Dickson County Softball

zachsdad

To the girls on the Dickson County Softball team:

Congratulations on a well played and hard fought Waverly Classic. You have a very solid team and should have an excellent year.

To an un-named Dickson player:

I have a great deal of respect for you and your apology was whole-heartily accepted.

To the Majority of the Dickson County fans:

Good job, you were behind your team all the way.

To a few vulgar Dickson County fans:

You know who you are, I hope someone reads this to you, as you would probably have trouble with some of the bigger words such as "girls" or "the". You embarassed your team, your school and your community. Since when is it appropriate to shout obscenities to High School softball players. You crossed way over the line. If you ever have a daughter, God Forbid, I hope someone talks to her like you talked to the opposing players tonight.

Come on folks, be a fan, pull for your team, even holler at Umpires if you want, but don't be abusive and degrading to teenage girls. It does not make you a bigger man, only a pitiful excuse as a human, and a big waste of oxygen.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why couldn't you "let it go" with the first six sentences? That would have been very positive statements for a good program. The truth of the matter is, Dickson County probably beat your team and you have some sour grapes.

If you are truly upset about vulgar fans, why bring Dickson, or any particular team, into it? Dickson County doesn't have a lock on vulgar fans. Your motives are clear. Dickson whipped your tail and you have to trash them with the poor behavior association. Shame on you!

Trust me, you could have made your point without mentioning a particular team. You could have been been above the negativity by just posting the first six sentences. But, you didn't .....

If you are truly upset about vulgar fans, why bring Dickson, or any particular team, into it? Dickson County doesn't have a lock on vulgar fans. Your motives are clear. Dickson whipped your tail and you have to trash them with the poor behavior association. Shame on you!

dropball,

this happened at the waverly tournament last night. no, dickson doesn't have a lock on vulgar fans. there are, unfortunately, vulgar fans at almost any tournament in which your team competes. i believe the post from zachsdad was an outpouring of frustration and anger -- none of it meant towards the team. however, i totally agree with his anger. there were d.c. fans, yelling at hfa outfielders last night, calling one particular player names i can't type on this family board. they don't know her, she doesn't know them. there was no need for this behavior and it was extremely inappropriate. i don't know what i would have said or how i would have played if i had been in her place. honestly, i probably would have said something inappropriate right back -- i don't know what, if anything, she said to those people during the game. it is an indictment of high school, middle school sports and even little league/junior pro/y-ball whatever that a 17 year old girl is referred to a terrible obscenity because she's not wearing the appropriate jersey. what's next, are there going to be umpire/fan fights in tennessee, as there have been in other states? or are we moving to a society where fans are banned from sporting events, because of brawls in the stands (which has also happened elsewhere in the U.S.)? i would hate for this to become the standard here -- my daughter has gained so much from sports -- a sense of teamwork, a strong work ethic and she is generally much more outgoing on the softball field than any other place in the world. these are all qualities that should help her in any career she might choose. i'm sorry that you are offended by zachsdad singling out a particular school, but those specific people -- that were cursing high school girls for playing a game they love -- should be shamed.

and just so you know, 2-1 isn't a whipping in anyone's book.

Dropball, you're wrong, I have not seen fans from other schools doing this. The potential is there, but the reason it doesn't happen is because other schools will not allow it. So, Dickson Co. must have a lock on these types of fans. The sad thing is that Dickson Co. could probably compete for the state title this year, but KARMA is not going to let that happen.

Ask anybody that has been to a Dickson football game and they will tell you the DC fans are some of the best you'll see. just because there was some bad behavior at one game doesnt mean they have a lock on bad fans. and at 24-3 i would say they have a legit shot at the title regardless of a few vulgar fans

Sticking a label on a team because of the actions of a few is a shamefull thing to do. We have played Dickson County before at Dickson County and the fans seemed to appreciate a good game. Don't know what happened but I bet the team, the coaches and the majorityof the fans were well behaved and into the game going on inside the fences.

In reading this post I thought what Zacsdad said was good. He was complimenting the team player who apologized on behalf of the parents or people who were out of line. Having said that, is it wrong to disapprove of people using foul language directed - directly at teenage ball players? Even if this kind of behavior is only done by a few? I should hope not! High school girls should not be the brunt of anyones physical/verbal abuse. I would hope our girls are surrounded by parents-people-coaches who have a higher respect for the sport and the individual girls than just dismissing this kind of behavior. Thanks.

Eccl.7:9 Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.

It's a shame when parents/fans get to much "into" a game. Maybe the people who acted up will read or hear about this thread and settle down. 20 years from now it's not going to matter that much, is it? I'm glad my own parents never embarrassed me when I played school sports in the 70s and 80s.

I have been coaching for decades and parents should realize how uncomfortable they make their kid feel around his/her friends when they act out.

At a game last month (not involving Dickson Co.) an umpire enforced a rule based on a situation that you rarely ever see. A couple of fans (probably not knowing the rule) got upset. The opposing coach walked over and ask the fans to settle down, which they did. I gained a lot of respect for the coach when they did that.