TBCA showcase tryout

Ballguy22

Let me see if I got this right. Looking at the list there are 24 spots, and it looks like the AAA breakdown is District 1 - 7 or 8 (I am hazy on who is AAA, AA up there), 11 from districts 3 & 4, and ONE from district 2?

Did the IMAC guys not show up? While I admit that I don't have many complaints with whom was picked, the representation just looks terrible.

Was there something sent out or posted other than the message on CoachT?

Edited by raiderray

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, all of these spots aren't selected based on tryouts and who is deserving based on the performance during tryouts. I have reviewed the list posted on Wildcatbaseball.com, and find it funny that Farragut and Halls each had 3 players "placed" on the team. Were these spots automatically saved for each of these teams to "place" a representative from them? I was at both tryouts and saw those that did tryout. Without mentioning names, how did Clinton make it, 3b-Farragut, 2b- Halls, and P/OF- Webb? What was the criteria? Was it based on what you did during the season, or what you did during the tryout? I'm sorry, but something smells rotten here! Should players be penalized because they can't come to the tryout because they are in memphis? NO! Question is, if they were their and tried out, had a bad tryout, would they have made it based on their season. Yep! Point is, why have the tryouts? Got to be a better way to select the very best from each region, to represent that region. Either tryout or be selected due to performance during the season. Not either, or.

CoachFro- I'll be there rooting you on in Murfeesboro, although I question some of your selections. Did you decide that you could win on pitching alone, or are you going to manufacture runs to win? I know a few true power hitters that you left at home. Hope you don't end up needing them?

THIS IS A REPLY TO THE LAST POSTED MESSAGE ABOUT TBCA TRYOUTS.

I AGREE WITH THE LAST POST RESPONSE. SOME KIDS THAT WAS NOT ON THE HALLS OR FARRAGUT TEAM DESERVE TO BE ON THE REGION 1 AND 2 ASSEMBLED TEAM. THE KIDS AT THE TRYOUTS SHOULDN'T BE PENALIZED FOR NOT BEING ON EITHER OF THE TEAMS "HALLS AND FARRAGUT". SAVING SPOTS ON TBCA SHOWCASE TEAM SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED. SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING IS VERY FISHY HERE. THERE ARE A LOT OF TALENTED BALL PLAYERS THAT THINK THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH BECAUSE OF POLITICS. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

THERE WERE SIX SPOTS FOR SURE THAT QUALITY BALL PLAYERS THAT TRIED OUT DIDN'T GET. THIS SETS VERY LOW STANDARDS FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION "TBCA". IT IS A SHAME, THAT IT IS WHO YOU KNOW THAT REGULATES WHO PLAYS.

:lol:

Thank you for your support bleachercoach.

I wish there were a "sure-fire" way to choose the best 25 kids from region 1&2. The simple truth of the matter is that we simply do the best job we can in "finding" these guys.

We even solicited the expertise of a pro scout this year- a guy who didn't know the players and didn't have a "dog in the fight" to help objectively choose this team.

There's no doubt we're going to miss some guys. We're human and we make mistakes - sometimes BIG ones!

Please know and recognize that while I have some "say" in who makes this team, I'm certainly not the only guy involved in the selection.

I was really "rooting" for one of my OWN "big swingers" to make this team. There's a fine line between "politicking" for my own guys and letting their talents speak for themselves in the tryout. My guy DIDN'T make it. I HATE that, but remember that often times the pro and college scout's focus is different from ours. They tend to look at SPEED and ARM STRENTH as the "only" tools - almost to a fault. When we, the coaches and scouts who choose this team, make our decisions, we often take this into consideration. This means there are a lot of GREAT hitters out there who get left off a team like this. I would include the guy I was "rooting for" in this category.

Please know that while I sometimes casually "browse" these threads, I try not to actively engage in them. You will likely not read any more explanations from me, because I fear becoming a part of the "peanut gallery" chatter that these threads sometimes foster. As I'm sure many of my players and players' parents will attest, I have a rather easy time making an IDIOT of myself!

coachfro,

Also some very good players have no interest in playing and won't tryout...I find that sad. I for one appreciate coaches like yourself for making the effort to help these players with their future. It would be much easier for you to stay home with that pretty little daughter of yours.

Would still like to know what the criteria was for making the team? Was this tryout done for the sole purpose of putting together the best possible tournament team available? I know that everyone evaluates talent differently, but there has to be some general quidelines that were followed. I could only hope that the TBCA will go back to the drawing board and put together a more equitable way of selecting a team. Or, was this just a region 1/2 way of putting the team together? (holding slots open for players selected by coaches in the state)

When I was putting a summer traveling team together, I held 2 different tryouts, on different days, and selected players from those tryouts. There were several times that I had to turn away kids that wanted to play, that for whatever the reason, didn't tryout. Prior to the tryout, I knew what kind of player they were and knew they could help my team, but I couldn't hold a spot open for them simply because they didn't come to the tryout. Is that fair or equitable? It was to the kids that followed the quidelines and tried out. It wasn't to the one's that, for whatever reason, didn't tryout.

CoachFro- Ask yourself this, how can you put the 6 players on the team from the state tourn., that didn't tryout, because of their stats during the season, or because of their coach placing them in slots left open, and by your own admission, leave a player from your own h.s. team off just because he had a bad tryout? Knowing, that this kid simply had a bad tryout. See my point?

The kids from Farragut and Halls deserve a spot on this team as well. You can't penalize them for participating in the state tournament. I have been involved in this showcase as a coach for the last three years and I agree with Coachfro that deserving players are left off. The TBCA does this showcase to recognize and "showcase" their talents. I don't think that there is a correct way to choose these teams because kids who may be deserving are going to be left off. As high school coaches we have to encourage our players to tryout and get involved in what is going on with the TBCA because we need all of the help we can get. You need to be at MTSU June 18-19 to see a great weekend of baseball. CoachFro thanks for all you do for the TBCA.