Tennesee High

h-unit

Pudding make s an excellent point and one I've somehow managed to overlook (how'd I do that). The key to Maryville is our depth, among other key factors. Most of our second and third string could start at other 4A and even 5A schools.

That's not boasting. That's not being the all time leading hitter in homerism. It's truly a fact. If you come to play Maryville, you're coming to play a team that never gets tired. That's really tough on our opponents. Ask Central and Powell.

There's a lot of bravado in male dominated sports. When it comes to the endurance issue, you'll see a lot of teams with a great 1st string, half a 2nd string and a 3rd string with no chance of seeing the field thump their chests and talk about how tough they are and how well conditioned they are.

I'm serious guys. If you don't have a 2nd string you feel good about starting against playoff opponents, you might have already lost against Maryville.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papa,

If you really plan on travelling to Bristol to catch the Vikings this week, you may need to have a friend there get/save you a ticket.  Maybe one of these Viking CoachT'ers would be willing to get you on and meet you at a gate.???? The tickets last week sold out in a few hours.  Of course that game last week was vs. "at-the-time" undefeated Sullivan East and the Bluff City folks thought it would be a game.  Point is, not sure if this week's game will be a sell out.  Maybe some of the Tennessee High fans can eleborate and volunteer to help you out.  I won't be there.

To answer your question about seeing both teams.  I've seen Maryville in years past.  I've seen Tennessee High this year.  But, this still isn't a true or fair comparison.  My gut feeling is if this years Rebel team is like teams of the past, they are deeper than the Vikings and play better defense.  The Viking RBs and O-line have done a fantastic job so far in '04.  If the Viking RBs see any daylight it could be bad for the Rebels.

So here's my prediction (and yes TN High gets by an improved Cherokee team):

Tennesse High 27

Maryville 35

825414508[/snapback]

Thanks Pudding. I appreciate the response. If I decide to go, I'll not worry about tickets too much. I mean, I can always just have the coaching staff over at MHS make a call and get me some tickets....since I've been told they already know that process at THS. Haha.

But seriously, I wouldn't expect the game to sell out. MoTown West really doesn't travel all that well. And with their down season, I wouldn't expect them to fill the visitor section...but hey I hope I'm wrong. I just know that their stands were FAR FROM FULL when MHS went up there this year. And I would expect that to be a Marquee game for them.

To answer your questions about MHS...I think they might not be quite as good as last year. Just one small step lower on the scale of greatness where they live everyday, but just not quite as good. Now, having said that...I think the coaching staff has used what they do have better this year than at any time in my recent memory. They've adjusted the offensive scheme to make the pieces fit better and they've figured out a rotation on defense that gets it done. My gut is that if last year's team could have beaten THS, then this year's team can as well.

Thanks again pudding.

Papa, I'm gonna have to stray from our usual dead-on agreement to agree. I think we're MUCH thougher in the O and D lines this year and it's been our best strength all year. Now if your referring to "skill" positions (I hate that term), I'd say last years team might be a step better....I'd like to have Chris McCord back is the translation.

Edited by dmoyers1

I think we'd all be willing to take Chris McCord back. He was really, really good. And he had something intangible in that he got better the tougher and closer the game was.

Having said that, Ryan Tallent is a freaking stud! That's my favorite player hands down. He'll knock your cap off and put the stiff arm on you like no one else.

But you're right about the offensive line. I don't know about the D line. I'd sure love to have Andrew Hodge back as well.

I think we'd all be willing to take Chris McCord back. He was really, really good. And he had something intangible in that he got better the tougher and closer the game was.

Having said that, Ryan Tallent is a freaking stud! That's my favorite player hands down. He'll knock your cap off and put the stiff arm on you like no one else.

But you're right about the offensive line. I don't know about the D line. I'd sure love to have Andrew Hodge back as well.

825416239[/snapback]

Hodge got a lot of PT at Maryville College this year. McCord got a fair amount.

One more name: Offensive MVP of 2002 Blue Cross/ Blue Shield State Championship - Mr. Tyler Gaskin