but." - Billy Madison

This is what I thought of when I read your post...except Billy says no in the movie...still the same concept.

is baseball a team sport or just like every other sport. when you step into the batter box is all of team mates helping you hit the ball. when a ground ball comes your way is the bench players helping you field the ball and make the throw. I hear alot about this is the best team sport of them all but is it ?

With that approach. There are no team sports. That is ridiculous.

Wow...I've never even thought of baseball that way. Maybe because I've never had an idea like that. Sure all those pitchers are good, but would they chance throwing some pitches unless they knew their infield/outfield would back them up. That's ridiculous to think it's not a team sport. Just because at one point in an at bat it's mainly focused on three players, doesnt mean that it isn't a team sport. I know from catching that I include my infielders alot when men are on base. The fan's focus may be on 3 people, but the player's focus shouldn't be. If that were the case, it'd be like homerun derby. Whoever hits the ball the farthest wins.....

Sometimes people think baseball isn't a team sport because it is more of a coactive sport that cooperative sport (I said more, not totally). For example, in football a couple of guys block for the runner while he's juking around and finding the whole. That's cooperating. In baseball, a grounder get's hit to short, he fields it, he throws it -- he's done. Then a first baseman has to reach out and catch it. Now, the shortstop has to do his thing by himself. No big ol' lineman's gonna help him. Then the first baseman has to do his thing and nobody is helping him, either. So, it's more coactive.

From that kind of scenario, some people get hung up on the notion that, because each person does his thing by himself, and then the next person has to do his thing, baseball isn't a team sport. To my mind, that's goofy. Of course it's a team sport. That first baseman can sure help his whole infield look better by being good at the stretch and the scoop, even if he isn't cooperating on fielding the grounder and making the throw.

Also, I think baseball tests the whole team more than any other sport. In basketball, usually 1 guy takes most of the shots. In football, 1 guy gets most of the carries. Those sports tend to emphasize 1 guy or at least a limited set of guys. In baseball, every fielder is going to have to make some plays, and the ball has a way of finding your goober, doesn't it? And everyone has to walk up to the plate and take his hacks. So, I think baseball is a more rigorous test of the whole team than any other sport.