Coaching Ethics?

TribeFan

In the coaching book of ethics should a head coach attend or should he send an assistant to a pre-season scrimmage of an opponent that they will be playing in the immediate future? At the scrimmage that was to take place yesterday in Athens againist McMinn and East Ridge there was a Cleveland assistant coach there, I suppose scouting each team since they play McMinn on Sept.10th and East Ridge is in there Region. But since East Ridge did not show up he only got to see McMinn play against each other. You ask how do I know he was a Cleveland coach, well he had a shirt on that is the very same shirt the coaching staff @ Cleveland wears during there games, and he was asked if he coached @ Cleveland and his reply was YES. My question: Is this within the code of ethics to scout a team in a pre-season scrimmage? Not a TSSAA violation but a ethics violation?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one believe that we as coaches too often take ourselves and what we get to do everyday way too seriously. I love this game and want to win every bit as bad as the next guy, butI refuse to get bent out of shape by some coach who wants to come watch my team scrimmage. If they want to take time out of their own preparation to do that, then more power to them. I've got my own things to worry about.

In the coaching book of ethics should a head coach attend or should he send an assistant to a pre-season scrimmage of an opponent that they will be playing in the immediate future? At the scrimmage that was to take place yesterday in Athens againist McMinn and East Ridge there was a Cleveland assistant coach there, I suppose scouting each team since they play McMinn on Sept.10th and East Ridge is in there Region. But since East Ridge did not show up he only got to see McMinn play against each other. You ask how do I know he was a Cleveland coach, well he had a shirt on that is the very same shirt the coaching staff @ Cleveland wears during there games, and he was asked if he coached @ Cleveland and his reply was YES. My question: Is this within the code of ethics to scout a team in a pre-season scrimmage? Not a TSSAA violation but a ethics violation?

825301248[/snapback]

You're kidding, right?

Yes I agree scouting is part of football, but my question is it okay to scout a team while they are in a scrimmage with another team. Especially bringing a video camera to the scrimmage? Every coach I have talked with in this area is againist another team sending a representitive to a scrimmage, now a game is a different story. 02Wildcat obviously go crawl back under your rock! It is a simple question that I was trying to get clarified because if it is okay then let's fire up the video camera and go see all the teams we play early in the year.

When film-swapping is a common practice, why is it necessary to bring a videocamera to a scrimmage? To tape with a view for the purpose of scouting, you would need to be in a box or on a lift, and no team is going to allow an opposing coach access to that during a scrimmage to tape a game.

Ground-view tape will not provide much for the coach. Every coach would rather scout from an overhead camera.

That being said, the practice of attending other games or scrimmages could in no way be unethical, when a team often has access to three or four game films on opponents prior to each week's contest.

Coaches know this takes place, so it's easy to see why some do not show all they have during practices and jamborees. And during the jamboree, many teams are watching a pair of teams play that they will see each during the season, and standing in the endzones with a front row seat after their contest is completed.

Add to that, Thursday games. When a team plays on Thursday, it's very common for its opponents who play the following Friday to attend the game and get a first-hand scouting report.

The days of complete secrecy are gone. It's not unethical, it's technology. Coaches who know how to prepare for an opponent and make adjustments to what they have not seen and have not shown, those will be successful.