Scrimmages illegal before August 5

charlie

Article III, Section 14, page 29:

"A school team cannot practice with or scrimmage another school team until both schools have practiced a minimum of three days from the beginning practice date in each sport."

"The first practice in pads is Monday of the week of August 1."

That means the first scrimmages cannot take place until Thursday, Aug. 5.

Ooops, oops, opps. The TSSAA number is (615) 889-6740.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what Charlie says is the written word, there will be an awful lot of teams with their hand caught in the perverbial "cookie jar" this week.

The only thing that bothers me is that the written word is not always applied the same in all situations in Tennessee. It is the "rules interpretations" that come out of 3333 Lebanon Rd. that worry me. Go home and get only one more scrimmage today, forfeit one game and set the coaches out tomorrow, 30 days in the electric chair by friday, etc. :blink::lol::blink:

Now if a team goes to camp by itself there is no breach of the rule as long as they had no contact in pads with another team. If you are asking yourself how teams @ the McCallie camp are getting by with this well the answer I got from TSSAA is that each individual player payed a fee and is there as an individual even though they are actually participating as a member of there respective team. Sounds like we got a big GRAY area that needs to be adressed in the defention of a team/individual camp.

Whoa! You said...

Article III, Section 14, page 29:

"A school team cannot practice with or scrimmage another school team until both schools have practiced a minimum of three days from the beginning practice date in each sport."

"The first practice in pads is Monday of the week of August 1."

That means the first scrimmages cannot take place until Thursday, Aug. 5.

Ooops, oops, opps. The TSSAA number is (615) 889-6740.

So they practice Monday (2nd), Tuesday (3rd), Wednesday (4th)....so why not Wednesday after practice????

Haha, ok so I'm stretching it....who cares, don't bring anything else to TSSAA's attention!

you have to have three (3) days of practice/conditioning before you can have a "contact scrimmage".....

scrimmage meaning with another team, other than your own... some coaches also further interpret the rule meaning 11 on 11, which does not preclude a school from working 7 on 7, 9 on 9, perimeter play, with contact, etc….

the intent of the rule is to acclimate your players to the heat....

you have to have three (3)  days of practice/conditioning before you can have a "contact scrimmage".....

scrimmage meaning with another team, other than your own... some coaches also further interpret the rule meaning 11 on 11, which does not preclude a school from working 7 on 7, 9 on 9, perimeter play, with contact, etc….

the intent of the rule is to acclimate your players to the heat....

825298134[/snapback]

Very good response. The school I was at last year went to camp in GA with another school from TN. We didn't scrimmage 11-on-11 until Thursday night. Both teams shared a common practice area but had no drills or contact with the other until Thursday night. I don't think anyone can complain about this but any school who had 11-on-11 contact with another school before Thursday was in direct violation of the TSSAA bylaws.

Another way to interpret this is(This will sound like Bill Clinton)

Once you begin practice on wednesday and work out some as a team you have technically practiced 3 days so after this work out as a team you have practiced 3 days.The rule say "have practiced 3 days" it does not say "completed" 3 days of practice.