East & West Shrine Bowl

THE KING

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to coaching....the KY coaches far and away superior to the TN coaches in the TN KY game and the West coaches far and away better than the East coaches in the Shriners Game.

How were they that much better? What do you think the West coaches would have done differently had they been coaching the East roster?

TN KY Game the defensive coaches for TN allowed the interior lineman to both go outside opening a huge gap in the middle. Despite repeated draws for big yards up the middle by KY ...this continued and IMO cost TN the chance to come back. In addition the TE for KY went uncovered roaming across the middle and caught repeated passes in the same general area of the field. On the offesive side of the ball IMO they lacked imagination, there were no slants, few screens, and overall predictible calls given the down and distance.

In the Shriners game I felt that the East coaches should have tried to abandon there run game early, given the tremendous difference in ability between the East O -Line and the West D-line. Had East run a series of short quick passes, similar to what West ran, I believe they could have neutralized the tremendous impact the West D-Line made on that game. Perhaps the assets weren't there or there wasn't enough time to teach routes, whatever the case it looked bad.

As to where I coach....In my mind only and I do it best on Monday Mornings!

The coach for the east paid Byrd a very good compliment just before the second half started. It was obvious that the west's line on both sides of the ball was far superior. The skill players, no matter who they are, have to have blocking.

Cristman made a good showing, in my opinion. I sure would like to see him playing here at Tusculum, also.

Edited by moosebychoice

Byrd is 5'9, which is still too short to play QB, but will still be a force wherever he plays. Back to the East-west game. The O and D lines were horrible or maybe the west was just that good. I was impressed with the Wests execution considering only one week of practice. The West coaches seemed to have the East coaches number when it came to intelligence of offense. The East and their 1950's style offense could do nothing. The west ran the shotgun with precision and had a good mix with the running game. Any hick coach can run the ball up the middle or around the end and the west was stopping it every time. Failure to mix up the offense was key to the Easts defeat.