Jefferson County vs. Karns

HEATHHELTON

There's always something to talk about--like, how can JC get better?  I think JC will roll the table as well, Shivy will be all-state, etc.  My question:  Will learning how to pass as an offense affect the possibilties of Shivy making all-state? (Less rushing attempts?)  I don't think so--in fact it should open up the defense against the run more and Shivy's yardage per attempt should rise.  Hence, fewer attempts for the same amount of yardage, thus less wear and tear on our mainstay so that he's fresher for the play-offs while we work on our weakness.  I think we should throw the ball no less than 10 times a game from here out regardless--we just need to make many of them "safe" passes with little chance of turnover (quick slants, wr screens, etc.).  Once in a while, we need to go deep just to keep the dbs honest.  By doing this we'll be a better team overall and go deeper in the play-offs.  Just my thoughts--I'm not the coach--don't want to be--just an avid fan who desires the best team possible when we enter the play-offs.

825359208[/snapback]

Good post, most people arent bashing Coach U when saying that we want to see the ball thrown more, its just that being multi-dimensional will help out come playoff time. I agree with insider and barnyard, if we dont win out then we will have beaten ourselves. We have superior talent in each of our next five games. It would also be nice to cut down on Shiverdecker's carries...he's still gonna get his yards, but it will me imperative for us to have him come late October.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work 2nd string in with starters throughout the game. These guys need playing time. Coach U looks a little like Meadows in that we don't look to the future.

825358646[/snapback]

Have you guys looked at our sideline during games? There are many kids who don`t get to play(guess thats one good thing about the drop in numbers) Most of the 2nd string start somewhere else, we are already starting more sophmores than Meadows ever did, and we have alot of juniors who are starting. At this point it is amost impossible to mix starters with 2nd string, we would have alot of guys going both ways. I know you guys want to complain about something, but you`re way off on coach U not playing kids.

Have you guys looked at our sideline during games? There are many kids who don`t get to play(guess thats one good thing about the drop in numbers) Most of the 2nd string start somewhere else, we are already starting more sophmores than Meadows ever did, and we have alot of juniors who are starting. At this point it is amost impossible to mix starters with 2nd string, we would have alot of guys going both ways. I know you guys want to complain about something, but you`re way off on coach U not playing kids.

825359219[/snapback]

Sorry, but i havent had the pleasure of watching a game this year, living out of state tends to do that. But from what i have read and heard from some knowledgable, unbiased fans that have followed and been involved with the JC football program for a long time, we're leaving key players out there and risking injury. Namely, Shiverdecker. I know its nice to get the stats up, but when the game is all but over, get him out. He's got a lot of talent. Cant afford losing him in a game thats already been decided.

On a different note, i'm very pleased that Coach U has been playing younger guys on the field, a lot different from Coach Meadows.

A question for you JC4life, Are there simply not enough bodies on the field to allow for enough reserves?

Sorry, but i havent had the pleasure of watching a game this year, living out of state tends to do that.  But from what i have read and heard from some knowledgable, unbiased fans that have followed and been involved with the JC football program for a long time, we're leaving key players out there and risking injury.  Namely, Shiverdecker.  I know its nice to get the stats up, but when the game is all but over, get him out.  He's got a lot of talent.  Cant afford losing him in a game thats already been decided. 

On a different note, i'm very pleased that Coach U has been playing younger guys on the field, a lot different from Coach Meadows. 

A question for you JC4life, Are there simply not enough bodies on the field to allow for enough reserves?

825359237[/snapback]

IMO the reason the starters were left in so long last game is because coach U wasn`t happy with the way we played once the game was in hand. If we had played like we did in the 1st quarter the entire game, the starters would have been out by the 2nd series in the 2nd half. We somewhat let up, which is why I think they were left in so long.

Its not so much that we don`t have enough bodies for reserves, our 2nd string is made up of some starters. Like I said, since we have a good amount of lower classmen starting, it takes away from some of the depth we would have had. Since we are running the two platoon system, we don`t have all those extra guys like we did last year. Let me put it this way,we have enough guys to be able to run the two platoon sysytem with our starters, but we don`t have enough guys to run the two platoon system when we get into the 2nd and 3rd string. Alot of guys went both ways last year, so it was easy to put in all fresh players.

Edited by JC4life

IMO the reason the starters were left in so long last game is because coach U wasn`t happy with the way we played once the game was in hand. If we had played like we did in the 1st quarter the entire game, the starters would have been out by the 2nd series in the 2nd half. We somewhat let up, which is why I think they were left in so long.

Its not so much that we don`t have enough bodies for reserves, our 2nd string is made up of some starters. Like I said, since we have a good amount of lower classmen starting, it takes away from some of the depth we would have had. Since we are running the two platoon system, we don`t have all those extra guys like we did last year. Let me put it this way,we have enough guys to be able to run the two platoon sysytem with our starters, but we don`t have enough guys to run the two platoon system when we get into the 2nd and 3rd string. Alot of guys went both ways last year, so it was easy to put in all fresh players.

825359272[/snapback]

Good post--I think JC4Life is right. Platooning takes 20-22 guys from the beginning. If there is a second string, we'd need 20-22 more players who can play effectively. For example, Shivy is third string on defense because what good would it do to rest him on offense and then have to play him on defense when the "second" string goes in. A lot of our starters are second string on the other side of the ball, so putting in second string may not be the answer. The answer is rotating a few players at the positions where we do have extra guys. Say Mike Stanley coming in for Rabbit at outside LB a series or two during the game, or Solomon for that matter. The problem is that we don't have this luxury at many positions because there is a big fall-off from first (and second) teamers and the third team guys and then you get into the danger of hurting the whole team in a close game. I think we have a lot of guys getting playing time--there's just a few that we need to get more reps in case we need them later on (due to injury).

