Tennesse Great Players?

BigOrangeCountry24

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Through the years there has been alot of tallent come out of Tennessee not just in football but in many sports.  Why does UT not look more into recruiting them?

825343248[/snapback]

I think with in state prospects UT looks at little tiny things, not that they dont with out of state athletes.. but for instance Carl Stewarts supposedly his hips were to wide... doesnt make sense to me but there have been some good ones go through the years. Chad Pennington, Carl Stewart, Iian OcConor, this year with Cade Thompson also!

Because the big pumpkin and his entire staff are arrogant and would rather recruit the likes of the most recent quarterback and his brother rather the likes of a Pennington. They are interested in how their recruiting class rank is rather than how good a football player they are recruiting. They really didnt even want Westmoreland and were in late on Eddie Moore.

Because the big pumpkin and his entire staff are arrogant and would rather recruit the likes of the most recent quarterback and his brother rather the likes of a Pennington.  They are interested in how their recruiting class rank is rather than how good a football player they are recruiting.  They really didnt even want Westmoreland and were in late on Eddie Moore.

825343749[/snapback]

You said it right. They worry about who's trendy or who is ranked high. When a kid is from Tenn. he will play harder for UT. Most kids grow up dreaming about running thru the "T" before a game. Ain't no kid from New York or Cali did that. That's why those kids will quit in some games. When you're from here it means more to you. I love the Vols as much as anyone but Fulmer is to busy chasing girl trainers to see that some of these kids right under his nose could help his team! :);):D

Through the years there has been alot of tallent come out of Tennessee not just in football but in many sports.  Why does UT not look more into recruiting them?

825343248[/snapback]

Tennessee does recruit the the top talent in Tennessee. There just aren't that many top level players in state. Tennessee did recruit Carl Stewart. They wanted him to play LB like Westmoreland, Moore and Al Wilson so he chose to go to Auburn where he is buried on the depth chart at RB. They were late on Moore because of his off field trouble.They are not interested in Thompson because of the two freshman they have plus the commitment from Crompton. They did not recruit Pennington for the same reason no big school did. He was a 175 lb wing-T QB in high school. He was a late bloomer. Besides Tennessee did pretty well with Manning and Martin during that time period. Sometimes the in state players UT does recruit choose to go elsewhere. Although, there are not too many examples of in state kids that go on to great success at other schools. Most of the guys in the NFL from Tennessee high schools played at UT. Take a look at all 12 SEC rosters. There will be fewer kids from Tennessee than any other southeastern state. UT has to recruit nationally to have a chance to compete in the SEC. It's ridiculus to say Fulmer doesn't know what he is doing. He's won 80% of his games. UT does have high ranked recruiting classes. They also put more guys in the NFL than most programs.

. I love the Vols as much as anyone but Fulmer is to busy chasing girl trainers to see that some of these kids right under his nose could help his team!   

Is there something here we need to know about> ;)

825343886[/snapback]

This is one reason why I don't cheer for the Vols. Take a look at other SEC rosters and see where most of their players are from. UT might have 5 players from the state. I was born and raised in Knox, but I will be sitting in the Gator section on Saturday night!! thumb

Tennessee does recruit the the top talent in Tennessee. There just aren't that many top level players in state. Tennessee did recruit Carl Stewart. They wanted him to play LB like Westmoreland, Moore and Al Wilson so he chose to go to Auburn where he is buried on the depth chart at RB. They were late on Moore because of his off field trouble.They are not interested in Thompson because of the two freshman they have plus the commitment from Crompton. They did not recruit Pennington for the same reason no big school did. He was a 175 lb wing-T QB in high school. He was a late bloomer. Besides Tennessee did pretty well with Manning and Martin during that time period. Sometimes the in state players UT does recruit choose to go elsewhere. Although, there are not too many examples of in state kids that go on to great success at other schools. Most of the guys in the NFL from Tennessee high schools played at UT. Take a look at all 12 SEC rosters. There will be fewer kids from Tennessee than any other southeastern state. UT has to recruit nationally to have a chance to compete in the SEC. It's ridiculus to say Fulmer doesn't know what he is doing. He's won 80% of his games. UT does have high ranked recruiting classes. They also put more guys in the NFL than most programs.

825343873[/snapback]

Great post!

This season Tennessee has commitments already from (6) players (3) from the state of Tennessee, (1) each from Arkansas, Alabam & North Carolina.

They have offered scholorships to 7 others but would probably only accept 4 of those and one might not make on campus because of grades.

On this seasons roster I have the media guide here in front of me. It has the roster broken down by state! Tennessee has (45) players from the state of Tennessee on roster the next highest is Georgia with (10) followed by Florida & Virginia with (7)!

Great post! 

This season Tennessee has commitments already from (6) players (3) from the state of Tennessee, (1) each from Arkansas, Alabam & North Carolina.

They have offered scholorships to 7 others but would probably only accept 4 of those and one might not make on campus because of grades. 

On this seasons roster I have the media guide here in front of me.  It has the roster broken down by state!  Tennessee has (45) players from the state of Tennessee on roster the next highest is Georgia with (10) followed by Florida & Virginia with (7)!

825343899[/snapback]

And a "great post" to you, too! I love it when emotional comments are confronted with facts. Sort of takes the wind (hot air) out of those sails! Good job Sequatchie! Go Vols!

It seems their thinking may have changes this year. I know they've already got LaMarcus Coker, Marsellous Johnson, and Austin Rogers.

They are also in hot pursuit of Patrick Turner, Todd Cox, Michael Oher, Albert Harris,Jeff Cottam, and Anthony McAlister. So I would say they're doing better this year.

is every body on here stupid or something (except the guys who back UT). Yall are complaining that Fulmer only wants to have a highly ranked recruiting class and doesn't get people from Tennessee. The whole point of going out of state is that there is more talent in 49 other states than in just Tennessee alone. And of course you want a highly ranked recruiting class, because that means you'll have more talent, duuuh.

By the way, I've met Fulmer and he's a really good guy. I seriously doubt that he chases around the female trainers, especially with his daughters on the sidelines.

UT recruits who they think are the best players. It doesn't matter where they are from and you would have to be stupid to believe any program recruits kids from its home state for any reason other than those were the best players that school could get. The Florida schools get Florida kids because the state puts out enough major D-I players to support those schools. In a given year (this year likely being an exception) how many kids from TN go to major D-I school and make any contribution. This isn't charity. Tennessee kids may play harder for the homestate university (although I think that is a weak argument), but if they are less talented then it doesn't really matter. This whole thread is stupid.