Tennesse Great Players?

BigOrangeCountry24

Facts are facts, UT has let some of the most talented kids in the state slip though their fingers. The Brackins brothers, Rickey Upton, and Pennington are the first to pop up in my head (there are many more) All those players started for a D1 school other than UT. If UT doesn`t get its act together it will miss out on the strong class this year, Lamon Williams, Coker, Turner, Michael Oher, Todd Cox, and T. Scott. They already missed out on Carlos Armour, Jeff Jennings, and Brandon Fanney last year.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UT can't recruit or maybe better said, can't sign every one of the limited number of Tennessee's in-state D-1 prospects...and yes over the years a few have left the state to play - Leroy Thompson comes to mind (and hadn't been mentioned) a fine RB who played @ Penn St. and I always heard he was offered by UT but chose to go north; how about Shawn Witten (Jason's older brother) a three year starter @ Va Tech @ WR, should he have been at UT? He was a very good high school QB @ Elizabethton; Gerald Sensabaugh - heard of him? He is the starting SS @ UNC, wasn't recruited by UT (until ETSU did away with football) and he is Teddy Gaines' cousin. We all know or have seen or have heard about an outstanding high school player, and being an outstanding high school player is a tremendous achievement, but it doesn't necessarily make that player an obvious D-1 prospect, nor does it make that player a prospect that fills a need for UT...remember James Banks was 1st all-state safety in high school, an outstanding and well decorated QB in high school, but 1st team honors were achieved for his work @ free safety - he filled a need, that of athlete. Jeff Jennings Jr. was an outstanding high school RB/LB who also happened to be an outstanding high school student, so he is now a student athlete @ Vanderbilt and I am extremely proud of him for that...I hope he gets to contribute on the field and in the classroom in a way that makes his college experience a good one for him....does his signing with Vandy mean UT didn't do a good job trying to sign him? Or did Vandy have something to offer UT didn't? I don't know.

I am a UT grad and proud to be...I am proud of Coach Fulmer and what he has done for my alma mater...he hasn't yet called and asked my opinion about any of his potential recruits nor about his play calling, yet I have voiced my thoughts anyway...he is doing a pretty good job I'd have to say, even without hearing my point of view.

I truly hope all the players who qualify and want to play college ball get the chance at whatever level and then take advantage of the opportunity and if it is not at the college of their choice, at least at a college where they will get a chance to learn - on the field and in the classroom.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

Tennessee did recruit them, they did not want to come to Tennessee.

The talent in Tennessee the last couple years has been bad. The good players, with the exception of the Bullocks, are playing for UT.

825344266[/snapback]

I know the Bullock twins mother and both of them wanted to go to UT but Tennessee thought their grades were not up to snuff and believed that they could not pass the test and gave out all their scholarships elsewhere. I love the Vols but I agree they need to start recruiting more players from Tennessee because they will take more pride by wearing the big orange. UTC needs to start taking notes on MTSU and Memphis and become Div I someday. UTC can pull some great athletes from NW Georgia and North Alabama as well as Tennessee. Tennessee DB’s are great athletes but I believe if we go after great athletic DB’s from Tennessee the will be more physical type players that we have been missing for so many years. I think Tennessee weakest point on the team and teams from the past would be the defensive Backfield. Run Defense is great and always is. Offense is great at times with exception of playing a quarterback that I believe there where better QB’s on the sidelines.

Yea, he's won 80% of his games but look at who it's been against. Memphis, wyoming, vandy, kentucky, unlv, la tech, fresno st., duke, mtsu, rutgers, and syracuse? i mean come on. your right, he knows what he's doin, pullin the wool of ya'lls eyes.

825344240[/snapback]

Yeah, but look at who he's also beaten: Miami, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, etc... Fulmer has won 2 SEC titles, they've played in 3, and he has 1 National Title, but you still don't think he's a good coach. Your Retarted.

Who cares if they recruit in state or out of state. They pick the most talented players no matter where they're from. If UT picked all in state players, they might as well paint their helmets gold and put a big black V on them because they'd stink.

This is one reason why I don't cheer for the Vols. Take a look at other SEC rosters and see where most of their players are from. UT might have 5 players from the state. I was born and raised in Knox, but I will be sitting in the Gator section on Saturday night!! thumb

825343898[/snapback]

thumb COOL! See you there!

Facts are facts, UT has let some of the most talented kids in the state slip though their fingers. The Brackins brothers, Rickey Upton, and Pennington are the first to pop up in my head (there are many more) All those players started for a D1 school other than UT. If UT doesn`t get its act together it will miss out on the strong class this year, Lamon Williams, Coker, Turner, Michael Oher, Todd Cox, and T. Scott. They already missed out on Carlos Armour, Jeff Jennings, and Brandon Fanney last year.

825345596[/snapback]

Brackins Brothers weren't that good and UT was pretty much filled at LB at the time.

Pennington: no one knew he would bloom the way he did; he was a longshot coming out of high school.

Rickey Upton: whatever happened to him?

Just like currently, the Huber kid from Powell, he is a good player, but Bama went after him to try and get to the Bruhin brothers IMHO.