Benches clear Goodpasture vs USJ

wad

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Moreland is a fierce competitor, a great kid, and a very hardddddd working baseball player!!!! Jay could play for me anyday of the week. People until you have played in a game of this magnitude you can't predict what you yourself would do in this situation. It has nothing to do with being a Christian. Christians and Non-Christians make mistakes. Remember this website is meant for positive comments to promote our Tennessee High School athletes! Keep up the hard work, Jay!!

After the benches cleared the goodpasture catcher was caught between the USJ 1st baseman and the USJ catcher. Both are very large ball players who can hold their own. It almost got REAL bad for him. Good job by the USJ coaching staff getting control of their players.

I don't mind a little gamesmanship, It adds color to the game. But if this player knows enough about baseball to dish it out. How can he NOT expect to get plunked. If it happens be happy your in their heads and TAKE YOUR BASE.

I don't know the player, but I remember other players who loved to dish it out but could not take it. All great players, but in the long run it came back to haunt them. Hope he learned from this. Because it sounds like this happens a lot.

Edited by wad

This is how the situation went down ...

runners on 2nd and 3rd and 2 out,with GP up 10-3 in the 5th ... USJ is out of pitching .....

A J Morris hit Jay Moreland in the back ( obviously on purpose b/c it was a 0-0 count) Moreland then smiled and Morris curresed back at him ...Moreland and Morris then shouted at each other as Moreland headed to first base .... USJ catcher Josh Liles and First Baseman Jeremy Foust got beteween Moreland and Morris ... as the whole Bruin defense were right behind Morris including the outfielders .... their bench emptied when Moreland yapped back at Morris .. as Moreland approached first base he pushed again and the whole GP team can to his aide to prevent him from retailting .... no punches were thrown ..... The Bruin have nothing to lose by causing a fight ... they knew they were elimnated ... all they were trying to do ... was make GP play w/o some of their players in the title game

This was the first incident in the game tho ... in the top of the 2nd on a trip to the mound by assisstant coach Scott Ballard ... USJ coach Brad Dyer said something to Moreland as Moreland looked his direction the way back to plate ... this set off heat exchange between Dyer and Jay's dad on the third base side ....

Also ... on tuesday in the opening game between the teams ....on double play ball the Bruin players were yelling "break his legs" on the slide into second base ....

So before you call GP classless ... lets no lay all blame at thier door step ... why i do agree that GP should have stayed in the dugouts .... USJ is to blame as well ....and their coaching staff is classless .... USJ players didnt even want to shake hands at the end of the game ....

Both Schools should share equal blame and GP is lucky that no one was ejected or suspended

My thoughtson the issue(I wasnt there):

It's part of the game. The catcher has got a big mouth and he wanted some action.Thats his fault, he should be punished. When he takes one step towards the mound, regardless of why, it is the duty of his teamates to defend him just as it is the duty of the USJ players to defend their pitcher.

That religion stuff is total BS. Because they read the bible they cant be competitive and show emotion. Thats a crock of BS. They're people too, and your judging them, which I believe is an equal offense to fighting when it comes to the words in that ancient story book called "the bible".

There is nothing wrong (in the real world at least) with defending your friends and teamates.

veercoach,

I have not seen it yet, but the tape is on the way from a Jackson news source. After seeing USJ and their coaches for 4 years, I find your statement of classless, uninformed. Noted USJ will not back down, nor will they start a fight just to have GP play without some players. Since USJ has never played GP I must listen to people who have played them. Every one seems to say the same thing. The kid runs his mouth to much. Even people from the 2nd game GP played in Memphis. Or is everyone just picking on him. As for daddy and Dyer. Coach Dyer is a class act. If he did say something to the catcher, I'll bet you the catcher running his mouth to Dyer. As for daddy. All i can say, It sounds like Daddy has a lot of practice defending his son.

Man I wish we didn't have to leave Memphis so soon... this would have been interesting to see. As I said in my earlier post, Moreland is an outspoken player. Some people take that to mean that he is overly cocky or just classless. From the 3 times we have played them, that is not necessarily the case. When I was hitting, he was nothing but complimentary and the same thing when he came to the plate and I was catching. He obviously is a very emotional player, and in the heat of battle, emotions tend to run high. His might have gotten a little too close to the boiling point, but as we all know everybody makes mistakes. I'm sure his coach told him after the game that he should have treated that situation differently, and next time he probably will. I am not defending him (I was not there to see the play), and I am not downing him in the least. Some people just take it the wrong way when ballplayers are emotional and outspoken.