Bearden

bdog3741

With all due respect, we spend about 9-10 months out of the year doing something football involved.  Many players, such as I, take an initiative and work out by themselves or with each other following the season.  Not to mention the guys that play winter and spring sports.  I used to come at 6:45 in the morning to lift three days a week and then stay after 2 hours for a hellish track practice sore and beaten.  The best thing that can possibly happen after this season is a break.  We have had a long stretch and I know a lot of us are ready for some down time.  But not until this season is over.  We have two games left to play.

Guys, as I was walking of the field I left everything on last night, many thoughts came to my mind last night.  But this one stuck in my head:  its just a game. It means more to me than that so often, but it really is just a game.  But with all the time we as players have put into it, it means so much more, and that is what is so frustrating about this season.  I found myself for the first time last night with no explanation for what happened.  That alone speaks for how I feel about it. 

One thing we can do is take the team across the field from us as an example.  For 20 games, they felt like we did last night.  But I know the feeling they had last night was 100 times better.  Things got better for them last night and they will for us.  Keep on keeping on.

825384651[/snapback]

You are a well spoken kid, and like i said earlier in the post you show a lot of class and heart. I also agree that you guys need a break after the season. But the previous poster had a good point. Many teams around here not only lift weights like you guys do in the off season, but continue to lift 3-4 days a week during the season. That may be a small thing but when those teams do that and are starting to max out in a few weeks they are at their prime strength where as you guys, who for the majority, have not lifted a weight since before camp are at your weakest.

That along with several small things that go on during the week have lead to what the previous poster said. "lack of disipline" As a player when you give all you can on the field nothing else can be asked of you on friday night. As a coaching staff when you dont prepare the players on monday - thursday you are not giving them a chance to be sucessfull on friday, no matter how hard they play. Letting players just go through the motions is not preparing them. there is a quote "practice makes perfect." however that is not correc t. " prerfect practice makes perfect" there is an exrteme lack of working towards perfection from this staff and to much of going through the motions.

Also when coaches tell players one thing and then dont do what they say they will do it hurts the moral of the team. I know you BHS are a starter but their are about 50 other kids on this team who are not starters. Many of these kids have been told different things this year, about playing time or what have you, which for what ever reason have not been done. The 15-18 of you who get all of the playing time (nothing against you) are only as good as the guys backing you up. If those guys dont get any reps in practice or just going throught the motion reps can they make you better on scout team? Also if their moral stinks because of broken promises believe it or not but that will spread to the rest of the team.

Also when you have coaches who go against TSSAA rules on something simple as the 6 quarter rule. (a player can only play in 6 quarters a week Freshman games through Varsity) you have to wonder about the integritiy of everything else in the program.

Their are many solid players and players with high character on this team who leave everything on the field every game. It is for this reason that us parents want better for you guys. For us that stand on the hill everyday we realize that you guys are not getting the what you deserve. For these reasons Someone has to question what is going on here.

Edited by bdog3741

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, no disrespect intended, but the last time a topic like this was started about Bearden, it got locked up faster than you can say Bulldog.  Is there a moderator that doesn't want folks talking about the Bearden situation or what????????????

825384173[/snapback]

Your right possum, last time Wess Vols cut us off. therefore this time everyone try not to Degrade anyone by name and maybe this post will atleast let some parents vent their thoughts and views. We sure cant do it with the "people close to the program" for fear of our sons not getting on the field again.

