TnVols23

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words of the famous one, Ric "Nature Boy" Flair, "To be the man ... you've got to beat the man." Until one of the other local teams steps up and beats Maryville, they are the kings of Blount County.

For those who say that WB "doesn't have enough talent to win" ... well, you might be surprised this year. I won't bore you with all the details, but I will say this ... Brad Walker will not only be the best rb in the county, he'll be one of the best in the state for the next two seasons. You can build a team around a player like Brad Walker.

At this juncture, I'd pick it: 1. Maryville 2. WB 3. Alcoa 4. Heritage. But, just to let you know, I picked Blount #1 in the poll. Go Govs!!!

Well I know most will look at my name and say, oh another MHS fan. However, here is how I believe this year will unfold. Maryville is going to be a better team than last year. On both sides of the ball. I don’t think any of the Blount county games will be close. This years MHS team will run the ball better than the past 3 years. The backs look great. Tank will be a lot of fun to watch. The O/L is awesome. Bigger, stronger, and faster than last year. These kids really like each other and will dominate D/L’s all year long. Get ready Boro MHS will be back THIS YEAR.

brad walker is an all around better player than dustin lindsey. walker's size is deceptive. VERY strong kid. lindsey has the size, but doesnt possess the break away speed that walker has. tough to choose, but i'd take walker as my RB. on the other hand, i'd take lindsey as my LB. ;)

Guru,

Right on bro. A very accurate breakdown of the two. I take nothing away from Dustin ... I'd love too have a team of kids just like him. Not just his awesome athletic skills, but the character he possesses.

Brad's speed is what separates him from other local backs. But at linebacker --or low post -- give me Dustin.

• 2 weeks later...

Walker better than lindsay is just crazy. and before anybody starts to jump up and go off ill explain. Taking nothing away from walker but faster does not mean better. At 6'2" 225 dustin has enough speed to complement his running style. he ran for 1200 yds as a soph running behind other soph and frosh. You have to take notice of the fluidity at which lindsay plays..everything comes so natural for him. Hes not a d-1a recruit for nothing. Walker however is a solid player and a pretty good track guy but still not the caliber of dustin lindsay and i believe neutral people which i am would be the fisrt to tell you that. Also it would be very hard to bet against what alcoa has this season. There wasnt anyone denying they had talent but know you put all that talent with experience and the know how to win which they started to figure out late in the season and youve got a chance to be special. And my thing on wb is meadows is a great coach but a coach has to have players to win. My example would be buzz peterson at ut..i wouldnt doubt that learning from dean smith and playing at unc that he is a great coach..but you have to have players. Walker and the very overrated osbourne kid dont translate in the championships. And maryville is maryville..what else can you say about that program but domination. They flat out know how to get it done..every year people want to say they are going to drop off but the fact of the matter is they dont and you cant argue with production and those guys produce every year

and i believe neutral people which i am would be the fisrt to tell you that. Walker and the very overrated osbourne kid dont translate in the championships.

neverquit23,

Sure ... your "neutrality" really shows up in your post. In terms of running backs, realistically, "faster does mean better." Sure, there are some backs that do really well without blazing speed (like Lindsey) but all things equal, if both backs are physical specimans and smart, fundamental runners and good fits for the system they're in ... "faster" is the variable that separates good from great. It's a toss up now, each is entitled to his own opinion, but I believe Walker will "prove himself" over the next two years.

As far as the "very overrated osbourne kid" (sour grapes on your part very evident) ... he won three games last year with punt returns for td's in the closing minutes. This year, I guarantee you, Coach Meadows will figure out simple, effective ways to get him as many "touches" as possible. We'll see how "overrated" he is, I guess.

And I think you (in your neutrality) and others will probably be surprised to see just how much talent Coach Meadows will have this season. We'll be far more than a "two-man show" as we battle the "big boys" week in and week out.

Coach Rewis at Heritage will come up with an offense that fits the team he has. In Georgia, He passed more because he had the tools to run a successful offense, while in Fairview, which is in Middle TN, he had a potent run offense, due to his talent on the line and in the backfield. He had a 2,000 yard rusher two years ago. He is a very intelligent coach on offense and defense and will have Heritage in the hunt within two years. He is also a great teacher. He is a great addition to Blount County.

why are we even talking about heritage, they are terrible every year at just about every sport and i dont see how next year will be any different. and i agree with thte statement about lindsay, walker is fast and everything but he doesnt have the dize and the brins about the game to do well in any college situation unless he is a kick returner or something along those lines.