NAIA World Series

Eddie

I know this is a high school board, but Cumberland University has so many former players in the Middle TN coaching ranks I thought I'd mention it. The Bulldogs play for the NAIA World Series title tonight (Thursday) at 9 p.m. Central in Idaho. They take on top-seeded Oklahoma City -- a team CU sent to the losers bracket on Monday. Good Luck 'Dogs! Live radio coverage can be heard on WCOR AM-900 (and WANT FM 98.9 after the Sounds game). Cumberland is undefeated, so a OKU win would set up a winner-take-all game Friday at 9 p.m.

Former CU guys now serving as head coaches -- Sloane at Lincoln Co., Ford at Wilson Central, Clairday at Grundy County, Purvis at Mt. Juliet, Luttrell at Watertown, Mills at White House . . .

GO CU!

First class program. First class coach. No one would be more deserving of a national championship than Woody Hunt. I would argue that nobody in middle Tennessee has had a bigger impact on high school baseball than him.

He does things the right way.

Cumberland wins 10-3. Donnie Burkhalter is named MVP. Mt. Juliet's Derek Depew Friendship Christian's Josh Underhill and Oakland's Caleb Barrett were named to the all-tournament team. CU finishes the season 59-21. CONGRATULATIONS BULLDOGS!

CUMBERLAND BULLDOGS 2004 NAIA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

CU defeats Oklahoma City 10-3. Former Trousdale Co. star Craig Moreland with a 3-run blast to put the game away!

As a former CU Basseball alumni, I can not put into words what this means to me and all of the players that has played baseball at CU through the years.

Coach Hunt is a class act. He really deserves the title. He and I are very close and I could not be any happier for him. My emotions are so high right now. I am gonna find my old jersey, hat and my 1993 world series ring and wear them tomorrow night in my summer class at MTSU. WAY TO GO 'DAWGS!!!!!!!!

On a more personal note: What a year in baseball it has been for me. I coach at Grundy County and we made the state tournament, finishing fourth with a 33-9 record. Now, CU is the 2004 National Champs! 2004 will be a year that I'll always remember.

Thanks to my Grundy players for making this a special year for me.

Thank you Coach Hunt for making me the coach and man that I am today. Without your support and "tough love", I wouldn't be the person I am today.

I can't wait to get a 2004 National Championship T-Shirt. LOL!!!

Edited by jclariday

Congratulations to Coach Woody Hunt and the CU baseball team on getting that National Championship. I had the privilege of umpiring Coach Hunts 100th victory as a coach against the Univ. of Kentucky. He truly is a gentleman of the game and a great coach. I listened to the championship game on the internet and it was exciting. Eddie Orteaga should have gotten an all-tournament award, because it sounded like he battled hard all night to pitch that complete game against the best hitting team in the NAIA. Enjoy the off-season and I know you will.