CPA Rolls On

divepix

CPA had a slow start adjusting to the conditions against NCS in a steady and windy downpour. 1st quarter ended 0-0 as CPA tried to pass deep without success. Receivers were open but conditions made it hard to get the ball to them.

CPA scored 27 in the 2nd quarter, however, starting with a great punt return TD by Luke Landers.

The CPA starters played little after the 3rd quarter after leading 33-0 after 3.

Travis Sikes caught 2 TD's from Josh Pollock and threw one to Landers after catching a screen pass from Pollock.

Sikes also had a great game punting and played QB at times effectively running the ball.

The CPA defense is very tough with Alex House, Brandon Fisher and the rest leading the way. CB Kyle Hawley had 2 Int.'s.

NCS played hard and despite the score, have much improved over last year. They are very hardnosed and are hard hitters.

Go, CPA !

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with divepix that NCS are a lot stronger than last year. Like other weeks they again showed a tendency to turn over the ball, but in all fairness the conditions tonight made it tough for both teams offensively. I am not sure, but I don't think either team had a first down at all until the 2nd quarter.

CPA defense played great, the first string offense definitely took the first quarter to get used to the conditions then really clicked into gear for the 2nd quarter and did all the damage before they were pulled early in the 3rd quarter.

CPA was not sharp tonight, but it is hard to judge in the weather.

One thing some people may not know, but CPA's offense (other than Sikes, Landers and Pollock) are very young. They have 2 freshmen and 6 other new starters on offense.

Matthews coaching philosophy is to play your 3 best skilled offensive players on offense and then put all of your other best athletes on the team on defense. So CPA's defense is ahead of their offense right now, especially on the line.

After a few more games, the new offensive players will be more experienced and with the defense they have, CPA will be even tougher.

Also, next week will be the first game this season when all injured starters will be healthy.

Tonight's game was ugly to say the least. NCS again was plagued by fumbles, many unforced, and lack of offensive execution. CPA had a slow start, but picked things up in the 2nd quarter, moving the ball and capitalizing off NCS's mistakes. I agree that NCS is a much improved team, but has a long way to go to play with CPA for a whole game (especially considering lack of depth and turnover frequency). Sikes and Landers are great athletes who play very hard and lead CPA's offense. Couldn't see much about Polluck tonight because of the weather. The one thing that did bother me and other fans, however, was #10's constant jawing and late hits. The kid plays hard and does have a famous father, but the lack of character shown on the field was somewhat surprising, though i can understand the competitiveness that comes out in some players in that way from time to time. Overall it was a good game and i was glad to be able to see it. Good luck to both teams in the rest of the season.

I haven't seen the official stats yet, but i believe CPA had under 200 yards total offense. Much can be taken from that, but just an interesting stat, if it is indeed true.

. . . The one thing that did bother me and other fans, however, was #10's constant jawing and late hits. The kid plays hard and does have a famous father, but the lack of character shown on the field was somewhat surprising, though i can understand the competitiveness that comes out in some players in that way from time to time.

825344793[/snapback]

It was obvious to me that #10 was targeted all night. I thought the officials did a poor job of keeping things under control. However, his late hit in the fourth quarter was uncalled for.