Commentary by Murphy Fair

Bighurt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone! I am writing an essay for a class and Private vs Public is my topic! I have searched the internet and haven't had much luck in finding facts on why Privates shouldnt be able to compete with publics. I need facts and was wordering if anyone knew of any sites off the top of thier head i could look at 2 get some info. I need actually proof that privates recruit, have better facities, and a higher quailified staff. Thanks for the help!!!!!

Do a search of lazarus' posts in this forum. He supplies real numbers.

Hey everyone! I am writing an essay for a class and Private vs Public is my topic! I have searched the internet and haven't had much luck in finding facts on why Privates shouldnt be able to compete with publics.  I need facts and was wordering if anyone knew of any sites off the top of thier head i could look at 2 get some info. I need actually proof that privates recruit, have better facities, and a higher quailified staff.  Thanks for the help!!!!!

825445250[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...
I read the article and appreciate the link.  The more public and private discussion, the better in my opinion.  I don't believe Murphy has any influence over coaches or administrators.  More coaches and administrators have to discuss the issue if there is to be any real changes.

My two cents: recruiting is the problem.  I will take a lie detector test.  Some D2 schools are still recruiting.  I will not name any names on an Internet site.  Don't ask.  No, I'm not accusing everyone by not naming schools.  Anyone who is seriously involved in this issue knows that certain schools recruit.

Do publics recruit?  Yes.  Do public schools offer financial assistance and other incentives that D2 schools offer when they recruit? No.

Until everyone stops recruiting, there will never be agreement nor sufficient interest in bringing everyone back together.

825359704[/snapback]

To add my two cents worth to yours, I agree that recruiting whether by a public or a private is the main PROBLEM that causes the rift between the two sectors of schools. However I feel that the untouchable nature of the TSSAA and their weak sister approach to enforcing recruiting rules is the main CULPRIT in this whole fiasco. The State governing body needs to have a rotating door on the Directorship to alleviate the feeling that it has turned into a Dictatorship the way many coaches and administrators feel it is now. It is a state created organization operating under the blanket of the Dept. of Education for legality although it is not directly under the DOE. If elected officials could stay in office as long as our beloved Director of the TSSAA we would still have one of the Clements or Ellingtons in the Governors office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once upon a time I remember a school (no name) in Knoxville that got caught cheating on the rules of the TSSAA while it was under a man named Gideon. That school got the death penalty for football for one year and had to restart with JV the year after that. If we went to four classes for everyone in all sports and used a multiplier for privates and had some folks that would actually go out in the field and investigate the wrong doing and then enforce rules with an agressive nature to the point of death penalty for publics or privates if caught recruiting, playing over age, etc. then we wouldn't even be talking now............ thumb

possum....Here`s a different approach. Give up recruitng rules. Let kids go where they want to go. The TSSAA can`t investigate everything as it is. Split proponents complain about a different set of rules, but the rules are different from county to county, from school system to school system. They need to drop the transfer rule. It`s just plain stupid. If a kid chooses to change schools then let him/her. If a kid is approved by the local school system to enroll in a different school, then the TSSAA should accept it. There are too many reasons for changing schools, many of which are far more important than playing sports, to penalize kids because we think another school is cheating. We need to get over ourselves. Let kids go where they want.

Even with a merit, an MBA, BA or McCallie would more than likely win the highest level and you'd be back where you started. Maybe not this year as they, as a group, seemed to be down a bit and a Riverdale could take it, but in most of the past few years I'd have bet on a Super 7 team winning.

possum....Here`s a different approach. Give up recruitng rules. Let kids go where they want to go. The TSSAA can`t investigate everything as it is. Split proponents complain about a different set of rules, but the rules are different from county to county, from school system to school system. They need to drop the transfer rule. It`s just plain stupid. If a kid chooses to change schools then let him/her. If a kid is approved by the local school system to enroll in a different school, then the TSSAA should accept it. There are too many reasons for changing schools, many of which are far more important than playing sports, to penalize kids because we think another school is cheating. We need to get over ourselves. Let kids go where they want.

825461094[/snapback]

Too bad the TSSAA doesn't control a school district's zoning. If all school districts would give up zoning, then we may be in business.