Tennesse Great Players?

BigOrangeCountry24

Nobody is saying Tennessee should recruit ONLY in-state players, the point is they don't recruit enough of them and often end up with a lot of players who could care less about the state they represent. If the choice is between one of the top high school quarterbacks in the country and Maryville's quarterback, very good but not at the top of national lists, I agree take the out of state player. But when things are virtually equal offer the state player first. I don't see enough of that, or when they do it's after other teams have offered and the player has lost interest and/or is offended. North Carolina is 2-1 and getting better, they got beat bad by Virginia but lots of teams will get beat bad by Virgina this year. They beat Ga Tech by 3 touchdowns. Here are Adarious Bowman's stats for the year: 11 catches 187 yards 62.3 yards per game, 17.0 average per catch, 52 yard long and 2 touchdowns. Not bad after 3 games for a true sophomore who I am sure is getting plenty of attention from the defense, that opens up everybody else. He had something like 300 yards receiving and 4 or 5 touchdowns against McCallie a couple of years ago, he can play.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why let those schools get those players? And it's not just them, throw in Virginia, North Carolina, Marshall, Miami and Auburn. Can anyone tell me if Tennessee offered Cooper Wallace?

825348554[/snapback]

It's not a really a question of "let". Some kids hate UT from birth, some like the "ride" at another school better (Albert Means), some wanna get away from mama's apron strings.

Yes, absolutley, we should persue everyone of them and yes, there should be one guy on UT's staff devoted to that endeavor. Unfotrunatley we don't and there's not. That is definitely UT's downfall and their only fault in this matter.

The rest is natural selection....

people make mistakes... its also the same guy that kicked every kickoff outa the end zone against UT

825346111[/snapback]

who cares you still lost that game. I'm all for UT grabbing the best in state talent, but if you have the chance to get the best talent in the nation and you go for someone else because they are from Tennessee then your letting that great talent go to teams that you will possibly play later. Who wants to say that, I just got beat by some kids that I could have gotten if I had not pick this in state talent that cannot break into the starting lineup. As a coach, I could not forgive myself for letting my team, coaches, and state down because I was sentimental to a Tn high school player. Do you think Oklahoma is going to take a player from their state over a player from Fla that is a better player just because he is from Oklahoma. I don't think so. To you who agree with the original posting, you are morons. :blink:

who cares you still lost that game.  I'm all for UT grabbing the best in state talent, but if you have the chance to get the best talent in the nation and you go for someone else because they are from Tennessee then your letting that great talent go to teams that you will possibly play later.  Who wants to say that, I just got beat by some kids that I could have gotten if I had not pick this in state talent that cannot break into the starting lineup.  As a coach, I could not forgive myself for letting my team, coaches, and state down because I was sentimental to a Tn high school player.  Do you think Oklahoma is going to take a player from their state over a player from Fla that is a better player just because he is from Oklahoma.  I don't think so.  To you who agree with the original posting, you are morons. :blink:

825348567[/snapback]

Amen!! :lol:

what's the big argument about Pennington? Is someone saying he was better than Peyton Manning? We didn't want Pennington because he was not very good in high school and we already had like 5 QBs his senior year anyways.

UT does an excellent job of recruiting, we always have one of the top recruiting classes in the nation. So based on those results you're saying that UT his HORRIBLE at recruiting or they should recruit more in-state players and lose bigger national recruits?

Tennessee has a really powerful athletic department, just take a step back for a minute and realize they're doing their job better than any of us could do it.

what's the big argument about Pennington?  Is someone saying he was better than Peyton Manning?  We didn't want Pennington because he was not very good in high school and we already had like 5 QBs his senior year anyways.

UT does an excellent job of recruiting, we always have one of the top recruiting classes in the nation.  So based on those results you're saying that UT his HORRIBLE at recruiting or they should recruit more in-state players and lose bigger national recruits?

Tennessee has a really powerful athletic department, just take a step back for a minute and realize they're doing their job better than any of us could do it.

825348600[/snapback]

Again....AMEN!

What do you mean he was the best they could get?

He was a Parade All-American, was rated the 3rd best QB prospect & 15th prosepct overall by ESPN"s Top 100..  Was named to the Prepstar All-America.  He also took part in the Elite 11 camp in San Diego.

825348129[/snapback]

Casey Clausen was the worst and best quarterback that we could had at the time. By that, I mean that he could throw the ball and come up with big plays, but at the same time, he couldn't run or take a hit to save his life...and he couldn't hold on to the ball very well either. I'm saying this from a UT student's point of view. No one UT football player was more hated on campus (by his peers) than Casey Clausen...............well, Kelly Washington comes in for a tie on that.

Casey Clausen was the worst and best quarterback that we could had at the time. By that, I mean that he could throw the ball and come up with big plays, but at the same time, he couldn't run or take a hit to save his life...and he couldn't hold on to the ball very well either.  I'm saying this from a UT student's point of view.  No one UT football player was more hated on campus (by his peers) than Casey Clausen...............well, Kelly Washington comes in for a tie on that.

825348681[/snapback]

Fair weathered student section aside, Clausen was a warrior. I'm not sure who you were watching. That comes from a students point as well.

Yep, he could stink at times too, but he was a warrior that played thru pain. He engineered drives as well as anyone we've had. He just didn't have the God given gifts Payton, Andy or Heath had.

He also didn't have Pickens, Nash, Kent, Harper or Clinkscales.

yeah I think Clausen only lost two road games his entire career at UT -- it's hard to beat that, no matter what you think of him. People forget sometimes that Chris Simms was supposed to be our big recruit that year but at the last second he backed out and went to Texas. Clausen was essentially the back up plan at that point, and it ended up working out (he was a better college QB than Simms).

Facts are facts, UT has let some of the most talented kids in the state slip though their fingers. The Brackins brothers, Rickey Upton, and Pennington are the first to pop up in my head (there are many more) All those players started for a D1 school other than UT. If UT doesn`t get its act together it will miss out on the strong class this year, Lamon Williams, Coker, Turner, Michael Oher, Todd Cox, and T. Scott. They already missed out on Carlos Armour, Jeff Jennings, and Brandon Fanney last year.

825345596[/snapback]

THE BRACKENS BROTHERS WERE NOT THAT GOOD, WASN'T ONE THEM FULLBACK AND MIDDLE LINEBACKER, THE OTHER QUARTERBACK, WHICH ALSO LOST TO LIVINGSTON ACADEMY IN THE SECOND ROUND OF THE STATE PLAYOFFS IN 96'