Murfreesboro

BDURHAM

I think what people dont understand is that a lot of wins doesnt always mean s lot of talent. Riverdale , with the exception of some of the early 90s and the 2001 team, always has a bunch of good athletes but none are great. They win because they are a team. If you look at De La Salle they hardly ever have more than one or two D1 signees but 140 something wins is a lot. They beat a team with 6 Div 1A signees in Long Beach Poly. And some of those poly players either already made all american or are on preseason lists. Good players win games in high school but only great players get div 1 scholarships. Another factor is that some schools only offer partial scholarships and some kids still cant afford the schooling.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

A great winning team usually has some talent, great coaching, tradition, depth, heart,and a huge following willing to get them the very best equipment and trainers.

I watched Riverdale at Oak Ridge last season in the Semifinals. I saw a kid #37 and heard he was only a sophomore. That kid could play. I saw him run down Corey Booker like he was sitting still. I watched Riverdale teams of the past and I thought they were more talented than last years team. Riverdale was quick and fast last year but didn't have much size. I remember seeing a 175lbs noseguard last year.

Riverdale had a 175 lb noseguard and two other starting DL that were under 200 lbs. Dang if I can figure out how that line got them to the BC Bowl. At Riverdale, if you don't have the physical tools you are expected to overachieve. No excuses!!

Seems that all of these threads turn in to Riverdale bashing and mostly from people that have no idea what they are talking about. I guess if you have the kind of team that just disintergrates you have nothing to do but bash the other guy.

On a more positive note, and, unlike some others, I tend to try and stay positive, I think that #37 Antwone Smith has an excellent chance to be D1 prospect. Best cover corner I've seen in quite a while and was only a sophommore. He will have to grow to D1 size though. Antwone also looked great catching the football at WR this spring.

Potential college players from this fall's team (seniors):

Dave Thomas what position?

Chris Perkins

Phillip Thomas

Ramel Oliver

Jermaine Alsup

Derente Frazier

And some other with a chance....

region4fan, did you attend Utopia High School? I agree with TDC man. If you can't beat the guy at the top on the field, just keep chipping away at the soft underbelly. Attack a high school player's character without nowing the facts. You keep mentioning Ralph King. Has it ever occurred to you that he might have been resource? Or that he worked hard in the classroom? Ever heard of special education? I don't know if that's the case or not and if I did know I would not reveal that on here. Just remember, you're talking about KIDS. Ralph is an adult now, yes, and is playing at MTSU. Maybe a pat on the back for him for at least working hard to get himself eligible. You represent Oakland, right? Has everything been perfect there? You mentioned BA....why not Oakland? And why didn't your son go to BA? (Who have definitely had their share of problems too, BTW)

Guest region4fan

My son went to Oakland because I believe in going to the school that your ZONE lines puts you in. I also don't believe in uprooting your family and moving to an area where your kid can be in a top notch football program . I didn't send my son to BA b/c I don't personally believe in private schools. I wanted my son to learn life lessons ,and what the real world is actually like. My son did well at Oakland and has already graduated from college. He was fortunate that he learned to get along with and love his teammates( even those who were from different backgrounds and cultures.) They will be brothers for life. He got a good education at Oakland , and got a state champ ring while he was there too. And even if he had not gotten the ring, he made memories in the classrooms, hallways, locker room, etc that he would never trade for anything. He loved his coaches, every one of them, and still does. Was everything perfect there? No, we had our share of problems. But never was there a time when I felt that I needed to go tell the coach what to do, complain to the principal, or spout off in my local newpaper.

I would never have gotten on this forum and said a word about anything if my son were still playing there either. But face it, there are things that go on in this county that are not legal, fair, or moral and I am tired of them getting swept under the rug all the time.

region4fan, it seems like some people just get their kicks by bashing on you. I played at Riverdale in 1999. I personally knew several players who failed 3-4 classes and still got to play. By the way congradulations on your schoolastic achievements. What position did your son play?

Some people say that Riverdale doesn't always have the biggest or most talented guys. All the times that I played against them, it seemed to me that these guys made up for it in strength and speed: the fastest and strongest D-line I ever played against, and Oakland's was pretty darn good too.

Guest region4fan

TDC, you are a good man and I think it is admirable how you have jumped in there and defended your son's actions. I have always had the utmost respect for you and everything that you stand for. We disagree sometimes, but you know I have taken up for your team on more than one occasion. And even though most Oakland people hate Siegel for many reasons ( and most are truly justified), I can't help but feel some loyalty for David Watson.He is an Oakland alumni that has provided me with many hrs of football enjoyment in high school and in college. Plus many of my neighbors have kids on that team and they were former Oakland Patriots. ;) I know that they will get it together and do well over there. I just have this thing for underdogs!

Bhsol.............Truthfully, that is what I love about coacht, it makes you have to battle with words. I really enjoy the comraderie on here. As you can see from my many posts, I just keep coming back for more. I have had many a skirmish on here . A lot of the folk that have attacked me have never been back on since our wars. I have also made some fantastic friends on here. I will tell you that I have always liked your posts. Your heart and love for the game shines thru in your words. You would have been one of my favorites if you had played at OHS........one of those TEAM players that are the soul of the team. I am thrilled that you have gotten back on. Tell me, where has Slim been???? Plus I know that you are a Watson fan too!

My son's actions?

If '66 needs adopted I'll consider it. ;)

I have a son that will be a senior at Riverdale this fall but he doesn't play football. He doesn't post on CoachT either. Actually, I'm not sure what he does most of the time??

I adopted Riverdale when I moved here several years back. I don't know what went on in the past. From my observations, Riverdale is succesful because the program is moving at full speed and everyone is pulling together. Riverdale practices take place at a level of speed and intensity that is greater than what you see in most games. Every player earns their spot every day.

I get a little frustrated at what I feel are unfair attacks on a pretty good program. I don't know what happened to Oakland after '98 but I don't think it is Riverdale's fault. Players will transfer. A.J. Alexander is a perfect example. Players have to do what is best for them. The DNJ published a stat not long ago that 42% of households in Rutherford County are renters. I think that was the right number. If so, transfers will be a way of life for a long to to come...we might as well get use to it.

Guest region4fan

TDC sorry, bhsol had mentioned that he missed RHs hasbeen's dad's posts. I forgot about the fact that the poster RIVERDALE has a son too. you jumped on it so fast that I just assumed he was yours. I am the same way though, we Oakland folk try to take care of each other too.

Frost, why do you want me to name names? That would be "attacking kids" wouldn't it?? BUT....... Email me personally and I will glad to name names, give facts, etc. thumb thumb thumb My email is mrregion4fan@yahoo.com

Edited by region4fan