With all due respect, we spend about 9-10 months out of the year doing something football involved.  Many players, such as I, take an initiative and work out by themselves or with each other following the season.  Not to mention the guys that play winter and spring sports.  I used to come at 6:45 in the morning to lift three days a week and then stay after 2 hours for a hellish track practice sore and beaten.  The best thing that can possibly happen after this season is a break.  We have had a long stretch and I know a lot of us are ready for some down time.  But not until this season is over.  We have two games left to play

825384651[/snapback]

I think you know who you are and you are well spoken and have alot of class. My son is all ready lifting extremely hard and will contine to do so. I just dont want him to get hurt again because someone else isnt prepared. Also some of the most successful people in the world will tell you to become successful do what we do. That is all i was trying to say. Like I said there is alot of new tools use them . Ill be glad to supervise

volunteers that want to work out before January. Good luck with the rest of the season

This is my take on the Bearden situation.  First of all they have lots of tallent but no disapline.  Throwing helmets, fighting on the sidelines and disrespecting coaches, and players not paying attention to drills during practise and choosing not to participate is very uncalled for.  Secondly  they dont hit full speed in practise.  Ive stood on the hill for two years  and I have not seen a full speed tackling or blocking drills  and it shows on Friday nights.  Some on this topic wrote Bearden needs to look at what other Schools and Coaches are doing .  So on that note  you got to get  players in the weight room after the season and not January like Maynard wants to, you cant build strength or bulk by just looking at the weights.  The boosters have done a fantastic job and getting Maynard tools to build on a struggling program but he fails to use them correctly.

825384422[/snapback]

Bulldg75 I agree with you BHS has plenty of talent but they are not coached very well at all.

Guys, I also just wanted to add this: at this rate, there has been a number of conversations among players on who's sticking around and who's not. I know that there are not many quitters on this team, but many of us asked each other, why stick around when we no longer enjoy it? As I mentioned earlier, it is only a game. If your heart is not in it, should you continue to play with blind faith? What is your guys take on this? Many of us feel that we have put too much time onto this program to walk away, but also are sick of the blind faith that is expected of us. To this point, "mutiny" has never really crossed our minds, but the talk of the locker room the past two weeks is "if this happens, then this will happen," and ,"if so and so is still here, i'm not going to be here." (fill in the blanks) We have so many competitors on this team and the fact that we play on a losing team is reason enough for leaving, then add to that alot of the crap we have been fed this year from all different directions and you get bad results. We expect more out of ourselves. This truly is a delicate situation and if any of you would like to talk to me personally about this, let me know. I, for one, will be weighing my options heavily this offseason.

Guys, I also just wanted to add this:  at this rate, there has been a number of conversations among players on who's sticking around and who's not.  I know that there are not many quitters on this team, but many of us asked each other, why stick around when we no longer enjoy it?  As I mentioned earlier, it is only a game.  If your heart is not in it, should you continue to play with blind faith?  What is your guys take on this?  Many of us feel that we have put too much time onto this program to walk away, but also are sick of the blind faith that is expected of us.  To this point, "mutiny" has never really crossed our minds, but the talk of the locker room the past two weeks is "if this happens, then this will happen,"  and ,"if so and so is still here, i'm not going to be here." (fill in the blanks) We have so many competitors on this team and the fact that we play on a losing team is reason enough for leaving, then add to that alot of the crap we have been fed this year from all different directions and you get bad results.  We expect more out of ourselves.  This truly is a delicate situation and if any of you would like to talk to me personally about this, let me know.  I, for one, will be weighing my options heavily this offseason.

825385066[/snapback]

just remember this winners never quit but quitters never get a chance to win. Look at what happened to Clinton a once proud team with a awesome tradition. They had a mass mutiny afew years back and they have been paying for it ever since. Look i tell my son always do your best and go out and whip someone. I really dont care right now for wins or losses just go old school and whip somebody. All you guys keep your heads up play hard kick some *** and have fun.

Edited by bulldg75

Guys, I also just wanted to add this:  at this rate, there has been a number of conversations among players on who's sticking around and who's not.  I know that there are not many quitters on this team, but many of us asked each other, why stick around when we no longer enjoy it?  As I mentioned earlier, it is only a game.  If your heart is not in it, should you continue to play with blind faith?  What is your guys take on this?  Many of us feel that we have put too much time onto this program to walk away, but also are sick of the blind faith that is expected of us.  To this point, "mutiny" has never really crossed our minds, but the talk of the locker room the past two weeks is "if this happens, then this will happen,"  and ,"if so and so is still here, i'm not going to be here." (fill in the blanks) We have so many competitors on this team and the fact that we play on a losing team is reason enough for leaving, then add to that alot of the crap we have been fed this year from all different directions and you get bad results.  We expect more out of ourselves.  This truly is a delicate situation and if any of you would like to talk to me personally about this, let me know.  I, for one, will be weighing my options heavily this offseason.

