Best match ever

takedown42

I'm going back a few years here, but some of the Pat Murphy (Hixson) vs. Johnny Bradford (Chattanooga Central) were some of the best matches I can remember.

825398780[/snapback]

How can us old timers forget the historical grudge match between Ronnie Voss and Marc Lyle @ 165? I still wonder how my brother, another tough Hixson wrestler a couple of years later, would have matched up?

soms

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best match that I have ever seen will bring back some bad memories for others. Jordan Leen's first of four state championships was in 2001 at Father Ryan, as the D II state championships were held there in the early years of the split. In the finals Leen came from a 9-0 defecit to Jack Silberman late in the third period to win. Leen reversed and tilted to go to 9-5. With less than 30 seconds remaining Leen turned Silberman again, this time to a pin. I have never before or since quite experienced noise and energy in a room like on that day.

Man Coach Bray!!! You brought back some memories!

I have a few more...

Charles McTorry vs. Carlos Thompson

What about the Josh West/Shannon Sayne 96 finals match?

Anyone remember the '97 state semifinals when Will Bartholomew wrestled Charles Mitchell??? Whoa what a match featuring big guys!

Pennington vs Crosby in the 03 State final!

Overall i have to say, the most memorable match I have ever seen was the 2002 Division I NCAA Championship final at 184 when my friend Josh Lambrecht looked all but certain to win the championship going up 13-2 in the final minute when Rob Rohn from Lehigh hit him with a cement mixer and pinned him. I don't think I, Josh, or Rohn will ever forget that one!!

Edited by Hamm

my vote seeing as i have only 1 year of state tourney matches under my belt that the first match where Daniel Crosby won his 1st State Championship after hitting a nice stand up to high-c while the other guy was adjusting his headgear, thought that was a good one and that move decided the match

also, i agree with Tyler22 on the Creagan/Houston match even tho it was overshadowed by wat happened off the mat after the match

My vote goes to the 2001 215lb finals match between Erik Watkins of Farragut and Keyonsay Moore of Cleveland. Moore is leading by one in the third. He has Watkins on his side and is basically sitting on him for the last 10 seconds. Watkins was beat. The crowd counts down the time, 8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1. With about 1 to 1.5 seconds to go Moorse jumps off of Watkins and throws his arms in the air in celebration. Watkins faces him and the ref awards 1 escape. The crowd goes wild. Coach Miller is in disbelief. The battle through a two minute overtime period with no score. Watkins wins the flip and chooses down. Watkins escapes and wins in the OT tiebreaker.

My vote goes to the 2001 215lb finals match between Erik Watkins of Farragut and Keyonsay Moore of Cleveland.  Moore is leading by one in the third.  He has Watkins on his side and is basically sitting on him for the last 10 seconds.  Watkins was beat.  The crowd counts down the time, 8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.  With about 1 to 1.5 seconds to go Moorse jumps off of Watkins and throws his arms in the air in celebration.  Watkins faces him and the ref awards 1 escape.  The crowd goes wild.  Coach Miller is in disbelief.  The battle through a two minute overtime period with no score.  Watkins wins the flip and chooses down.  Watkins escapes and wins in the OT tiebreaker.

825402365[/snapback]

LOL, that is just crazy... I guess that is what happens when you don't think about what you are doing. That had to be a site, too bad DII was still over at Ryan back then so I missed that one.

Yes, it was a classical blooper. But I wouldn't say that he DESERVED to lose state. Actually, he was about due. He had been tearing up the 215 weight class for 2-3 years, but someone always upset/knocked him off at state. This was finally his chance to get that crown and he blundered. I felt bad for him once the shock wore off.

The match I remember the most was a match between App. State and Maryville

College in the early 80ties. It was between a guy named Valentine from Maryville

and a guy i don't remember from App. State. Early in the first period, one of them

made a hard shot and hit his eyebrow on the kneecap of the other one. It opened

a gash on the forehead of the offensive wrestler. This was before bloodtime. The

coach came out and taped his head so that he looked like a mummy. They started wrestling again and the othe other wrestler made a hard shot and almost

the same thing happened to him. His coach came out and taped him so that he

looked like a mummy. They wrestled a little longer and the guy that had the first cut started bleeding profusely from his nose. I stopped the match and looked at the wrestler, his nose over underneath his eye. I told him that the match was

over because he had a broken nose. He started grabbing at his nose and trying

to pull it over to aleign it properly. I told him that the match was over and he started to act like he wanted to fight me. The wrestlers were 190 pounders and

I wasn't sure that I could whip him. I got his coach to intervene and get control

of his wrestler. This may not have been the best match that I ever saw or officiated, but it was certainly the bloodiest.