Cannon co football coach

Bigtimer

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannon Co. may have good size but that's about all they have going for them. Big guys are just going to hurt your team if they're all fat and no muscle and they're about as slow as molasses. Strong agile teams with a lot of speed are what wins championships, the big slow teams are just going to be left in the dust, because they're defensless against the stronger faster teams. So they need to put some of those big guys on a diet and beef them up. And some new coaches wouldn't hurt either.

There's no doubt everybody needs good feeder programs and all that but if the current coaching staff hasn't gotten that accomplished or isn't at least in the process of it then it is definitely time for a change. Cannon County CAN win. Yes it does take a special person at the right time. I agree with wingman10,but I would stick with Riverdale at this point. Excellent example is Jimmy Maynord now head coach @ Smith Co., was an assistant there when he went to Upperman. Quickly built them into a real good program when nobody thought there was any talent in Baxter,that everybody good went to Cookeville.At that time Smith Co. was pretty similar to what Upperman is now. Then Coach Maynord goes to Smith and you see where they are,and where Upperman is back to;not much better than Cannon,if any. So yes the coach DOES matter.

The Lions have had good coaches, including Coach Mayfield. If If you do replace Coach Nickerson, hire an assistant from Murfreesboro.

825386740[/snapback]

Am I the only person on the board that knows anything about the Mayfield teams in Smith Co. in the 70's before Rankin came to town???? Holy cow Mayfield isn't still coaching is he?

Where's oldchsman??? He can probably shed some light.

Lazarus, they're independent teams with volunteers coaching. It kinda has to be that way since all the players aren't from one school -- the teams are composed of kids from the 6 grammar schools. So maybe that'll help you. And beethoven, I wasn't around in the 70's to know if he was at SC or not, but if you're talking about Michael Mayfield, no he's not coaching anymore, but he is still our assistant principal. Wingman10, how do you know about us?

I would have to say obviously they need a different coach. cannon co. is not a huge school by any means but, there has to be some sort of talent there, and if there is a good coach, he'll make things happen in just about any situation. but the county/school system/high school are going to have to make it attractive to coach there. take care of the coach, its not the best job, you have a lot of headaches the general public is not going to think about, and that can cause some to lose sight of what they need to be doing as a coach or cause them to burn out, so you have to take care of them.

Yeah, but the LA coach is probably a GOOD coach, and probably a likeable, friendly guy. That's not exactly Nickerson's description. A majority of our problems are the coach's fault -- I've even seen guys in the stands at games who aren't parents of players or anything, just town fans, look at Nickerson, hear what play he's calling, and question why he's doing that. Then it ends up with a sack, a yardage loss, an interception, or some other catastrophe. It's like there's regular people from the community out here that seem to know more about what we should be doing than our own head coach does! Something is wrong with that! But you know, it isn't exactly every coach's dream job out here, so I guess we're just lucky that we actually have somebody that's willing to do it. Go LIONS! B)