Best QBs this year

statebound15

I saw Josh Garza throw at this summer's Vanderbilt Passing 7-on-7 camp. He's got a great arm and a very accurate passer. I was very impressed. There was one particular receiver that he favored and they were a great one-two punch. Garza's team came in second to Mt. Juliet and QB Levi Brown. Brown and Garza are definitely two of the state's top QBs this year.

Who do u think are the best quarterbacks of this comin year.

Personally i have to go with Josh Garza. I have known Garza since he has played jr. pro ball and every year he has gotten better and i dont see that changing this year. He had a heck of a year last year and if u thought he was good then just wait till this year.

I would appreciate other opinions.

825290821[/snapback]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be interesting to see how good a season both Garza and Brown have this year. Garza was a stud last year as a Junior and lit up everybody he played against. And, based on his performance during the passing leagues, he could have an even better season.....if that is possible. He is clearly one of the best in the state.

And, at least one publication thinks he is the best in the Mid-State. He was the first team QB on the Shoney's Prep Scrapbook Mid-State Pre-Season team.

Good luck to him and the War Eagles (except for October 8). Looking forward to the game! I am sure it will be a doosie like the two we had last year!

Cade Thompson- Maryville and Austin James- Greenback.  If James had the receivers he had in 2002, than he would definitely be at the top.  In my mind he's still one of the better QB's, he just doesn't have the team or receivers to do much of anything.

825294170[/snapback]

The reason James has the numbers he has is because if athletic recievers that can go get errant passes, and make yards after the catch. In 02, he had Irvin, Helton and Franklin. In 03 he had Helton, Walker, Morton, and Way out of the backfield. This year he has Way out of the backfield.

If you have watched James at all, you should have recognized the go-get-it efforts of the recievers much more than the accuracy (lack thereof). This year will show James true colors.

Word on the street is that he will be finished with football after high school. There are acouple of colleges that want him such as Harvard and Yale. Then again that is just how we roll at Sycamore.

825293956[/snapback]

I spoke with Mr. Garza today in person and he and his mom told me that they visited Princeton this summer and have looked at Yale and Harvard on football scholarships. He is pretty sure that he will go to college and continue to play.

Joei Fiegler from Alcoa is also going to be near the top as he had an outstanding Sophomore year trowing for over 2200 yards. This year he's stronger quicker and has matured a lot. I expect him to recieve all-state honors at the end of the season. One of the top recievers, Brandon Warren, will help him out a lot. Brandon is also by a long shot the most physical Reciever/Tight End in the state.

Joei Fiegler from Alcoa is also going to be near the top as he had an outstanding Sophomore year trowing for over 2200 yards. This year he's stronger quicker and has matured a lot. I expect him to recieve all-state honors at the end of the season.  One of the top recievers, Brandon Warren, will help him out a lot. Brandon is also by a long shot the most physical Reciever/Tight End in the state.

825294567[/snapback]

Brandon Warren is a stud. How good would have Alcoa been if Ronald Osborne and Bart Hicks stayed? Alcoa will be good anyway.

I spoke with Mr. Garza today in person and he and his mom told me that they visited Princeton this summer and have looked at Yale and Harvard on football scholarships. He is pretty sure that he will go to college and continue to play.

825294542[/snapback]

If that is true, I think that is great. Not often that a regular (i.e. Non-Private School) TN kid makes it to one of the Ivy league schools.....much less an athlete. I sincerely hope he is successful in landing that scholarship. Ultimately, the education is what matters and if he can get a football scholarship to an Ivy League School, I'll be rooting for him all the way (except on October 8)!

Duran Furguson at Dobyns-Bennett is a great QB, has the experience in the big game and a cannon for an arm. One thing that may make him stand out this year is that he has a number of fine, fine targets to throw to and an offense that will allow for big numbers.

He has come into fall practice at 220lbs and throwing it like a laser...there may be better out there, but Duran is pretty good!

It would be great to see the team do really well. I hope Austin has a great season, and from what I hear from everyone he has put in the effort over the summer to improve.

I hope that is true-- this season he will need to step up and be a leader. I hope for his sake, for the team's sake he can get the job done. This will be a proving year for him, and for the Cherokee's---

I hope it all works out...

Edited by NOLE