Tennesse Great Players?

BigOrangeCountry24

UT recruits the players they feel as seniors can play at SEC level.

Pennington was not recruited by any of the top schools. He was a scrawny kid out of Webb that do not do well at any of the college camps he attended. UT shoots for RBs that they hope can be the next great TB not just TBs. Those that don't go to linebacker or safety. You don't win like UT does picking on the maybe player....because even if you recruit the top guys at any position a percentage are never going to play as starters. With the 85 scholarship limit you cannot afford to have many misses.

There are also many kids that do not see the opportunity to play fast enough at UT or they prefer another school due to family or getting away from the family.

I hope Carl Stewart does great at Auburn.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 FACTS that affect the legitimacy of the argument Indian and few other guys are trying to make....

1. Tennessee produces a very small quantity of high D-1 calibar players compared to states like CA, GA, FL, TX, LA, AL, OH, & PA.

2. It is not in UT's best interest to offer a scholarship to every Tennessee high school senior that is capable of playing at the D-1 level. Obviously they have a finite amount of scholarships and they have to distribute those according to their needs.

One more thing, they don't seem to do a great job of evaluating the in-state players they do sign. For every Eric Westmoreland there is a Mondre "I'm still better than any player they got even though I'm not on the team anymore" Dickerson, for every Eddie Moore there's a Joe Reid. The guys I mentioned in the previous post are/were 1-A difference makers, not just guys lucky to get signed midlevel 1-A. Oh yes, I almost forgot...you think Tennessee would have even had to consider CJ Leak or Victor McClure if they had Cooper Wallace? Did they offer him? All he is this year is preseason All-SEC.

Edited by Indian

Im not following you here indian. I mean if Tennessee just doesnt produce the quality of players that meets UT's requirements why lower your standerds for an in state prospect when you can have a much better out of state prospect. To me it's not that big of a deal as long as Tennessee is doing like they are right now. And now Fulmer looks to be doing pretty darn good. I mean just look at the 2 quarterbacks right now. Would you rather Fulmer have passed on both of them and gave those 2 scholarships to 2 players half the quality from Tennessee?

No, but when talent and attitude are equal, the in-state player should get offered first. Their coaches don't seem to do a good job of finding diamonds in the rough either, the way a Kansas State or Virginia Tech does. Too many of the Vols seem to play without intensity, or with so much intensity they don't play with any brains (Parys Haralson, others).

Bo Hardegree Jr., I mean Cade Thompson could not contribute at UT.  You lost all credibility by throwing his name out there!

825343831[/snapback]

1.who are you to say he couldnt contribute... He could be a great quarterback and will be a north car. Clausen wasnt so hot and we still let him play...

2. i agree UT should recruit out of state... more so then in state but i think they have overlooked alot of things in the last couple years such as pennington...iian occonor of marshall came from halls and to some is considered one of the best place kickers in the game right now... i mean those are just 2 but there is more. i guess there some genius philosophy behind it all!

Edited by 77kcoRaeB77

Name one player from the state who has gone to another school and been successful...

UT recruits students from all 50 states. In particular, Virginia and Georgia. Atlanta is one of their largest alumni chapters.

It's not 1950 anymore; UT is under the national spotlight in both academics and athletics. They are there for a reason, and it's not because they got a Rhode Scholar from Marshall County or a football All American from Tellico Plains.

Fulmer does an excellent job recruiting. Ask anyone who played for UT in 1997. Ask anyone who plays in the SEC.

I'd pick Gerald Riggs, Cedric Houston, Ja'Kouri Williams, Corey Larkins, etc over Carl Stewart ANY DAY. I'd pick Dustin Colquitt over any punter in the nation.

Tell your boyfriends that played for your little high school that they can quit their job on the farm and come join our waterboy staff. Maybe you could do the same.

825344246[/snapback]

dang buddy chill it out a little bit. No one said anything about Fulmer doing anything less than a good job at UT. All im tryin to say is there are not whole, whole lot of players, but there are a good bit that dont get looked at.

77kcoRaeB77 - For your information UT tried to recruit Stewart but he didn't want to play LB so UT went on to someone else.

As for Pennington UT had Peyton and Tee it was bad timing plus he was invited to walk-on but didn't. Sometimes you can have a loaded position and with the 85 limit cannot afford another player at that position unless they are head and shoulders above anyone else.

As for Thompson he may or may not play(he would be behind Hardegree on the depth chart at UT, plus UT has 1 commitment better and 2 on the team now who are better) but also remember this alot of players want to leave. Look at Auburns team they have guys from Tennessee and from Brentwood Academy which with Brentwood for a couple of years Auburn was a big Fad. Look at the player from Nashville that UT recruited 2 years ago who committed the signed with Colorado, or the player last year that decided on Virginia for Academic reasons. UT recruits players they think can win for them and who they think fit their system. Some want to leave state and some don't but with the lean talent 6 or 7 year is all you can really take. For each one you can say made it in college ball for other schools I can name 2 who didn't.

For the one who stated that he didn't root for UT because of instate recruiting. Give Me A Break! that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard, root for whoever you want but at least be honest about it.

The overall talent in the state of Tennessee is bad and on average produce only 5-7 top D1 caliber players a year.

By the way Pre-Season all SEC is nice but why don't you wait till the team is announced at the end of the year!

Before popping off about UT not recruiting players in state why don't you take the time to do a little indepth studying on the matter and leave your bias in another room.

77kcoRaeB77 - For your information UT tried to recruit Stewart but he didn't want to play LB so UT went on to someone else.

As for Pennington UT had Peyton and Tee it was bad timing plus he was invited to walk-on but didn't. Sometimes you can have a loaded position and with the 85 limit cannot afford another player at that position unless they are head and shoulders above anyone else.

As for Thompson he may or may not play(he would be behind Hardegree on the depth chart at UT, plus UT has 1 commitment better and 2 on the team now who are better) but also remember this alot of players want to leave. Look at Auburns team they have guys from Tennessee and from <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> which with Brentwood for a couple of years Auburn was a big Fad. Look at the player from Nashville that UT recruited 2 years ago who committed the signed with Colorado, or the player last year that decided on Virginia for Academic reasons. UT recruits players they think can win for them and who they think fit their system. Some want to leave state and some don't but with the lean talent 6 or 7 year is all you can really take. For each one you can say made it in college ball for other schools I can name 2 who didn't.

For the one who stated that he didn't root for UT because of instate recruiting. Give Me A Break! that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard, root for whoever you want but at least be honest about it.

The overall talent in the state of Tennessee is bad and on average produce only 5-7 top D1 caliber players a year.

By the way Pre-Season all SEC is nice but why don't you wait till the team is announced at the end of the year!

Before popping off about UT not recruiting players in state why don't you take the time to do a little indepth studying on the matter and leave your bias in another room.

825344642[/snapback]

haha my bad lemme go study a little bit and il write something else...you people take everything so seriously. Always on the defensive. By the way il put my "bias" wherever i wanna... thanks

Out of those 45 players count the scholarship players. Sorry but walk-ons don't count in my book. They hang on to alot of dead weight from Tennessee to let the typical UT fan believe they recruit the state. Like Jim Bob Cooter from Lincoln County will never play a meaningful snap in his career.

825344174[/snapback]

The media guide also has the walk-ons listed only (16) of the non-scholorship players are from Tennessee that means that (29) players on UT's roster from Tennessee are on scholorship. Tennessee might not get many from the state but they most of the time can hand pick the Div1A talent they want and get most of the time!

By the way both Jim Bob Cooter & Bo Hardegree are on scholorship!

Edited by Sequatchie