Popularity

Guest BIGRUSN

Guest BIGRUSN

Why isn't lacrosse huge. Its a fast paced sport with lots of excitement. The scoring is relativly frequent and i was just wondering why it hasn't caught on all over

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are a lot of reasons: northern sport, Not enough teachers of the game, etc, but one is the fact that the sport is not very visable here on the college or pro level. The college game, at least on the varsity scholarship level, is limited almost entirely to the northeast part of the country. Kids here rarely, if ever, get to see the sport on TV, unlike most other sports, where there is tons of tv coverage. Kids in this part of the country don't grow up dreaming to one day play LAX for Hopkins or UVA or Syracuse. They dream of playing football for the Vols or Florda St. or USC. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, it's going to be difficult for D-I colleges to add men's LAX due to Title IX, expense, among other reasons. It seems to me that the key to growing lacrosse here is getting it established at the lower levels, i.e. elementary and middle schools and summer leagues. If enough kids start learning the game young, the level of play will improve and the sport will get bigger and bigger here. Any thoughts?

I grew up playing Football, Basketball, and Baseball. Those are the big sports in the south. Soccer is catching on. I would have liked to of had a lacrosse team in high school. Not too many high schools have them. Another sport not a lot of schools have is Rugby. Maybe these two will pick up interest!

I wish Lax would catch on here( in Clarksville) I coach football and wrestling, and I am asked all the time by my guys why don't we have a Lax team or are we gonna get one. I'm from SC and never knew what the sport was until I joined the ARMY, but once I played I fell in love with the game. Most of the guys that ask me about it have only seen it, I think if you try it they will come.

Grassroots, the same way soccer grew, is the path lacrosse has to go.

Summer league teams for young kids, through middle school. Middle school teams. I know in Williamson County it is really starting to take off with a number of middle schools having teams form. It can't be as strictly private school thing, because private schools don't have the numbers publics have. Also there is a desperate need for quality coaches and officials.

It will come.

• 2 weeks later...

Lacrosse is growing extremely fast down south, especially in Memphis. There is a new indoor/outdoor lacrosse/hockey sports complex in planning stages in Cordova. The number of teams in Tennessee has skyrocketed in the last 5 years, and the only reason its not "popular" is that people arent familiar with it. People who see my games fall in love with the sport.

It'll take a major landmark tv contract to get MLL on TV regurly. Its big in the Northeast, but still the games I've watched of the MLL, They only had about 10.000 seats and only half looked full. I don't think lacrosse will get the boom soccer did, soccer was already huge everywhere but America, Lacrosse is not even known of outside of North America. Don't see lacrosse ever getting big enough to recieve 10 seconds on SportsCenter, nor does Lacrosse have the fanbase to get a second on SportsCenter, and 60% of the nations population is on the eastern seaboard and the majority of that is in the NE. So your looking around 40% of the nations population in the LAX "hot zone" and the majority of people there don't give a crap either. Stop whining and realize that LAX will never go main stream and won't get any bigger than MINOR leaugue hockey, which no one cares about either, I hope that coacht's expeiriment shows that this board is a waste of time and they dump it so the 5 people that actually care about lacrosse can go somewhere else.

Guest BIGRUSN

Thats just dumb. your crazy. lacrosse is huge wherever it can catch on. If you can get 40% of the nation's population interested in your sport I would say thats pretty good.the MLL has continually gotten better TV contracts with each year it has existed. It has sponsors who pour a lot of money into the league (New Balance, Sobe, ETC.) And in case you havent noticed there is a very quickly growing following in the south. It has all the aspects a sport should have to make interest, and I think the US has a open mind enough to accept new sports. And if I'm not mistaken colleges like UCLA have competitive lacrosse programs in the west. It seems to me like there is a following. If you ask almost anyone who play lacrosse if they like it. 90% of the time you will get an overjoyed expression of love. So why dont you go and try to avoid lacrosse, because sooner or later, you wont be able to.