14 high schools in violation of rules

ELA

JKar,

My tribe is McMinn County. And I respect and understand what your saying. My thing is just that ELA is making a big deal out of this and is encouraging people to contact the TSSAA to basically tell on those teams who violated(non sugar coated way of puttin it). So my question to those who are wanting to blow the whistle on those teams doin the rule breaking is..... How are you affiliated with TSSAA? And if your answer is "your not" then my next question is why are you trying to take matters that don't concern you into your own hands? Yes, punish the rule breakers. We just dont need unofficial people running and telling on their peers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If no one advised the TSSAA about violations, how many of these 14 coaches would likely self report? Isn't that the responsibility of a coach if they find out they are in violation?

I didn't get the idea that ELA is calling TSSAA to "tell" on other teams. He is merely talking about clear violations of the rule.

The transfer rule is bogus and now this mickey mouse rule is really bogus!!! What do these guys at TSSAA do, sit around and think of ways to make programs weaker. "Three volunteer coaches max" is another bogus rule. If ten retired Titans want to go over to BGA and help coach then by all means let them. It will be to the betterment of the kids in the program and thats what we all are suppose to be about. If a kid doesn't like his coach and wants to transfer from Centennial to Brentwood then let him. Who is the TSSAA to decide what's in the child's best interest. Isn't that what parents are for?

This three day rule is for conditioning puposes and acclimating kids to heat? What is TSSAA now weathermen.If that's the case than move the season to begin after labor day and play 10 games with NO PLAYOFFS ....NO PLAYOFFS how would we pay for TSSAA!!!!! Or make it a rule that you have to call the TSSAA Weather hotline to see if its OFFICIALLY below 90 degrees and you have PERMISSION to practice.

I went to Notre Dame High School in the early seventies and we lost a young man to a heat stroke during that time and I am as sensitive as the next person to the dangers of heat stroke.... but you have to quit making so many minor rules. There isn't a coach anywhere who in 90+ degree weather is going to scoff at another coach if he says sorry coach, I think its too much of a risk to practice full speed today! What about lightning? Do you turn in a coach for lightning....is it OK if the thunder comes 15 seconds later but not OK if it comes 5 seconds later. I entrust the lives of my three sons to a great group of men. I attend every practice and every game, and if I think the coaches are putting my son's life at risk, I don't need the TSSAA to help me put a stop to it!

They may be well meaning but if you ask me they are mettlesome

Del- I agree there needs to be rules, but IMO TSSAA is trying to micro manage a group of people and is becoming imperialistic (to be kind).

Edited by BigDogDaddy

I would say most of these are self reported and will lose a scrimmage as a result.

Everybody is making this out to be a lot bigger than what it is. None of these teams violated the rule on purpose ,just think about it everybody knows who scrimmages who and when its not like anybody was trying to hide or cover up anything.

Its not like scrimmaging wednesday vs thursday is exactly a huge advantage to cheat about.

If you are one of the 14 take your medicine and move on who knows that scrimmage you missed might have been the one your best player got hurt in.

Ok boys, I know I'm setting myself up to get blasted but what the hay! If you are walking down the street and you see someone commit a crime (purse snatching) wouldn't you notify the authorities or try to capture the perp? Isn't this the same thing??? Some teams BROKE this rule.

To make it more realistic, what about teams that continue to have workouts during the dead period, wouldn't you report that?

I think the classy thing is the teams/coaches in violation, self-reported their mistakes. Now whether they claim ignorance or not, at least they took the stand of saying, "hey, Mr. Carter, I messed up and my team broke a rule".

If the violators are told they have to eliminate a subsequent scrimmage, think of this - now you're punishing teams that have a scrimmage set up with one of the violators and that team is punished by not having a scrimmage!

Go ahead and blast me, I'm ready.

:o:lol:;)

Edited by msgov

I have listened to all this moaning and argueing that for one coach is enough!!!

There are RULES!! We follow them !!!! We teach our kids to follow them !!!! We teach them that if they dont follow the rule( Even if it is a rule we dont agree with) that we recieve and ACCEPT our punishment!!

If you are NOT willing to go along with this premise, then you dont need to be in this profession.

This is HOW it is suppose to work!!!!

I am NOT a friend of TSSAA, or Ronnie Carter, but until we wise up and start a new association that is fair and right we ALL must follow our guidelines.

NEWSFLASH...

there will not be a new association.....

the tssaa is not ronnie carter... he simply is just the man who runs the day to day operations and has certain administrative authority.....the board of control runs the show...

the tssaa is your member schools...the rules are established by the board of control.....your principles and coaches make these rules that you gripe about....only problem is that the majority vote rules in most situations....

maybe that is the problem.....the "majority" vote decides......in some rare situations, the board of control makes executive decisions without member school voting, but lets remember who the board of control is....they are representatives from the member schools....

so when your school is found in violation of a rule, it is not by the tssaa....it is found in violation by your schools peers...and when you don't like something the tssaa does with a rule, then blame the majority of the coaches and administrators and athletic directors.....start with your own school!

Edited by mg

How are you affiliated with TSSAA? And if your answer is "your not" then my next question is why are you trying to take matters that don't concern you into your own hands? Yes, punish the rule breakers. We just dont need unofficial people running and telling on their peers.

825298918[/snapback]

Here is the cruxt of the problem. This belief is pervasive throughout our society today. "Mind your own business." Well, I'm sorry. The TSSAA does not have the manpower nor the resources to monitor the 300+ high schools in the state. If "peers" don't report each other, there is unlikely any chance the rules could be properly enforced. So, TribeGuy22, I would classify you as having serious moral and ethical flaws.

What do you think a neighborhood watch is all about. The police don't have the resources to catch all criminals. So, if you know about some teenager in your neighborhood who is vandalizing certain homes......do you just "mind your own business" and let him keep it up.....or do you report him to the police? But, based on your philosophy, we should just let this kid keep on going vandalizing the neighborhood until "THE POLICE" themselves catch him. THAT IS JUST PLAIN IGNORANT.

Now, personally, I think this is a "ticky-tack" rule. However, as many others have posted, I believe a rule is a rule. There are different levels of punishment for different levels of rules violations. And, I am sure the penalty for this offense will not be that severe given the level of severity of this violation.

And, because I think it is such a minor violation that will result in minor penalties, I did wonder why ELA came on here SCREAMING about what a shame it is that these folks did this. It is not like they have ruined their upcoming season. I think if ELA found out another school was committing these violations he should report them, but to get on here writing about it in the manner he did made it sound like it was such a BIG DEAL when in all reality it won't be.

As for the question above about which school ELA coaches at, he coaches at Stewart County. He just left East Ridge High School and is the Offensive Coordinator at Stewart County High.

And, TribeGuy22, him being a coach makes him a part of TSSAA!!!