Good post--I think JC4Life is right.  Platooning takes 20-22 guys from the beginning.  If there is a second string, we'd need 20-22 more players who can play effectively.  For example, Shivy is third string on defense because what good would it do to rest him on offense and then have to play him on defense when the "second" string goes in.  A lot of our starters are second string on the other side of the ball, so putting in second string may not be the answer.  The answer is rotating a few players at the positions where we do have extra guys.  Say Mike Stanley coming in for Rabbit at outside LB a series or two during the game, or Solomon for that matter.  The problem is that we don't have this luxury at many positions because there is a big fall-off from first (and second) teamers and the third team guys and then you get into the danger of hurting the whole team in a close game.  I think we have a lot of guys getting playing time--there's just a few that we need to get more reps in case we need them later on (due to injury).

825359280[/snapback]

Mike Stanely is just coming back from being out for a while, he will be seeing more time now. OLB is a spot where we have some depth,but like you said there aren`t many guys who we can do that with. We have some really good offensive players on defense(Rabbit,John Huskey,Billy Luther,Smiley) who won`t play much offense, some won`t play at all. There are both good a bad things that come from running the two platoon system, it will help is in the long run. Maybe when these guys have had a chance to get more conditioned, we can start playing more both ways ;)

Down the road, if they are needed Id like to see kids like Luther, Acuff, Yeary and others play both ways a lot. I know its demanding but I think they could make an impact if someone else doesnt step up.

We do have a good team this year but I wouldnt call it top 10 in all of 5A, thats a little much dont you think? Top 10 in East TN yes but not all of the state, thats a bit of a stretch. Right now we are maybe third in East TN behind DB and Oak Ridge.

I dont see Karns giving us any trouble this time, I look for Pewitt to have a breakout game Id like to see him have 10-15 completions because Karns will be looking to stop the run.

Down the road, if they are needed Id like to see kids like Luther, Acuff, Yeary and others play both ways a lot. I know its demanding but I think they could make an impact if someone else doesnt step up.

We do have a good team this year but I wouldnt call it top 10 in all of 5A, thats a little much dont you think? Top 10 in East TN yes but not all of the state, thats a bit of a stretch. Right now we are maybe third in East TN behind DB and Oak Ridge.

I dont see Karns giving us any trouble this time, I look for Pewitt to have a breakout game Id like to see him have 10-15 completions because Karns will be looking to stop the run.

825360239[/snapback]

Lawyer, you're right--I think top ten is a little steep right now--Thinking ahead (something we shouldn't do because five games are yet to be played) I believe we win through the first round of playoffs and consider anything after that to be gravy in a season that was supposed to be a rebuilding year. That would be 9-3 if we lost in the second round--who would've thought it before the year began? (Should have been 10-2 but Rhea County is...well, Rhea County). Getting past Oak Ridge in the second round (or Db later) will be tough but who knows what Smoot may have up his sleeve. He's gotten by with some players on defense that I thought would hurt him (especially in the defensive backfield) but who can argue with success? I am pleased so far. Let's see how the rest of the season goes and I may change my mind about being a top ten team, especially if we develop a passing game. BTW, Acuff, the Elder, does play both ways.

Top 10 will not come until the year end, as JC will win out and have a 8-2 record.

DB will slip up and get beat by someone and end up 9-1.

OR has already lost to DB and will lose 1 more time to Soddy.

Riverdale will be 10-0 and some other team from middle Tn will be 9-1

Unless JC gets to impressed with themselfs they should be top 10 at the end of the regular season.

JC hopefully will draw the lower team in the other brackets and could go 2 or 3 game deep in the play-offs.

When we get into the play-offs the teams with good talent that can stop Schevy by putting 8 in the box and play good mam to man D we are in trouble. JC will have to throw the ball, and as I have said all year JC will get beat. Below average QB, and WO will cost JC a chance to go deep into the play-offs. Coach U has played conserved all year. A 9-3 record, and get into the play-offs will make him happy in his first year, but this team could have gone deper if the talent would have been used the correct way.

This TEAM will turn out to be as good as last years team, beacuse all the guy's on this team are not concerned about themselves or running up numbers, just winning the game.

Top 10 will not come until the year end, as JC will win out and have a 8-2 record.

DB will slip up and get beat by someone and end up 9-1.

OR has already lost to DB and will lose 1 more time to Soddy.

Riverdale will be 10-0 and some other team from middle Tn will be 9-1

Unless JC gets to impressed with themselfs they should be top 10 at the end of the regular season.

JC hopefully will draw the lower team in the other brackets and could go 2 or 3 game deep in the play-offs.

When we get into the play-offs the teams with good talent that can stop Schevy by putting 8 in the box and play good mam to man D we are in trouble. JC will have to throw the ball, and as I have said all year JC will get beat. Below average QB, and WO will cost JC a chance to go deep into the play-offs. Coach U has played conserved all year. A 9-3 record, and get into the play-offs will make him happy in his first year, but this team could have gone deper if the talent would have been used the correct way.

This TEAM will turn out to be as good as last years team, beacuse all the guy's on this team are not concerned about themselves or running up numbers, just winning the game.

825360426[/snapback]

you guys seem to keep forgetting that marty was hired in the spring, not exactly a lot of time to put what he wants offensively, at this point marty is doing better than i thought he would, but the man keeps on proving the critics, hes one of the best in this state! be glad you have him