S.Hill vs Jefferson Co

JC4life

Shoun is a decent QB and obviously the best Science Hill had. Jeff. Co. cannot relax knowing this, or they will get bit by the upset bug again. Last weeks loss was a bad one as far as playoff positioning is concerned. It wll probably put us on the road in the playoffs. By the way, how to other JC fans feel about the decision to go for the win. I liked it because it shows confidence in the players. How does the faile conversion way on the team and coaches?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoun is a decent QB and obviously the best Science Hill had. Jeff. Co. cannot relax knowing this, or they will get bit by the upset bug again. Last weeks loss was a bad one as far as playoff positioning is concerned. It wll probably put us on the road in the playoffs. By the way, how to other JC fans feel about the decision to go for the win. I liked it because it shows confidence in the players. How does the faile conversion way on the team and coaches?

825368362[/snapback]

I liked the call, make the block, we have the two points, the pass was wide open, we had momentum, falls back on a missed block.

I liked the call, make the block, we have the two points, the pass was  wide open, we had momentum, falls back on a missed block.

825368376[/snapback]

I hate to keep this going, but (1) get the PAT, let Shivy do his thing in OT. (2) If we are going for two, give to Shivy, they hadn't stoped him all night (200+yards). What was he thinking? Element of suprise. I'm suprised everytime we complete a pass. These are the type of plays he needs to work on in blowouts, not conference "have to" wins! We run the ball (with the 1st team) in the 1st QTR when we are up 21 points and pass on a two point conversion to a win a game. We didn't need a hero, we needed a win.

Edited by DAFAN

I hate to keep this going, but (1) get the PAT, let Shivy do his thing in OT. (2) If we are going for two, give to Shivy, they hadn't stoped him all night (200+yards). What was he thinking? Element of suprise. I'm suprised everytime we complete a pass. These are the type of plays he needs to work on in blowouts, not conference "have to" wins! We run the ball (with the 1st team) in the 1st QTR when we are up 21 points and pass on a two point conversion to a win a game. We didn't need a hero, we needed a win.

825368724[/snapback]

Shivvy is the one that missed the block.

By the way, how to other JC fans feel about the decision to go for the win. I liked it because it shows confidence in the players. How does the faile conversion way on the team and coaches?

825368362[/snapback]

I hate the call for a number of reasons. First and most importantly, going for 2 was the WRONG call. It makes no sense from a strategic point of view, I know coach U wants to think positive, but as a head coach he has to look at both sides of the coinwhat happens if we don`t get the 2.........WE LOSE INSTANTLY. The risk of that play far outweighed the reward, and the result was an instant loss. Red81KPsmash you say that play shows confidence in the players, I disagree. I think is shows a lack of confidence that we could get the win in OT. Why would you go for 2 and risk losing instantly, if you thought you could win in OT?

2nd, like most people have said not giving the ball to Chris was just plain stupid IMO. If (and thats a BIG if) you are going to go for 2, GIVE IT TO THE BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER! As we saw, a million things can go wrong when you pass with a team who doesn`t get to pass that much. If we had been successful all night throwing the ball, I wouldn`t have that big of a problem. How can we not pass all season, then when we need a big play to win, WE PASS? IF you are going to go for 2 in that situation, line up in the goaline set with Yeary at FB, and flat out knock the stuffings out of the opponet. Not alot can go wrong when you do that, you either get in, or get stopped, its simple football(where have I heard that before?). Out motto all season has been "we know where the ball is going, you know where the ball is going, now can you stop it" If you`re going to make that point known, you don`t go away from that when you need a big play.

Guest Oakland
I hate the call for a number of reasons. First and most importantly, going for 2 was the WRONG call. It makes no sense from a strategic point of view, I know coach U wants to think positive, but as a head coach he has to look at both sides of the coinwhat happens if we don`t get the 2.........WE LOSE INSTANTLY. The risk of that play far outweighed the reward, and the result was an instant loss. Red81KPsmash you say that play shows confidence in the players, I disagree. I think is shows a lack of confidence that we could get the win in OT. Why would you go for 2 and risk losing instantly, if you thought you could win in OT?

