rocky top

BHSbruins08

I find it incredibly interesting that anyone would use a song as a "fight song" that talks about a girl as "half bear the other half cat", two strangers climbing rocky top to find moonshine, and that life in the city is like putting a dog in a pen.

A good song, yes.  Inspiring a football team to beat the crud out of another team, nah, I think people would rather go get drunk listening to it - regardless of winning or losing.

825396419[/snapback]

Its DUCK in a pen i do believe

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew either Ainge or Schaeffer one would transfer after this season. You can never keep two all-american qb's and expect them both to stay. Especially true freshmen. I just figured Ainge would be the one to go, but Fulmer finally came to his senses and started him a few times and got him comfortable taking the snaps, and now he's formed into a very collected qb. I wonder where Schaeffer will go though?

825397309[/snapback]

I just hope that Schaeffer doesn't go somewhere like UGA since Greene will be leaving......

Here is the Top 25 college fight songs as ranked by: Bill Studwell, author of "College Fight Songs: An Annotated Anthology," an Ohio State University Professor.

1. "Notre Dame Victory March," University of Notre Dame.

2. "The Victors," University of Michigan.

3. "On Wisconsin," University of Wisconsin.

4. "Down the Field," Yale University.

5. "Anchors Aweigh," U.S. Naval Academy.

6. "Stein Song," University of Maine.

7. "Fight on USC," University of Southern California.

8. "Ramblin' Wreck From Georgia Tech," Georgia Institute of Technology.

9. "The Eyes of Texas," University of Texas.

10. "Across the Field," Ohio State University

11. "Minnesota Rouser," University of Minnesota

12. "Indiana, Our Indiana," Indiana University

13. "Illinois Loyalty," University of Illinois

14. "Washington & Lee Swing," Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.

15. "Stand Up and Cheer," University of Kansas.

16. "Boomer Sooner," University of Oklahoma.

17. "Glory, