Best 10 Midstate Coaches

B52Bomber

List, in order, your vote for the best 10 head or asst. coaches in the mid-state.

Have some reason for you selections, not just "I think".

Heres mine:

1) Ron Adeylott- Hillsboro (took a garbage dump and made them a champ)

2) Gary Rankin- Riverdale (always a contender)

3) Clint Satterfield-Trousdale (track record of excellence)

4) Jeff Porter- White House (never has a down year)

5) Mac McCurry- Marshall Co. (winning percentage is in the top 5 statewide)

6) Glen McAdams- Lipscomb (solid program with no "chinks in the armor")

7) Tim Johnson- Franklin (turned program around quickly)

8) Roger Perry- Portland (consistent, will be good again quickly)

9) Tommy Tharp- Sycamore (wins with less talent than most)

10) Louis Thompson- Lincoln County (Old school football at its finest)

Just my picks. What about yours?

Edited by B52Bomber

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list is almost impossible to keep at just 10 with so many good programs.

The obvious one you missed is Carlton Flatt, as well as Jeff Rutledge. These two programs rule the private school arena, and no one has as many championships as the Legendary One. And what about BGA? Have to put props in for Ron Crawford: State Championship in his first year and two region titles, plus numerous trips to the State Championship while an assistant at Riverdale. He took the program to another level. While mentioning that, Jack Daniels took a down program and made it a yearly contender-he might be the top assistant in the mid-state this year.

In no particular order except for the first guy:

1)Carlton Flatt - Academy

Will be the winningest coach in TN history this season, 9 state titles, 19 state championship appearances, 32 consecutive winning seasons

Jeff Rutledge - Montgomery Bell Academy

Legendary Bama QB, Vandy assistant, 2-2 state titles in Super Seven, made good MBA squads into great ones thanks to the best offensive scheme in Tennessee

Ron Crawford - Brentwood

Open offensive attack led Bruins to 2002 5A title, BHS tied for region title last year despite losing a Division 1-A QB in Austen Everson

Tim Johnson - Franklin

Took a previously 5-6 Rebel squad to the 5A Quarters in '02 and the 5A Semis in '03 with a new QB and RB, tied for the region title last year and came within 2 quarters of a trip to Murfreesboro, dynamic coaching style, balanced offensive attack

Gary Rankin - Riverdale

Led the Warriors from years of mediocrity to 3 state titles and 8 title appearances, dominating Region 4-5A and essentially becoming the default East bracket team in the Blue Cross Bowl

Scott Smith - Independence (formerly of Ezell-Harding)

Coached the Ezell Eagles to the 1A title in 2001, the first in the school's history; open offensive attack stymied defenses, leading to the most prolific offense in the state in 2001 and one of the finest again in 2002; if not for CPA, Ezell would have won it all in 2002 as well; it should be interesting to see how long it will take Smith to bring the Independence program to prominence

David Pack - Ensworth (formerly of CPA)

Former assistant under Carlton Flatt at Academy; a fine coach and classy leader; delivered state titles to the Den in 2000 and 2002, leading a tawdry young program into an era of dominance that will likely be duplicated at DII upstart Ensworth

Ron Aydelott - Hillsboro

Wing-T attack effectively utilized a stable of athletes, allowing them to earn a state title in 2003 and championship appearances (and narrow losses to Maryville) in '01 and '02. The king of region 5-4A

Clint Satterfield - Trousdale County

Brought 4 1A state championships to Hartsville ('90, '93, '97, '98); despite a student body of only 390, he made a seamless transition to 3A in 2001 and appeared in the playoffs each year out of one of the classification's toughest regions; ended Portland's dominance in Region 5-3A

Jack Pittman - Academy (defensive coordinator)

Gifted playcaller for some vaunted BA defenses, relates extremely well to students whether athlete or not, one of the best in the business

Other fine coaches:

Louis Thompson - Lincoln County

Greg Gregory - Centennial

Glenn McAdams - David Lipscomb

David Martin - Goodpasture

Robert Lassiter - Gallatin

Kirk Williams - Greenbrier

Edited by WesVols

Some people would disagree, but I think you have to mention Bruce Hatfield.

In 6 years at Hendersonville (first head coaching job) he has been to the championship game TWICE in 5A.

Been to the playoffs 5 of 6 years

Best two season records 12-3 and 13-2 (1998, 2001)

12-5 record in playoff games

Does all this with a school that has 6 other schools in the county, plus a private school.

Guest region4fan

Linemencoach,Just thought I would throw out that Rutherford County has LaVergne, Smyrna, Oakland, Blackman, Siegel, Riverdale, and Eagleville ( that's 7 high schools with football to compete with), and Rankin has Gold Balls galore. Quite an achievement I think.Plus, RHS seems to be the springboard for coaches to get head jobs. So not only does Rankin have to compete for the athletes in the county, he has to periodically hire in new coaches too.

However, Hatfield should be appauded for his efforts. Hopefully he will continue in that vein and really become a contender in this top ten.