Wing T ?

MidTennFan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wing-t team has never won the state championship at the highest level of classification in Tenneessee.  (NO NOT CLEVELAND EITHER THAT WAS 4-A)

Until it happens, that is fact.

825386121[/snapback]

But I would put that cleveland team up against any in the state. They had more talent on the bench than most had starting.

If the teams runs it right, it can be devasting to a defense. I know when we played teams that ran the wing-t i had no clue where the ball was. the defense has to make sure they stay put on their assignments or they will have a long night. the right defense can shut down the wing-t but that can be said about any offense. Hillsboro won a state championship running the wing t.

we ran a wingt when i played and no your not going to score 35 points a game especially against good teams.(21 points should be enough to win any game) but the wingt isnt an offense for a highly talented football team. the wingt is kinda the offense for teams without a lot of talent and kids that just play hard. which is why a lot of teams around here run it.yes you need a good defense to run the wingt but hello you need a good defense to run any offense. if your defense never stops the other team i dont care if you put 15 people on offense your not going to win.

obviously the more talent a team has the more effective they will run the wingt such as hillsboro. and coaching is the other part of the wingt like any offense but with the wingt those little things make the offense click.if you run an I all you do is hand it off and bull your way up field. in a wingt you run lots of reverse, jet, and some other plays that involve a lot timing.that have lots of guards pulling and tackles getting down field.

the best idea is dont rely completely on the wingt unless you have great athletes. my senior year we put in a shotgun formation and it gave other teams fits.we ran basically the same runing plays out of it just seeing us in shotgun threw them off more than anything.and we could throw the ball to. we had 2 good receivers and and some running backs that we could throw to as well.

two keys to running the wingt:have two studs at guard and have running backs that can see the hole before it open up.

825385889[/snapback]

Some very good observations here. A lot of people don't realize the wing-T can be very versatile. You do need some other weapons in the arsenal. You can run a lot of different plays out of the wing-T formation. Just because you're lined up in a traditional wing-T formation doesn't mean you can't run "non wing-T" plays out of it--option, etc.