Best player in East TN?

mhusband31

I have nothing but a great deal of respect for both of these players, I do think Kirkland is awesome, his defensive skills at this level are unheard of, however Waldrop is awesome too, he's obviously got alot of talent. This being said, I wish success to all these players.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason Gray is a good player but is hardly in the same league with all of the aforementioned players. His forte is pitching but I don't think his stick is up to par with the rest. Not to mention that Rutledge is a AA school and doesn't nearly play a schedule that the other players' teams play. Sorry but I don't include him. :)

His stick is up to par. Don't hate because Rutledge is AA. His forte is defense. He takes away a lot of hits patrolling centerfield.

He just also happens to be a darn good pitcher too. He does belong on any list of best in ET.

I hesitate to put a player from AA on this list because they havent proven anything. I doubt that Rutledge or Mr. Gray would be able to compete against Farragut, Houston, Mt. Juliet, or even teams like Maryville or South Doyle in AAA. I certainly don't think he could be compared to SEC talent like the names mentioned in this thread.

I have seen Kirkland play multiple times and I've watched Farragut play almost every game for the past two seasons and I would put Kirkland behind Waldrop and Eldridge as far as a high school talent. He should be compared with Delmonico, Reagan, and other players around East TN. I think McGahey from Science Hill is a good comparison for him. Solid HS player but not good enough "all around" at this point in their careers to be solid draft picks. I don't care how fast you can throw the ball to second base, if you can't hit you can't play big time baseball and he is not as good all-around as Waldrop, not even close.

I hesitate to put a player from AA on this list because they havent proven anything.  I doubt that Rutledge or Mr. Gray would be able to compete against Farragut, Houston, Mt. Juliet, or even teams like Maryville or South Doyle in AAA. I certainly don't think he could be compared to SEC talent like the names mentioned in this thread.

I have seen Kirkland play multiple times and I've watched Farragut play almost every game for the past two seasons and I would put Kirkland behind Waldrop and Eldridge as far as a high school talent.  He should be compared with Delmonico, Reagan, and other players around East TN.  I think McGahey from Science Hill is a good comparison for him.  Solid HS player but not good enough "all around" at this point in their careers to be solid draft picks.  I don't care how fast you can throw the ball to second base, if you can't hit you can't play big time baseball and he is not as good all-around as Waldrop, not even close.

Y'all keep thinking that he can't do it and you'll wind up seeing him in an SEC uni down the road. I love this comparision to things like AA can't compete with AAA. I thought this thread was on individual players. If the thread where about teams, then absolutely Rutledge couldn't compete with Farragut, Mt. Juliet, Houston or some other fine AAA schools out there. We all are aware of that.

But as far as the individual, Gray could play anywhere in this state. Period.

Edited by KevB1990

One more thing, just because a kid has "draft pick"-potential means absolutely nothing. There are about 10,000 Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans and other players of Latin descent that are waiting to be gobbled up every year. Nearly all of them get looks before your stud player out of East TN does.

There's only so many professional baseball jobs. I don't think that all of them are that crazy to think they're gonna make it to the show simply because they have "draft pick"-potential and not even try in college to get a degree.

Having seen Spencer last night, I think he has got the arm to throw well in major college, and possibly pros down the road. He is a good hitter, but I think becuase he gets few looks (Jeff County walked him 4 times last night) he gets anxious at the plate. When he gets his chances, he is tough at the plate.

I have not seen Waldroup or Kirkland play, so I can't render a comparison. McGahey is a horse, and rips the ball every chance he gets.

i think the whole comparison between AA and AAA is the competition level. yeah rutledge has a good team and there are alot of AA teams that have good solid teams that could compete with higher level (AAA). im not really throwin a bone towards anyone in this fight cause i see it both ways, but i think what hes trying to say is the competition and the level of all around pitchers, fielders and everything.

gotta give props to AA teams as well as AAA.