825385066[/snapback]

I have to agree with bulldg75, Quitting is one thing that will haunt you the rest of your life. there are otherways to handle things. I know that the spirit is down among the players. I hear it everyday when i pick up my son. His #1 question to me almost everyday is " why should i stick around when i wont play untill im a senior and maybe then only on jv?" My response is this.

Football is much like life. There are ups and downs. Sometimes no matter how hard you try you cant win. weather its cause someone is setting you up to fail or your just out tallented. Quitting never solved anything in life. In fact it is hard to do the first time but each time afterward it comes a little easier. I played on a team in highschool that won a total of 7 games in 4 years. I know its not easy and you hear crap from every direction. IT TAKES MORE CHARACTER TO STAY AND PERSERVERE and it will be something that you can build on the rest of your life.

You guys have one job to do and that is to prepare the best that you can and play your hardest. Be a true leader like I think you are and try to rally the troops. But dont also be selfcentered. There are about 60+ other guys that are going to follow your lead.

I also encourage you to encourage your younger players. Those are the guys that are going to help you next year. At this point those are the ones who you are going to lose in the off season. Many of these kids have busted their hump just as hard as you have this season maybe not in a game but at practice and camp. Many of them have never seen the field in a varsity game this year despite many opportunities to have done so. Many of these same kids havent played more than 10 or 20 plays on the JV games. Some of these kids are going to be the studs on the team in 2 years or even next year. yet many of these are fixin to leave and many wont be missed. Some of you older guys need to remember to encourage them. They dont get it anywhere else afterall..

You keep your head up and tell the rest of the guys to do the same. Let the Parents worry about what will happen next year and about any changes to be made. Trust me many of us are just as unhappy as you are with what is going on.

I just wanted to add this about the off season work out program. Last year they had scheduled 18 days before spring practise. Five of those days were cancelled because of hollidays or inservice and were not made up. it takes about a week of hard lifting to get over soreness os that dosent leave you much time to build strength. My son is a sophmore and his bench is around 290 and wants to bench 400 before he graduates with this program he'll never make it so he goes across the street to workout on his own . Let me tell you i see only a few kids over there . That is a shame because there is a three hundred pound junior that should bebenching over 400 lbs and there is several of the Freshmen that should be benching over 250 right now. I look at Farragut they have 16 kids benching over three and squating over 500 and they lift year around . Anderson Co. Same thing, Karns does it infact most people would say if you wait that long your way behind schedule. Coach Maynard has a brand new weight room use it. Like i said before I'll help supervise voluteers who want to workout . In fact i Have a power cage at home if somebody wants to workout, or I could meet them across the street to help them. I think I know a little about lifting, having a shophmore kid doing what he is doing .

Edited by bulldg75

Just so parents know, the TSSAA rule is 6 quarters in 1 night, not a week. Many teams play a JV and Freshman game on the same night. Many freshmen end up playing JV as well. This rule was put in for that. Actually it is not even a rule. It is an insurance liability. If a player gets hurt after playing in a 7th quarter in 1 night, then the insurance is not void.

BHSFOOTBALL--GOOD LUCK in all that you do.

Just so parents know, the TSSAA rule is 6 quarters in 1 night, not a week.  Many teams play a JV and Freshman game on the same night.  Many freshmen end up playing JV as well.  This rule was put in for that.  Actually it is not even a rule.  It is an insurance liability.  If a player gets hurt after playing in a 7th quarter in 1 night, then the insurance is not void.

BHSFOOTBALL--GOOD LUCK in all that you do.

825388983[/snapback]

thanks for the clarification. I was explained the rule wrong.