Time to thank Memphis and the TSSAA

cartercountydufus2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queenie, maybe you have hit on something. Well, not exactly building complete facilities but a partnership in facilities. Take Murfreesboro, Nashville or Chattanooga and have those cities put packages together for a ten year commitment. All parties involved need to have investment in it for it to be a successs. I don't know how much the TSSAA puts up for the Fling if any at all but if they invested some money in it alongside of the participating city, both would be very concerned about attendance,appearance and coverage.

This thing isn't simple but centrally located in the state is a must IF the package is good enough to give the athletes great venues, good media coverage and hotels good enough to not have flea and tick spray in their vending machines.

I thought the softball fields were fine. Then again I don't build them or maintain them. I didn't see any bad hops or things like that.

Granted plaing in Mississippi makes for a good punch line, but the quailty of play hasn't been diminished and the value of the title is still the same.

I'm not saying I'm a big fan of TSSAA or anything, but I think Memphis has done a great job with the Spring Fling.

Queenie, He has no idea. He was at Autozone Park because that is where he is employed. So of course he thinks Memphis is fine.

How many teams were at the softball tournaments in Cookeville, Gibbs, Greeneville and Eastman to name a few. A whole lot more than 24. TSSAA isn't going to build a complex it would take $$$$$$$ out of Carter and the rests pocket. What do they care about what people say. They know they could send softball to Iraq and there still would be 24 teams go. Because it is a state tournament.

Why does people think there was so many District, Regional and Sectional games this year. Extra gate money and if it isn't turned in to the TSSAA in a week the host schools get fined.

Queenie, He has no idea. He was at Autozone Park because that is where he is employed. So of course he thinks Memphis is fine.

How many teams were at the softball tournaments in Cookeville, Gibbs, Greeneville and Eastman to name a few. A whole lot more than 24. TSSAA isn't going to build a complex it would take $$$$$$$ out of Carter and the rests pocket. What do they care about what people say. They know they could send softball to Iraq and there still would be 24 teams go. Because it is a state tournament.

Why does people think there was so many District, Regional and Sectional games this year. Extra gate money and if it isn't turned in to the TSSAA in a week the host schools get fined.

Wrong, I wasn't at AutoZone Park at all Friday. Heck, I'm not at the park right now, even though the Redbirds are playing. Working at the ballpark has nothing to do with what I think of Memphis.

As for the stories about giving the trophies in garbage bags, was it to keep them dry? I know it rained more and longer in Southaven than it did where I was Friday.

QueenBee, the team plaques were presented to the head coaches while the players stood on respective baselines. Then the teams were thrown a garbage bag with T-shirts in them to disperse amidst the players. No MVP, no all-tourney selections and the tourney officials seemed to be in a hurry to get out of there. Other than that the tourney seemed to run well from the winners bracket perspective.

Ya'll act like there was some tremendous awards ceremony in Chattanooga and it just ain't so. There were no championship tee shirts or medalions given in Chattanooga unless it was in 2002 which is the only spring fling I have missed in 11 years. The only real problem with this fling was the geography, not that it was in Mississippi but that it was in the far southwest corner of the state which was a long travel for the likes of a Unicoi County. Otherwise it was a much better fling than Chattanooga ever put on.

I'm just glad to know that the awards were not given to the players in a white garbage bag...makes me feel better...I would hate to think that the girls would be treated that way....

I know that I would be crying to see the Smith Co. girls standing on the baseline... wouldn't matter where....receiving awards for being in the STATE tournament...can't wait for that day...

std, I agree...I can only speak about what happened at the Fling in 2002........but the "Ceremony" consisted of the Coach being handed a plaque.....oh yea, the Coach did get the poster board bracket that had been on the bulletin board.......the GIRLS didn't get ANYTHING! And as for missing Graduation.....my daughter and her senior teammates missed Graduation.....when we found out they would be playing and not able to make Graduation......one of our sophomores Dad's drove home that day.......got their caps, gowns and diplomas and had them at the game that night...after the game the girls put their caps and gowns on over dirty ball uniforms and we had Graduation......Coach presented each girl their diploma at home plate.......they wouldn't have had it any other way. My daughter had said all along, she didn't intend to be at Graduation, she planned to be wining a State Championship!

Ms. Dropball

Edited by dropball

Anyone heard why the Memphis fields were not ready for softball again? How long will Memphis/Mississippi have the Spring Fling? Ronnie Carter, where are you? Counting money probably!

One thing I heard was that the church they'd originally planned to use refused to let the fields be available on Wednesday night in case of rain.

But again, even last year, Carter was already saying that they were almost certain to go back to Greenbrook.

One thing I heard was that the church they'd originally planned to use refused to let the fields be available on Wednesday night in case of rain.

But again, even last year, Carter was already saying that they were almost certain to go back to Greenbrook.

Thanks for the info about the fields. Help me understand something please, Was TSSAA planning to use a church's fields for the softball state tourney?