Best team in 2-5a?

DukeRules12

Ok here goes my early take:

Oak Ridge - Yes, they are graduating 30 seniors. This includes Cory Booker, all 4 starting D-linemen, 4 Offensive Linemen, both safeties and 1 starting D-back. What do we have coming back? Starting Q-back, starting running back, backup fullback, 2 starting lb, one of which is already the all-time leading tackler in Oak Ridge History. Returning corners and recievers both have significant playing time. Lots of speed at running back. If the line and some of the young DBs can get up to speed in a hurry, then Oak Ridge should do very well again this year.

Soddy Daisy - Should have been better last year. The coaching change should do them a world of good. Impressive size both on the line and in the backfield.

William Blount - The Wojo years are over, but Coach Meadows will probably do his magic again. Defense should be solid. Receivers are a big question mark, lots of droped passes last year, didn't see much at the lower levels either. This is a team that needs to start believing it can win the big game.

Ooltewah - If you thought last year's team was young...look out for the most talented sophomore class in the region. 2 good rbs and qb with both size and speed. Should make some noise, especially late in the season. However, I think they are 1 year away from contending for the region title.

Bradley Central - Can they get their athletes to go out for the team? Who knows. If BC can get more players, they could make some noise as well.

Heritage - The new coach has a track record of turning losers into winners. Can he do it at Heritage? Heritage should be better, but the lack of team speed is a probably in this region.

Farragut - very good rb, but nothing else.

This region should be wide-open for the top 4 spots. All teams have some important holes to fill. I will know more about Oak Ridge with the start of spring practice this Monday.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how year in and year out McMinn is left off of everybodys list of possible region teams that have a legitimate chance to qualify for a state playoff birth and even win a region championship. McMinn has qualified for the TSSAA playoffs for 12 years in a row and has won 2 region championships in the last 5 years and has averaged 9 wins a season for the last 6 years. Sure Soddy Daisy has got a proven winner in coach Weathers and should be a solid football team as should William Blount with the addition on coach Meadows. Ooltewah should rebound from a disappointing 2003 football year and Farragut is always a tough opponent on anybodys schedule. Heritage and Bradley are trying to find the secret formula to a winning program. And then you have Oak Ridge which is the measuring stick in Region 2-5A. But what about McMinn you say, the only team on this list that has shown consistency over the last decade and is always competitive with whom ever they line up againist, we have been picked anywhere from 2-6 over the past 10 years and have actually finished either 1st or no worse than 4th ( and did that only twice). Good luck too all of the teams in Region 2-5A this 2004 football season!!!!

I love how year in and year out McMinn is left off of everybodys list of possible region teams that have a legitimate chance to qualify for a state playoff birth and even win a region championship. McMinn has qualified for the TSSAA playoffs for 12 years in a row and has won 2 region championships in the last 5 years and has averaged 9 wins a season for the last 6 years. Sure Soddy Daisy has got a proven winner in coach Weathers and should be a solid football team as should William Blount with the addition on coach Meadows. Ooltewah should rebound from a disappointing 2003 football year and Farragut is always a tough opponent on anybodys schedule. Heritage and Bradley are trying to find the secret formula to a winning program. And then you have Oak Ridge which is the measuring stick in Region 2-5A. But what about McMinn you say, the only team on this list that has shown consistency over the last decade and is always competitive with whom ever they line up againist, we have been picked anywhere from 2-6 over the past 10 years and have actually finished either 1st or no worse than 4th ( and did that only twice). Good luck too all of the teams in Region 2-5A this 2004 football season!!!!

Oops! Very red faced here. TribeFan, is Milsaps graduating? Anyway, very good Soph. linebacker coming back. With a coaching change, it is hard to tell. They were very impressive last year. Last year's game vs. Oak Ridge was much tougher than the score indicated. I thought this was a team that was hurt bad by graduation, but we'll see. I'll adjust my list as follows:

Oak Ridge

Soddy Daisy

McMinn County

William Blount

Ooltewah

Bradley Central

Heritage

Farragut

Sorry about the oversight.

Boyfromsi it is true our offensive line was hurt by graduation and we did lose a few good skill players but we have picked up some surprises over the winter. We have a very talanted stable of backs with Steven McBride #1 being the best of the bunch @ 6'2 200 lbs. If the O line can come together I like our chances to challange for a region championship.

I think with the new coach at Soddy they should have the best chance at winning the region. Oak Ridge lost to many quality players. Plus Soddy has a stud 3 year letterman linebacker Doodle Bievens, and also 3 year letterman DB Josh Ward. Ward and Bievens will be the backbone on the defense supported well by some of the young talent coming up. The offense should be explosive, Weathers has been known to throw the ball alot, and i think Soddy should put some impressive numbers in passing as wells as a balanced running game. They have all the talent in the world coming up, and could quite possibly win the region, because Weathers makes players want to play for him and makes it fun so they will play as a team and should be very good and finish around 9-1, or maybe 8-2. They will be very competetive this year!!!!!!!!

Guys, thanks for the love for the Region Championship Freshman since we can't get any at our own school... Either way, Ooltewah could make a run at the region this year, definitely when were juniors, and by the time I"m a senior, this team has state championship aspirations. Some notable Sophs who could make an impact for The Big Red:

1. Ryan Williams, WR - Speed, hands and mouth. What more could you want in a reciever.

2. Michael Welch, FB/LB - Getting run over by this guy never gets old, should be a good one

3. Jensen Morgan, QB - Not a lot of playing time this year, but in my eyes, the better quarterback. Better leadership skills and a more accurate arm.

4. Jeremy Woods, QB/FS - Good athlete, can throw the bomb, not as good in short game but a strong quarterback either way.

5. Sean Sanders, HB/LB - not as tall as Welch but hits like it. Strong (squats 350) and fast (4.6 40 I think). Not a fair combination for the 2nd string defense.

6. Marcus Turner, RB/LB - another big hitter, knee is a question mark but when he's on, look out.

Those are in no specific order and I left guys out b/c there's not enough room for everybody