Oneida vs. Kingston

the one

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game last night by both sides. The goal from Oneida was a nicely placed header off of a corner. Great follow up for the goal from Kingston. I thought that both keepers played well. I hope this will not be the last time that these teams meet this season. The past three games that these teams have played against each other have been very good games.

My thoughts on the game are mixed. It was a well played game by both clubs, with Kingston better at possession and Oneida better scoring opportunities. I must disagree with SassyPants6, the goalie lead with his cleats on the foul that resulted in a PK attempt. It was a dangerous play, and it could have easily injured the Kingston defender as well. Oneida missed a golden opportunity to pad their 1-0 lead at the time. All of Kingston's offensive chances, with the exception of their scoring chance, were relatively easy plays for the Oneida Keeper. DeAraujo returns to the lineup soon and the pace of the Indian attack should increase with his reinsertion to the forward position. The kids have played fairly well in his absence, so whatever he adds to the team in returning is just icing on the cake. Day and McMillon were as good as advertised, and Grigsby of Oneida was very impressive with the header ball. McColloch was in the right position the whole game and continues to make scoring a rather rough task for the opposition. I eagerly anticipate the rematch, unless Oneida unseats L.C., it should keep everyone on the edge of you seat. :D:D

I must disagree with SassyPants6, the goalie lead with his cleats on the foul that resulted in a PK attempt. It was a dangerous play, and it could have easily injured the Kingston defender as well. Oneida missed a golden opportunity to pad their 1-0 lead at the time.

Kazam, I have to disagree with you. I had a very good angle on that play and IMHO there was no foul whatsover. Michael Day made his usual incredibly awesome save, and had the ball in possession as the contact occurred, and...Day's contact was with his own player not the Oneida man. The obligation is on the attacker to avoid the keeper on a tie, not the other way around. Michael Day is the best and most calculating keeper I have seen and did not lead with his cleats, regardless. If he had, he would have taken out his own player. We need to be careful when we saythings like that. Now think about this: Even if, as you say, it was dangerous play, that is an indirect kick not a pk. The ref blew the call as he did the handball on the Oneida player in the second half. That's soccer. That center ref was out of his league in that game but both sides had to deal with him.

I thought the game ended justly on that night with a tie. I hope the teams can meet again with all their players back and healthy. That would be a great match. Give both teams their due, they gave us something to talk about and enjoy.

Stevcarb, you need to realize that I was not implying that Day's play was "dirty" or that there was even an attempt to injure anyone. Day was making a calculated chance that he would secure the ball before the other players arrived on the ball. It appears the other two players(Kingston defender and the Oneida attacker) made every attempt to avoid the collision, while Day came in with his cleats in front of him. The ball was 50/50 so the referee had to make a call on this play. Micheal Day in my opinion is an excellent goalie and there is no implication on my part that he or any of the Kingston players are less than good, hard players. On the aforementioned play my emphasis is on our inability to capitalize on the opportunity to score off of a PK. My interpretation of the call was merely what I think the referee saw in that situation. Kaz, out! :lol:B)

The video shows no contact ever occurred between Day and the Oneida player. The Kingston defender got hammered, however. Oh well! No harm. Good game anyway. Districts await!

Kingston beat Gibbs 2-1 tonight in a well fought contest. Gibbs is dangerous. Have fun Thursday if the game is played then. Should be a good one.