Attention All Hamilton County Athletes

DelTavian

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't looked it up. What the devil is that??? B)

He's beating me pretty regular. I have caught more "big" fish this year but not many more.

We're headed to the ocean July 19 and going on a charter July 22. 15 hour trip. We hope to limit out in amberjack, snapper and grouper. I'd really love for him to catch a shark. If he does I'll get it mounted. I may get something mounted anyway. He needs one from the ocean on the wall.

Del.

To quote our good friend Iamoz {from a similiar discussion on the "open discussion" board} it is the study of speech and debate.

You and boy have a great time, take the sunscreen and don't charter a boat from this guy!!

pic37.jpg

No, we don't cut up dead bodies... :D

Here's the history on the word forensics. The word actually means "the ability to speak." When expert witnesses were called upon to testify in court, they were called "forensic experts" because they had the ability to speak about the case in question. Pretty soon the term became used to describe any crime scene investigator.

High school forensics has been around for years as well. The activity includes several events, such as Debate (a few different kinds), Impromptu Speaking, Extemporaneous Speaking, Humorous Interpretation (students perform a funny play all by themselves), and Original Oratory (students write and deliver a 10-minute speech...my bread and butter). The National Forensics League is HUGE nationwide, with some of the finest teams coming from California, Florida, and Minnesota. Its President, though, is Billy Tate from MBA. The forensics team at Brentwood Academy, created in 1996, has been in the top ten in the nation since 1999...I was proud to be a part of it, though I was never a primary contributor to the team's success at the national tournament since I never qualified.

My favorite event, Impromptu Speaking, required us to draw a topic from a hat, take 2 minutes to prepare a speech, and deliver a 5-minute speech on the topic we drew. It was tough at first, but easy after a couple tournaments simply because it was such an effective way to train the mind and mouth to work together. I will never forget some of the topics I drew and speeches I gave, and will forever be indebted to the experience I had in forensics because it has opened many other doors for me as an aspiring broadcaster/journalist.

It was even more important to me than high school football...I missed three Brentwood Academy Clinic Bowls because of a national circuit forensics tournament in Philadelphia; ironically enough, our forensics team always garnered a bigger trophy than our football team that weekend.

Worthless information? Probably for most of you. But the activity means a lot to me and I'm always happy to promote it...unlike the city of Chattanooga.

A fun fact...75% of lawyers and congressmen participated in high school debate/forensics. So did Oprah, Jane Pauley, Ted Turner, Gerald Ford, and even Shelley Long.

No, we don't cut up dead bodies... :D

Here's the history on the word forensics. The word actually means "the ability to speak." When expert witnesses were called upon to testify in court, they were called "forensic experts" because they had the ability to speak about the case in question. Pretty soon the term became used to describe any crime scene investigator.

High school forensics has been around for years as well. The activity includes several events, such as Debate (a few different kinds), Impromptu Speaking, Extemporaneous Speaking, Humorous Interpretation (students perform a funny play all by themselves), and Original Oratory (students write and deliver a 10-minute speech...my bread and butter). The National Forensics League is HUGE nationwide, with some of the finest teams coming from California, Florida, and Minnesota. Its President, though, is Billy Tate from MBA. The forensics team at <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a>, created in 1996, has been in the top ten in the nation since 1999...I was proud to be a part of it, though I was never a primary contributor to the team's success at the national tournament since I never qualified.

My favorite event, Impromptu Speaking, required us to draw a topic from a hat, take 2 minutes to prepare a speech, and deliver a 5-minute speech on the topic we drew. It was tough at first, but easy after a couple tournaments simply because it was such an effective way to train the mind and mouth to work together. I will never forget some of the topics I drew and speeches I gave, and will forever be indebted to the experience I had in forensics because it has opened many other doors for me as an aspiring broadcaster/journalist.

It was even more important to me than high school football...I missed three <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> Clinic Bowls because of a national circuit forensics tournament in Philadelphia; ironically enough, our forensics team always garnered a bigger trophy than our football team that weekend.

Worthless information? Probably for most of you. But the activity means a lot to me and I'm always happy to promote it...unlike the city of Chattanooga.

A fun fact...75% of lawyers and congressmen participated in high school debate/forensics. So did Oprah, Jane Pauley, Ted Turner, Gerald Ford, and even Shelley Long.

Come on now Wes, do we need to start a forensics board? Let's keep it sports related ;) . Although, we do have alot of people on these boards who could be master debators... :lol:

MBA debate owns BA debate! :P And if you don't agree, Mr. Tate will sit on you!

-TheBigRedDog, member, National Forensic League(1993)