3) Riverdale

4) Maryville

5) tie Christian Brothers / Memphis University School

6) Germantown

7) Dobyns Bennett

8) McCallie

9) tie Austin East and Fulton

10) Alcoa

MBA will win its third straight championship (6 championships in 7 years and 6-6 in clinic bowl appearances). Can't choose between CBHS-MUS and AE-Fulton. Both will be great games. Gotta wait to see the results in the season.

Anybody want to make changes?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give the preseason nod to Riverdale, given their returning players and some question (at least to us outsiders) as to the QB situation at MBA. MBA will, as always, get great experience from its scrimmage with Riverdale next week.

BA probably has the paper advantage over MBA in DIIAAA, but the Eagles had it as well in the '98 and '02 title games yet lost those.

Maryville looks about right for a preseason pick, although if they run the table impressively, they could make a legitimate claim to a Top 3 spot by season's end.

I'm not sold on CBHS; I think MUS will be the better of the two Super 7 teams in Memphis. And I'd probably give the nod to Germantown over both (G'town and CBHS meet up early in the regular season).

D-B will be good as always, and they may be ahead of Germantown. I still can't understand D-B's 40+ year title drought given the quality of teams they have had over the years.

McCallie, with two games versus out-of-state teams, should be pretty good, although as with MBA, QB is a question mark.

AE, Fulton, and Alcoa are so-so picks and should be contenders in 3A and 2A (Alcoa), although I'd probably rank some of the top 4A and 5A contenders ahead of them.

Yes, Riverdale is much better suited at number one. This might indeed be a "down" year for D-II AAA. I think the top two teams, right now, in 5A are better than MBA and BA.

1. Riverdale

2. Germantown

3. MBA

4. Maryville

5. BA

6. Kingsport DB

7. .... From here on, the rest of the top ten could be any number of teams. At this point in the game, it's just too hard to chose. These type of polls are better suited being done by class, if you ask me.

Nice list...I admire you for being the first one to post a top 10...always a tall order.

Alcoa, AE, and Fulton don't quite belong on the list -- they're fabulous teams in their respective classifications, but they have a lot to prove if they wish to be listed alongside the best 4A, 5A, and DII squads.

I'd also be somewhat skittish about putting McCallie up there since they lost some key players, including 3-year starting QB Ryan Moore...same with Christian Brothers after their ground-based offense lost so many linemen. Both will probably prove deserving of a top 10 spot by the end of the season, but they have a lot of kinks to work out first...still, I think McCallie will work things out quicker than CBHS, and though I'm cautious about ranking them very high, they'll be in my preseason top 10.

I also don't think MBA belongs in the #1 slot after losing their QB, HB, and top 2 WRs. They should be in the top 10, but are probably not the best team in the state.

I won't dish out comments without trying to rank them myself, so here's my very imperfect, bare-bones poll.

1 Riverdale

2 Brentwood Academy

3 Montgomery Bell Academy

4 Maryville

5 Germantown

6 Memphis University School

7 Dobyns Bennett

8 McCallie

9 Oak Ridge

10 Centennial

Feel free to pick mine apart...I'll probably rearrange it once I read Murphy Fair's magazine.

Edited by WesVols

1) Riverdale - Just too many weapons returning...

2) BA - These two are always near the top, every year

3) MBA - As above, but they did lose some key players...however, they'll likely reload and win 8 or 9 out of 10 on a pretty tough schedule

4) Kingsport - Ferguson keeps them in the top 10 in the state

5) Oak Ridge - Give Oak Ridge D-B's Duran Ferguson at QB and they'll be tough

6) Germantown - Up here for their weak region (this year)

7) McCallie - Will find comparable replacement for their QB, they'll be fine in DII

8) A-E - With at least some minimal direction, these guys could win it all every year in 3A, watch out for McAllister at LB

9) Maryville - Lost a lot, especially on the defensive side. Luckily for them, their region's a bit down this year. Their upset could come against Carter or Powell

10) Goodpasture - You should know why they're up here...he's the real deal, too

Outside looking in - Antioch, MUS, DL

Edited by Bandit27

Here's mine:

1. MBA

2. BA

3. Riverdale

4. Germantown

5. Dobyns-Bennett

6. Gallatin

7. Maryville

8. McCallie

9. Antioch

10. Centennial

On the verge...Oak Ridge, A-E, CBHS

I noticed alot of people are picking MUS to be up there, but they need to prove themselves a little more, in my opinion. Beating CBHS would be a good start.