Gallatin versus Hendersonville

GWAVE1

The 57 yard fg was great. Ingham did a good job even after the penalty pushed him further back. Ferrell did a good job of getting the high snap on the last fg attempt down for a shot at tying the game. A little bit better snap and the game is tied. The defense closed the gaps and played real tough in the 2nd half allowing only only 2 first downs. We gave them the big plays early, but they did little after halftime.

Gallatin's problems continue with the running game ( it was a nonfactor) and questionable play calling. We are down 20-3 and we are trying to run it up the middle???? Just don't understand where the sense of urgency is at. The dropped passes really hurt as well. How many did we have tonight? At least 6, right in the hands. 2 for touchdowns. And why doesn't Malone get the ball thrown more to him? He is only the fastest guy on the field...practically every game.

Oh well....we still have a shot at the playoffs if we win out. Someone said we are young....that is an understatement. The talent that we are building with the youth is as not seen on the Green Wave field. Big things will be expected of this group down the road. But right now it is survival!!

By the way....is our region really as disorganized as it looks?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

Did you say a 57 yard Field goal??? OMG............what composure and what a leg!! Dang who needs an offense with a kicker like that!! Makes me think of Garth Petrilli from Oakland days gone by!!

Gwave....saw a clip on the sports this AM...Shipley has nice and crisp passes.

GWave1, I also question the play calling. It is almost like the coach calls plays to protect a nonexistent lead until we are so far down we can't get ahead. Then, and only then, do we make some adjustments. When the game is over the coaches blame the players. Yes, our guys were flat, but the play calling didn't help. Why should they be at their best when the coaches keep calling the SAME plays and they are getting NOWHERE?? After the game, several coaches declined to speak to the players. It seems to me after a loss is when these young men need to hear from the coaches. They need to understand that they support them win or lose.

Still questioning our talent use as well. Why are we not playing Ryan more under center? If we swap up the quarterbacks, wouldn't it give our opposition a little more challenge to have to think about the differences in the two? I still don't understand. In addition, yes, we have a talented young group of sophomores. You and I have some favorites we talk about. However, they still have two years to play and our coaches are letting some decent playing upperclassmen stand on the sidelines. Is that all in the name of getting the sophomore class ready? What about these guys that have devoted 150% of their heart, 6 days a week, for 3 and 4 years to the Greenwave Football program hoping to play their junior or senior year only to be told a sophomore that has about the same talent as them will be starting in their spot? What a smack in the face!! And to top it off, we are NOT WINNING!!!

By no means, do I mean any disrespect to the starting sophomores. However, I overheard a sophomore that started for the first time Friday night, tell a senior parent (the parent of the child they were taking the spot of), "The coach told me he needed someone to start that had some athletic ability". The parent had just told the sophomore who their son was. I felt really bad for this parent. They said nothing in return except wished the young sophomore good luck. I know this senior and he is a fine young man and played quite well as a freshmen for Gallatin. However, he has never started varsity and is not playing as a senior. I can only hope the sophomore that said this has as much heart as the senior, when he grows up. In my opinion, the seniors that have given their all, went the distance, and still stand on the sidelines watching their teammates have more heart, dedication, and discipline than any person could hope for.

On a positive note: Way to go, Aubrey!!!!!

Okay, go ahead and bash me, I am done venting now!

The 57 yard fg was indeed the longest in Gallatin history. It broke the old record of 51 yards by Lee Kelly in Lassiter's first game against Centennial.

Wavemachine, we share a lot of the same sentiments. Not sure who you are talking about though. I watched this sophmore class since they were eigth graders and to say they are loaded is an understatement. My only hope is that it is not squandered in some fashion. Trust me I have lots of questions for this coaching staff. But one thing for certain, when you call a timeout and the players return to the field and you have 12 go out there....that ain't the players fault. However, trying to get sophmores to react like seasoned veterans is not easy. Talent can take you so far but experience is the trump card.

Losing to McGavock and Hendersonville may be bad but you also have to look at who is playing their best right now too. Answer McGavock and Hendersonville.

Right now we need to refocus on Hunters Lane and try to get a playoff berth.

wavemachine,

No bashing intended, but I don't think the coach blamed the players. As a matter of fact, I heard him tell them after the game that they were a good football team and that he took all the blame for the loss. Not sure why some of the other coaches had no comments, but I did not take that in a negative way.

I too would like to see McFarland take some more snaps. I think he is a stronger runner than Ship. Not sure about the passing game though. Haven't seen enough of Ryan to say. Ship does seem to have a strong arm, we missed several last night that could have been caught.

Anyway, we have to put it behind us. The next two games are must wins. After that, we start over. Let's just hope we can get our confidence back and do what we have to do to get in!

I look forward to seeing Ben Miller for the next two years! He has become a favorite of mine. Always like the defensive guys for some reason.

Good Luck to my Green Wave!!

GWave1, I have also watched the sophomores since middle school. You are correct in stating that group is loaded with talent. I have watched the seniors since middle school as well. They also performed quite well in middle school on. We have lost a few of those guys since their freshmen class. However, just a few of those guys started varsity ball until this year. Maybe that is the reason the coaches are trying to get in as many sophomores as possible for the experience. I am just saying give the seniors their shot. They could let the seniors start and then put the sophomores in. Just seems to me they are overlooking some of those seniors in an effort to give the sophomores experience. I have no problem with a sophomore starting over the senior if they are truly the better player. But, I have watched some of these guys in practice and can't tell much difference athletically. The seniors have been there longer, given the program more time, and probably want it more, because it is their last chance.

Wavelink101, I am a strong supporter of Lassiter as a person. I know when his kids are in turmoil he goes the extra mile to help them, including when the Clark boy was in the hospital. But, I don't have to like the plays he calls. And, since I am not a coach I am able to vent about that on CoachT. As far as the coaches not supporting the players I am referring also to some of the comments that have been made on the Saturday morning coaches show, and I am not necessarily referring to Lassiter's comments. We are all entitled to our own opinion of how things appear. That is why I am thankful I can vent on CoachT. We are going to have to change some things to get those next two wins and earn our playoff berth. In addition, Ben Miller isn't the only sophomore I look forward to seeing for the next couple of years. There are quite a few guys on that team I am keeping my eyes on: Glover, Fisher, Manning, Harper, Jones, Bell etc. Lots of these players have a real chance at going further with their football careers.

The coach's do have a tough job. This year is especially tough with such a small senior class. I guess I am just not sold on this offensive scheme that we are running. I think we have the personel to run more smashmouth. But right now we run this finesse style and it looks very bad at times. The last few ballgames we have done well in the 4th quarter when we throw alot, I wish we would try that a whole lot earlier. It would open up the run game more and stretch the defense. Not only that but we need one coach devoted to nothing but clock management.

The coach's do have a tough job.  This year is especially tough with such a small senior class.  I guess I am just not sold on this offensive scheme that we are running.  I think we have the personel to run more smashmouth.  But right now we run this finesse style and it looks very bad at times.  The last few ballgames we have done well in the 4th quarter when we throw alot, I wish we would try that a whole lot earlier.  It would open up the run game more and stretch the defense.  Not only that but we need one coach devoted to nothing but clock management.

825386118[/snapback]

I agree!! thumb

Gwave1 and wavemachine - I agree with you both. Somehow it seems that Gallatin and Beech are struggling with some of the very same issues you have mentioned as well as I. Beech has a small class of seniors. Hendersonville has 20 seniors. I don't care what other coaches say, but replacing a senior with a sophomore with the same level of athletic ability slowing eats at the morale of a team. :D