Marselus Johnson of Smyrna commits to UT

REBELRON

BHSOL -That is obviously the stupidest statement I have ever read on coach t period. Other than H,ville-Riverdale-Gallatin-Brentwood-Lincoln County-Coffe County he didn't play against anybody!!!!

I have been around high school football for many years in several locations around the state. As I have said before I even saw Coach T play in high school.

This young man is as good an athlete as I have seen. He can run, catch, play defense and is very tough as shown in his playing tailback (not his college position)

against the best teams in the state and running hard every play.

Some other things folks might want to know is that he works extra every day after practice with one of the coaches to keep his grades up and prepare for his act/sat test he is committed to excelling. Keeps his mouth shut and practices and plays hard everyday he is exactly the type player UT should recruit and others should not say he only looked good because of playing poor teams.

bhs wasn't impressed when Smyrna played them???

he only had

1 interception

1 td rushing

1 td catch

over 100 yrds rushing (despite Shanon having the most carries that game since Blackman did not want to tackle him.)

other than that he really did not do much

I would also say the Oakland team at the end of last year was not the same as earlier just ask Lincoln County.

This is the type kid people should cheer for he has worked hard and deserves whatever comes to him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

I have nothing but respect for Johnson. He is not a "me" player like others that come to mind in Rutherford County. I hope things come thru for him in a big way this year. Good Luck to him!

I haven't seen too many of the highly touted and nationally ranked in the recruiting books D-1 players from Riverdale cut it in college. ( and we are talking MTSU...............................)

Edited by region4fan

I can't believe anyone had anything bad to say about Marsalous. I have known Marsalous for a long time and there is no doubt that he is SEC material. He is one of the fastest people I have seen play football. I remember watching him gain 200+ yards in middle school. Marsalous is a great athlete who will shine at UT.

has been----

Glad you got to see him in a couple of games I would have thought all the schools would call you first for your input after your exhaustive unbiased study of talent.

DI SIGNINGS FROM SMYRNA and what other said about their DI chances and why they wouldn't be offered by a "big school")

Stanford- Luke Powell (to small)

Notre Dame- David Wolke (no heart)

Tennessee- Marsalous Johnson (has been says not sec material )

Charles Orona is also getting lots of DI attention so don't be suprised to see him go somewhere also.

Once again check out his highlight tape at www.storkmontgomery.com

If you don't see the drive and determination (he is also playing out of position at TB he will be a DB in college). I also have the tape of that game you know how many times they threw to his side or his man-----------------------------------------------------0 zero

I will guarantee you one thing ----- he will stay out of other players wallets while he is there!

Hey region it nice to be ------ off again! It's been a while.

Hey 82 Cat,

This is what I think about what others have said...

Luke Powell too small? Evidently he has the heart to play where he is at today. David Wolke no heart? Name another QB out of the state of Tennessee since the Notre Dame stadium opened in 1892 or so - that received a full paid ride, can you name one? I didn't think so! (and it definitely takes heart to get where he is going) Johnson evidently has something that UT wanted, he is fast and very good as a junior. By the way, where did you play college ball? <_<:angry:

Edited by touchdown

It's interesting that I've heard so much about David Wolke and so little about Marselus Johnson. I'd been told that the reason Smyrna didn't post better records was that Wolke had little talent around him; I guess those people were at least partially wrong. I'm glad to see Johnson sign with the Vols, and hope he has a stellar senior season to build some momentum for the 3-hour journey east.

How did Smyrna formulate its game plan this past season in order to maximize the big-play potential of both Wolke and Johnson? Will Johnson see more carries this year after Wolke's departure?

Edited by WesVols

I said before last season Marsalous was being overlooked and was the real deal (ck my post- region 4 fan can review them and have the post number in minutes!) because of Wolke which was fine with me.

Smyrna will be more of a veer team this yr since we have a veer type QB in Orona

The amazing thing about Marsalous's stats are he got them on a team that threw a lot and he shared carries with another back(Shanon) and split time at wide receiver.

i think marcelous will be an awsome pick-up for the Vols... i just always thought he wanted to go to FSU.. well good luck to him in college cause i know he'll do really well..

as for Orona.. hes the real deal also.. i look for him to sign a D1 scholarship.. i think they both Orona and Johnson need to hit the books but its great to know that Johnson is studying with coaches to get his ACT scores up.. i think Orona should do the same

the smyrna program is starting to produce a lot of good athletes.. hats off to the coaches there...

sorry, but after playing against this johnson kid for a couple of years and watching him play this past year, i don't think he is sec material at all. he would be better off at a d-2 school or a junior college for starters. all of his big games came against the teams that bhsOL cited in his post.

I think we ought to listen to this guy. I mean, forget that Tennessee is only one of the best recruiting teams in the country. I'm sure their coaches don't know what real potential looks like. They're just going to give this division ll-caliber guy a shot out of the goodness of their heart. Nevermind the scholarship they're giving up in the process..................Not likely, I'm sure they know just a little bit more than some "has been" thats posting on a high school sports website.