most feared wrestler

wrestlingcoach

I have to go with Quinn Gibson. I feared him a lot because he always looked so calm, he went through his moves never freaking out just hitting moves and finishing matches. Also I didn't like wrestling Nathan Jones from Cleveland and John Edmonds from Science Hill, the were incredible. Nathan just put the hammer on you and hurt you till you just said no more, and Edmonds would just come at you with an all out assault of moves that left you breathless. I hated wrestling them three!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How bout Jamie Castleman. He would try to rip your shoulder off if he got his legs in. Zac Dailey was the same way his cradle and his legs were feared all over the state.

Oh yeah, Phillip and Patrick Simpson would rip your head off with a wrist and half. Raymond Dunning would choke you out with a cradle. And least I forget Matt Keller and his leg riding abilities.

Edited by thecia

I'll admit Castleman was a little nuts. You never knew what you were going to get. He was on the edge. Patrick and Phillip were very polite about whipping your butt. You figure you don't have a chance against them, but they probably weren't going to do you permanent harm. You never really got that from Bobby Gorham (Ryan). He wasn't the best wrestler in the state (close) but you never felt safe until well after the match, and then you didn't go drinking with him afterward.

The question then is. Is it more scary to step on to the mat knowing that you are gonna get your butt kicked by a nice guy or a nut job. Id rather duke it out with a guy thats nuts. At least then you get to walk out of the gym humbled but with your sanity. The nut can keep his pride hes still nuts.

Anybody old enough to remember back around '77 when MBA had a big guy named "Gault"?  I have no idea what his last name was.  His mother, from whom he apparently got his stature, would sit near the edge of the mat and, with shoes in hand, pounding the gym floor as she bellowed in a deep voice, "Goooo Gault!"  Gault was an ominous sight by himself, but the two of them were completely intimidating.  After I graduated from high school, Gault and his mom were some of the things I missed most about high school wrestling.  By the way, if Gault is still out there and happens to read this, “I mean no disrespect there Big Fella”.

If I were a wrestler these days, Kelley Felix would get my vote as scariest wrestler.  I've enjoyed seeing him wrestle for many years.  I won't say he tries to injure his opponents on the mat, but I don't think he's too broken up if he causes a little pain now and then.

825393474[/snapback]

I'm still out there nut haven't been around wrestling scene. I do miss the glory days.A friend sent me this posting. I wasn't aware the site existed. Thanks for remembering me. Galt

I'm still out there nut haven't been around wrestling scene. I do miss the glory days.A friend sent me this posting. I wasn't aware the site existed. Thanks for remembering me. Galt

825404220[/snapback]

Galt, I mean, MR. BAKER.

I only wrestled at Franklin my senior year, 1977. I was at 155# (that was 50# aqo). I don't remember MBA's 155# wrestler that year, but I certainly rember you (and your mom). As I indicated earlier, I have fond memories of those matches, but then again, I didn't have to wrestle you!

Best of luck,

Michael Geasley

P.S. To this day, if I were to say to my parents, "Gooo Galt", they would know exactly what I was talking about.

early to mid 80's

John Noback and Jimmy Lynch from McCallie

Hank Howard and Howard Langford, Cleveland

Nathan Caywood, Bradley

early 90's

Johnson brothers from Chatt. Central

Castleman (sp?) from Nashville (maybe Clarksville)

Plenty of others just drawing a blank and felt for sure that Noback and Lynch belonged in this group.

what about the marable familiy? they are some pretty nasty wrestlers. tom marable is still a nasty wrestler in his fat geriatric state.

825405591[/snapback]

LOL, I have to give it to you on Tom, he is/was just a mean wrestler with the attitude that nobody would stop him. Having coached against both of the Marable boys I would say that I would have feared Michael just because of his intimidating size but Nick doesn't scare you until you are on the mat with him and you realize just how quick and fluid he is.

KKW....do you remember Maurice Lamar!!! That kid was scary....not to mention I hated him at the time!

Any old guys remember Kevin Baltz! He was a monster! Anyone in the Springfield area remember Mike Brooks....I think all 3 of these guys are some of the best wrestlers that never won state. Another one is Quantel Langford.