Biggest crowd at a game

tngator

I was at the Riverdale -BA championship game in 1995, well over 25,000 there. For regular season games, the Riverdale - Oakland games at MTSU in 98 had 15,000 to 20,000 and the playoff game had 20,000. The largest crowd I have ever seen for a high school game not played on a college field is probably 5,000 or so.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2002, Ooltewah played McMinn County for the second time at McMinn County in the playoffs.  It was standing room only on BOTH sides and it was packed!  I wish I had an official number, but it was probably the most attended high school game I've ever been to!

825291656[/snapback]

Yea, there were definetly a lot of people at that game.

I believe there was 10 to 11 thousand people at the Alcoa- Maryville game in 2001, Alcoa beat Maryville the year before and Maryville was looking for revenge,Alcoa had a very talented team and thought they could beat them but Maryville won in a landslide 44-19. Biggest highschool crowd I've ever seen.

By the way, how many people does J. Fred Johnson Stadium (DB) hold? I know it's a big one.

Yea, there were definetly a lot of people at that game.

825291821[/snapback]

The crowds are always huge when McMinn County plays at home. I remember that game you were talking about, and YES it was amazing to see. Homecoming this past year was pretty impressive to (vs Soddy Daisy).

i was at the smith co. v macon co. game there was a lot of people there but not as many as you think i got there right at kick off and walked in without standing in line.that stadium is just small. i got a great seat though i was standing under the field goal post in the endzone.

i was also at the redbank championship game when riggs was a senior there was a ton of people there that night. and it was about 20 degrees it started snowing in warmups and i dont think it ever stopped.

probably the biggest crowd ive seen for the size of the schools was south pitt. at hartsville in the mid 90's.i was just a little kid but i remember getting there at about 5:30 and they were standing 3 deep on the fence and the bleachers were full.probably a little under 10,000i wouldnt have got to see the game if we didnt have someone save a couple of seats for us.

Back about 3 or 4 years ago I went to a Briarcrest versus ECS game. There was over 7000 people for the two best teams in Division 2-AA...I believe that year both of them beat CBHS and MUS...BCS had players that would later play for Memphis, Arkansas Tech, Notre Dame, Northwest Mississippi, and also had one of the top 3 fullbacks in the state according to many publications (never played college). Pretty amazing amount of people when you consider it was regular season, and the schools combined at the time for less than 1000 students.

I saw an undefeated Overton team at undefeated Gallatin in the 80's druing the playoffs. Overton had Fruit Bell and the Davis kid as running backs and Nick Coutras' son at quarterback. Gallatin had Goo Baby Woods in its backfield. I'm guessing Gallatin seats 5,000 or so. Stands were full and people were 4 and 5 deep all the way around the field. Forgot to mention, it had rained badly all day and rained a little more during the game. Sloppiest game I ever saw.

Lee vs. Lanier at Cramptom Bowl in Montgomery will draw over 20,000 every year.

There's no way Boyd and SP had 7000.  How many does Boyd's stadium hold?

825291929[/snapback]

I'm not sure how many Boyd's stadium holds but there were about 7,000 people there i'm pretty sure. There were people packed around the whole stadium and full on both sides.

Edited by footballrox

was at the smith co. v macon co. game there was a lot of people there but not as many as you think i got there right at kick off and walked in without standing in line.that stadium is just small. i got a great seat though i was standing under the field goal post in the endzone.

There was officially between 6000 and 7000 at that game (I don't remember the exact count). The reason you walked right in was because most people were there 2 hours before the kickoff. Macon did an excellent job of having enough ticket takers to handle the demand. Most people bought their tickets in advance.

Edited by Antwan