Greenbrier vs. Portland

Bigwheel11

For one, I think it is ridiculous that these two aren't in the same division, given their proximity to each other. They are in the same classification (3A), are both smashmouth football teams, and above all, are neighbors! This game, especially with Greenbrier continually getting better, would be a blockbuster! Could you imagine the gate? Both schools would benefit..... Just like the White House/ Portland rivalry was maintained when WH moved up, this one should have been as well. I'd like to hear from everyone one both sides.....

For one, I think it is ridiculous that these two aren't in the same division, given their proximity to each other. They are in the same classification (3A), are both smashmouth football teams, and above all, are neighbors! This game, especially with Greenbrier continually getting better, would be a blockbuster! Could you imagine the gate? Both schools would benefit..... Just like the White House/ Portland rivalry was maintained when WH moved up, this one should have been as well. I'd like to hear from everyone one both sides.....

825309399[/snapback]

Maybe next year...but at the present Portland has 9 region games. They only have one non-region game and they choose to play White House.

I think White House was a much more natural rival for Greenbrier than Portland. Although they had some good region contests, the dividing line in regions always seems to land between Sumner, Robertson, Montgomery and Macon Counties. There are a lot of teams in those counties who at one time were very close in classification and enrollment.

When White House moved up, the rivalry with Greenbrier was the oldest consecutive in Middle Tennessee and it was kept. White House lost good rivalries with Lipscomb and Marshall County in all the shifts.

I don't know the history, but I'm not so sure Portland has had the rivalry with Greenbrier outside of the region.

I for one loved the old District 10-AA -- Springfield, Portland, White House, Greenbrier, Macon County and there was always a sixth that rotated like DeKalb, Westmoreland, Goodpasture, Livingston Academy or Montgomery Central. Unfortunately, there are too many new teams in those counties, or schools with higher enrollments than before, to make that happen again.

The east/west dividing line makes it tough for all those to compete together again, now throwing in the likes of Station Camp, Cheatham County, more Clarksville schools, Heritage taking White House enrollment, Portland growing, Macon County and all of the teams which jumped classifications in Trousdale, Smith, Upperman, etc.

As for the Portland/Greenbrier rivalry, you have to consider one thing...Portland has one game to play with and White House three. If you're going to play one game outside of the region, it's going to be against White House, that is a no brainer.

The old District 10-AA was the greatest! Man those were the times.

The TSSAA should never have went to the four year intervals for classification. They should have stuck with the two-year thing. Especially because, with the ever changing populations of certain cities and the construction of new schools, four years is way too long. So much happens. Look at WH. The split happened the first year of their 4A sentence.

You ask why?

T.hose

S.tupid

S.uckers

A.re

A.rrogant idiots

When you have an over-welming vote to split public and private and you ignore the majority because of some unknown reason to many or maybe your kids go to those private schools, you no longer have the respect of anyone. The public schools hate you and the private schools use you. You are now an overpaid politican.

The last go around alot of 2a schools Trousdale Co and others left 2a to get away from private schools. tssaa put them up with Portlands District and booted Greenbrier out dispite the long rivalries with Portland and Macon.

Greenbrier and Portland do enjoy a spring scrimage each year.

Greenbrier and Macon scrimage before the season.

Edited by painter

"Ain't" this the truth! Greenbrier travels almost to the state of Alabama to play Giles Cty and Marshall Cty and you could have one of the better games in the state with in a 25 minute drive. Back in the day.... this game always seemed to be a late year, cold, and wet classic.

With that, the last two Spring scrimmages have been some really entertaining games too.

You ask why?

T.hose

S.tupid

S.uckers

A.re

A.rrogant idiots

When you have an over-welming vote to split public and private and you ignore the majority because of some unknown reason to many or maybe your kids go to those private schools, you no longer have the respect of anyone. The public schools hate you and the private schools use you. You are now an overpaid politican.

The last go around alot of 2a schools Trousdale Co and others left 2a to get away from private schools. tssaa put them up with Portlands District and booted Greenbrier out dispite the long rivalries with Portland and Macon.

Greenbrier and Portland do enjoy a spring scrimage each year.

Greenbrier and Macon scrimage before the season.

825310493[/snapback]

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT post! And I absolutely LOVE the acronym! thumb

Ah yes!!!! Portland-Greenbrier classics were always just that, classics. We never knew what to expect from those Bobcats. They scored more points on us than any other team we played during our state championship year, 14! I can also remember a game that was won by a last second field goal! There was also one that went into several overtimes! I can't remember all of them, but Greenbrier-Portland match ups were always good. I'd like to see them start back up again myself. thumb

:D

Edited by PPride