Tennesse Great Players?

BigOrangeCountry24

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of those 45 players count the scholarship players. Sorry but walk-ons don't count in my book. They hang on to alot of dead weight from Tennessee to let the typical UT fan believe they recruit the state. Like Jim Bob Cooter from Lincoln County will never play a meaningful snap in his career. UT does do a horrible job of recruiting the state. But doesn't all fall unto their shoulders. Vandy and Memphis and especially MTSU have all done a terrible job as well. But a whole lot of that Tennessee doesn't produce enough talent crap comes from the Evil Eastern Empire called UT which trickles down to those schools. They claim the State but don't want to represent the state. Vandy and Memphis did improve their In-State recruiting last year which is a huge plus for the state. UT has missed many good football players. Auburn has many players from Tennessee contributing. But UT looks over that and the fact Auburn whipped the Butt last year. And Maryland taking a bunch of boys from the Talent pool state of Maryland embaressing the "NATIONAL POWERHOUSE we have to recruit the nation" Vols. But they want you to wear the orange tinted glasses and not see that. We see it. Tenneessee High School fans across the state see messes that UT makes. I will also be cheering for the Gators on Saturday Night.

Tennessee does recruit the the top talent in Tennessee. There just aren't that many top level players in state. Tennessee did recruit Carl Stewart. They wanted him to play LB like Westmoreland, Moore and Al Wilson so he chose to go to Auburn where he is buried on the depth chart at RB. They were late on Moore because of his off field trouble.They are not interested in Thompson because of the two freshman they have plus the commitment from Crompton. They did not recruit Pennington for the same reason no big school did. He was a 175 lb wing-T QB in high school. He was a late bloomer. Besides Tennessee did pretty well with Manning and Martin during that time period. Sometimes the in state players UT does recruit choose to go elsewhere. Although, there are not too many examples of in state kids that go on to great success at other schools. Most of the guys in the NFL from Tennessee high schools played at UT. Take a look at all 12 SEC rosters. There will be fewer kids from Tennessee than any other southeastern state. UT has to recruit nationally to have a chance to compete in the SEC. It's ridiculus to say Fulmer doesn't know what he is doing. He's won 80% of his games. UT does have high ranked recruiting classes. They also put more guys in the NFL than most programs.

825343873[/snapback]

Yea, he's won 80% of his games but look at who it's been against. Memphis, wyoming, vandy, kentucky, unlv, la tech, fresno st., duke, mtsu, rutgers, and syracuse? i mean come on. your right, he knows what he's doin, pullin the wool of ya'lls eyes.

Saying Tennessee has missed on some in-state kids is one thing, but saying UT a) does not recruit the state of TN or ;) should focus on in-state kids is ridiculous. Also, you cannot compare the quality of player UT recruits to MTSU or Memphis. Those schools recruit the state hard because they cannot go to the places UT goes and on the whole cannot get the players UT gets. Also, instad of making generalizations, tell me players in the state of TN who UT did not offer. Most of the guys at Auburn were offered schollies by UT but went elsewhere. Stewart from Maryville was offered.

Root for Florida all you want. You will be outnumbered. But, I cannot fathom how people can make this out to be some sort of Big orange conspiracy. When the talent is here (like this year) the Vols are all over the players. When it has been here in the past (Al Wilson, Holbert, Cottam, John Henderson, Wilhoit, etc.) the Vols got 'em. Finally, the fact that Maryland beat UT last year has nothing to do with this subject.

Name one player from the state who has gone to another school and been successful...

UT recruits students from all 50 states. In particular, Virginia and Georgia. Atlanta is one of their largest alumni chapters.

It's not 1950 anymore; UT is under the national spotlight in both academics and athletics. They are there for a reason, and it's not because they got a Rhode Scholar from Marshall County or a football All American from Tellico Plains.

Fulmer does an excellent job recruiting. Ask anyone who played for UT in 1997. Ask anyone who plays in the SEC.

I'd pick Gerald Riggs, Cedric Houston, Ja'Kouri Williams, Corey Larkins, etc over Carl Stewart ANY DAY. I'd pick Dustin Colquitt over any punter in the nation.

Tell your boyfriends that played for your little high school that they can quit their job on the farm and come join our waterboy staff. Maybe you could do the same.

Edited by bigbadblue

According to a post in another forum on this site -- most of last years recruits were from the state of Tennessee.

I agree that more should come from within the state, but if you are looking for a particular position player and there is one somewhere else better go for him/her if he/she will play for you.

Also with only so many scholarships available, you have to offer those to the best of the best.

They wanted to split them, like that would happen. The twin they were not high on turned out to be the better player, even though the other is also a solid defender now. They got in late on Adarious Bowman, leading North Carolina in receiving and let Inman from Webb get out of town, haven't seen Marshall play but I saw in the preseason he was projected to start in their line as a freshman. They nearly beat Ohio State so if he's in there he can play and no doubt could have helped Tennessee's line. Did they even offer Tyson Clabo? He was an all-ACC lineman at Wake Forest and certainly would have added to the underachievers that have been blocking the last couple of years.

The facts: I posted this in another thread..and think it sheds some light on this subjext as well.

2003 NFL Roster by State

State Total

CALIFORNIA 195

FLORIDA 187

TEXAS 181

GEORGIA 94

LOUISIANA 74

OHIO 68

PENNSYLVANIA 61

SOUTH CAROLINA 52

ILLINOIS 51

MISSISSIPPI 49