How did your team do?

OR nole

I played for F. J. Reitz High School, located in Evansville, IN.

In the 1977 season, we were City, SIAC Conference, Regional, and Semi-State champions, and played for the 3A state championship. We finished with a 12-1 record in 3A. That was the highest classification at the time. That year we played before crowds of 10,000+ at least 6 times.

The 1978 season saw my team finish with a record of 8-1. We were Co-City and Co-Conference champions. We missed the playoffs because we could not find a 10th team to fill out our schedule. Our only loss was to Evansville Memorial. They were lead by QB/DB Don Mattingly, who later went on to star with the New York Yankees. He could of played in a major college conference in football and basketball.

In my senior year, 1979, we finished with a record of 6-4. In the first game of my senior year, we were privilaged to play in front of over 14,000 fans. We were Co-City champions. We started mostly seniors. Our 6-4 record was not bad considering as freshmen we were 1-5-1. During that 1979 season Evansville Reitz became the first football team in the history of Indiana high school football to win 400 games.

I was very fortunate to play for a high school that is very rich in football tradition.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freshman year- our freshman team went a record 0-8, varsity went 4-6 i think

Sophomore year-made playoffs lost to oakland in the first round by alot.

Junior year- region champions, lost in second round to Blackman on a fluke

Senior year- first round playoff loss to riverdale but had a sweet trick play carry as a gaurd for 20 yards.

great times. im not old or far removed but i miss it tons.

Seeing "Friday Night Lights" definately stimulated the "has-been" thing. Life has so many pleasures at all stages, BUT I hope you guys playing now appreciate how good you have it. So many of us would give so much just to play one more game.

825377301[/snapback]

Man i totally agree. I go to the games and watch from the stands and just wish for 1 more down that I can get out there and play again.

I played at Union City in the early 80's...

1980.. Freshman team went undefeated...8-0

1981...Varsity went 4-6...After this season Coach Larry Shanks went to UTM and UC hired Randy Barnes..

1982..With mostly a junior laden team we went 8-3 and beat SBEC 8-6 in the Civitan Bowl(We ended up 3rd in our district behind Ripley and Humboldt...Had to win it all back then to go to the playoffs)

1983...Went 9-2 and beat Haywood Co...6-0 in the Civitan Bowl(We ended up second behind Milan)....

Wish we could have played in this watered down playoff system... :D

And to Flashy...You guys didn't Dominate Union City in the state championship in 2000..You held on by the skin of your teeth.... thumb

1999: Played at Riverdale. Freshman team went 9-0, won Tullahoma Lions bowl. I then got moved to varsity where we were 10-1. Lost in the first round to Dickson County 28-21 in overtime.

2000: Transfered to Blackman the first year it opened. Played a J.V. season and had three varsity games. Went 1-2 for varstiy and 4-0 for J.V.

2001: 8-4. Became the first team in Tennessee to make the playoffs in its first full varsity season. Lost in second round to Riverdale 16-27.

2002: 9-4. Region runner-up. Lost in quarterfinals to Riverdale 13-17.

I played for F. J. Reitz High School, located in Evansville, IN.

In the 1977 season, we were City, SIAC Conference, Regional, and Semi-State champions, and played for the 3A state championship. We finished with a 12-1 record in 3A.  That was the highest classification at the time.  That year we played before crowds of 10,000+ at least 6 times. 

The 1978 season saw my team finish with a record of 8-1.  We were Co-City and Co-Conference champions.  We missed the playoffs because we could not find a 10th team to fill out our schedule.  Our only loss was to Evansville Memorial.  They were lead by QB/DB Don Mattingly, who later went on to star with the New York Yankees.  He could of played in a major college conference in football and basketball. 

In my senior year, 1979, we finished with a record of 6-4.  In the first game of my senior year, we were privilaged to play in front of over 14,000 fans.  We were Co-City champions.  We started mostly seniors.  Our 6-4 record was not bad considering as freshmen we were 1-5-1.  During that 1979 season Evansville Reitz became the first football team in the history of Indiana high school football to win 400 games. 

I was very fortunate to play for a high school that is very rich in football tradition.

825377425[/snapback]

Good to see you Rietz fan! I am actually about to marry a Reitz graduate Class of 2000! Did you ever know a guy named Gary Leach?