2nd, like most people have said not giving the ball to Chris was just plain stupid IMO. If (and thats a BIG if) you are going to go for 2, GIVE IT TO THE BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER! As we saw, a million things can go wrong when you pass with a team who doesn`t get to pass that much. If we had been successful all night throwing the ball, I wouldn`t have that big of a problem. How can we not pass all season, then when we need a big play to win, WE PASS? IF you are going to go for 2 in that situation, line up in the goaline set with Yeary at FB, and flat out knock the stuffings out of the opponet. Not alot can go wrong when you do that, you either get in, or get stopped, its simple football(where have I heard that before?). Out motto all season has been "we know where the ball is going, you know where the ball is going, now can you stop it" If you`re going to make that point known, you don`t go away from that when you need a big play.

825368817[/snapback]

ill add my opinion on marty going for 2: i side with kpsmash in that i think marty was showing a lot of confidence in his offense bu going for 2. with the way the defense was playing, marty was probably worried that his defense couldnt stop karns on the 10 everytime had they gone into overtime. as far as the actual play, i think passing the ball was a good decision, karns would have been expecting jeff co to get it to shiverdecker and i think marty was trying to suprise them to get the 2. anyways, its in the past and continually talking about wont bring the L back, so just look ahead to science hill and heres hoping you guys win out and finish 7-3 thumb

I was waiting for Oakland to respond to this one, and I'm not at all suprised with his thoughts. I can see both sides of the argument. But no one knows exactly what Coach U was thinking. Personally I disagree with the call (no offense Oakland), I think Coach should have had confidence in his D and Shiverdecker to put in into OT, they've been the bread and butter all year. But I wasnt at the game, so I dont know how bad the D was playing, although i've heard that they gave up some cheap scores, after turnovers put them at a distinct disadvantage. As far as Shiverdecker goes, I dont think that anyone should be scared that he wouldnt have been able to continue moving the ball...he did rush over 200 yards on the night. Another advantage JC has is its kicking game, from what I understand, Jenkins is a solid kicker and could have been relied upon to put up the 3 pts. if needed from anywhere from 35 yrs in. As for the pass play, I dont agree with that call at all. Like 4Life said, its been our philosophy to run it right at you all year, even if you know its coming. If its broken dont fix it...especially when you're trying to fix it with something that hasnt been proven yet...our passing game is classified as mediocre, at best. not to bash our QB and WRs (they are completely capable of passing the ball, its just not our offense), but we just havent had much time in games to work on the pass. It was one coaching mistake. Lets just hope it doesnt come back to bite us when it comes time to see who makes the playoffs.

Edited by HEATHHELTON

Guest Oakland
I was waiting for Oakland to respond to this one, and I'm not at all suprised with his thoughts.  I can see both sides of the argument. But no one knows exactly what Coach U was thinking.  Personally I disagree with the call (no offense Oakland), I think Coach should have had confidence in his D and Shiverdecker to put in into OT, they've been the bread and butter all year. But I wasnt at the game, so I dont know how bad the D was playing, although i've heard that they gave up some cheap scores, after turnovers put them at a distinct disadvantage. As far as Shiverdecker goes, I dont think that anyone should be scared that he wouldnt have been able to continue moving the ball...he did rush over 200 yards on the night.  Another advantage JC has is its kicking game, from what I understand, Jenkins is a solid kicker and could have been relied upon to put up the 3 pts. if needed from anywhere from 35 yrs in.  As for the pass play, I dont agree with that call at all.  Like 4Life said, its been our philosophy to run it right at you all year, even if you know its coming.  If its broken dont fix it...especially when you're trying to fix it with something that hasnt been proven yet...our passing game is classified as mediocre, at best.  not to bash our QB and WRs (they are completely capable of passing the ball, its just not our offense), but we just havent had much time in games to work on the pass.  It was one coaching mistake.  Lets just hope it doesnt come back to bite us when it comes time to see who makes the playoffs.

825368921[/snapback]

nice to know that im considered part of the family now :D . before you guys think that i feel that marty is god, i have disagreed with many of his calls that he made at oakland. i suspect a big reason why marty went for 2 is because from what it looks like, the defense was struggling and didnt think they could hold karns in ot. but like i said earlier, its a moot point, you will do yourself no favors by constantly worrying about it, just worry about science hill. GO PATS! thumb