Hazing

FBEmeritus

One said, "Parents need to let coaches coach. Parents also need to know and trust that their Coaches". Read the stories at http://www.wbir.com/news

Then tell me how could a parent who cares about their kid, can stand by and let Clowns like this Roane County Principal McCloud figure out if 10 days is enough punishment and the football coach deals out a big punishment like a half game on the sidelines! What a joke.

Does the No Tolarance rules and the TSSAA allow criminals to play high school football while on bail?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be the one getting hazed?? Are you blaming the freshmen for growing up or what? I agree with Waggle, its a brotherhood where to be successful you have to be able to trust the guy beside you. Maybe its just me, but I'm not going to have to much confidence in a guy who thinks its funny to watch his teammates and "brothers" in pain. I kindof see it as hard for a new and inexperienced freshman to stick up for himself against a group of seniors who are suppossed to be "leaders." To me, if he sticks up for himself, the seniors will feel threatened and that will cause even more chaos/hazing. I truly believe that if physical harm was done, there should be charges. If you look in the roanecounty news or www.roanecounty.com one kid had to go to the hospital. Initiation is fine with me: carry pads, shower last, ect. However, hazing or physical abuse to be a part or to be accepted in a football program is wrong and needs to stop.

ACCARP

ACCARP, if you went to Kingston and you didn't get "hazed" in some sort or fashion when you were a freshman, I am surprised. I would imagine that a policy is forthcoming from TSSAA and all school administrators that any form of hazing will not be tolerated, and will fall under the zero tolerance rule. Why? because there will be some parent out their that will complain "that freshman johnny shouldn't have to carry senior johnny's shoulder pads" just because he is a freshman and that's a form of initiation. What about college baseball teams that make the underclassman rake and line the field after every practice? Are we getting to a point as parents that we can't let freshman johnny make a decision on whether he is being treated fairly and to make his own decision on whether or not he involves himself?

Right or wrong, these freshman made a choice to involve themselves in this "hazing". They were not forced to "take" the licks. They made that choice. No one held them down. No one told them they HAD to take one lick or 3. If your child was against this happening, why would he make that choice of standing in line to be the next "victim"? I question the decisions that these freshman made, just as much as I question those that delivered the licks.

If you don't want to be hazed, don't. If you don't want to drink alcohol or take drugs, don't. But don't sit here and blame these other kids for doing something that has been a long standing tradition at Kingston High, as well as many other schools. These kids made a bad decision. So did the kids that willingly took the licks. Now they are wanting retrobution for something they agreed to do and didn't try to walk away from.

Think about it!

Edited by bleachercoach

What Choice? That is a farce and you know it, I really wish people would quit trying to throw the blame off on someone else. These young people committed an act that is against the law!

I guess you don't relly care if someone is hurt thru an act of assualt!

Initation doesn't include assualt, maybe minor pranks or drudge work like carrying pads or cleaning up the fieldhouse or carrying water not getting hit with sand filled bats, learn the difference and I hope your child never goes thru it especially because of your attitude!

Edited by BigCat1

Freshman’s fault, do you work for Kingston High School? You can bet that kid planed on going to the hospital before football practice!

You "Think about it". Key to this type of thing is a simple test of "Common man" reasoning. Did someone get hurt or assaulted? I guess, you think seniors have no influence on underclassman? True, kids do make bad decisions, it is worse when coaches and superintendents make worse decisions concerning tolerance and have a limited view of a bigger picture.

Just watch I think a few lawyers and judges will agree, this Kingston school district is broken and us tax payers will pay the toll because of allowing people in authority over the public school systems without common sense and wisdom to be there.

Again do the No Tolerance rules and the TSSAA allow criminals to play high school football while on bail?

Yes Meritus, someone guilty of a crime CAN still play on a highschool team if the coach allows it. I've played on teams where athletes were guilty of a broad range of things (i.e. DUI, Assault, etc.) and for whatever reason were or were not allowed to play only because of what the coach said. As far as I know, the TSSAA has no say-so in that.

Hazing is accepted...Kind of like grade hierarchy... People know what's goin to happen to them, and they let it happen anyway. It will be their turn soon enough, just like it will be their turn to be the seniors. Sorry to disappoint you, but I just thought you should know from a student and athletes perspective..

Hazing is accepted...Kind of like grade hierarchy... People know what's goin to happen to them, and they let it happen anyway. It will be their turn soon enough, just like it will be their turn to be the seniors. Sorry to disappoint you, but I just thought you should know from a student and athletes perspective..

825307673[/snapback]

So from a student and athletes perspective, its Ok to send a freshman to the hospital for the right to be on your team? The cost to play is to high in my view and assult is against the law of the land.

Unbelieveable! Hazing victims do not choose to be hazed any more than rape victims choose to be raped. It's about power. It is not an initiation into any type of 'brotherhood'. It's criminal behavior, plain and simple, not any sick rite of passage. Perpetuating a wrongful act because it happened to you has no logic.

FBEmeritus is on the right track. Contact a legislator, a school board member or the police department. Neanderthals that get their jollies physically abusing helpless kids or condoning the abuse have no place on a football field or in a position of authority.

Sending someone to the hospital is more serious than what isnormally considered as hazing. As for everything else, it is accepted. Heck, at Alcoa, there is a different ritual for every group. Kickers have to sit butt naked at the top of the goalposts all night. Of course coachers don't know about this.

825307706[/snapback]

Get off the schools computer and go read a book.

Coach Reid has too much class and respect for his players to allow his PAT guys sit on goal posts.

Don't lower your fine schools reputation by being stupid.

Many of us in the over 40 crowd went through this right

of passage in "our day". Sometimes hazing can

take the form of good natured fun. However, we live in

an increasingly violent society where the line between

fantasy and reality becomes blurred. For that reason,

I don't think that todays student/athlete can be trusted

to know where to draw the line. It is a question of maturity.

For that reason; schools, coaches and PARENTS need

to put a stop to hazing in all forms.

Edited by jek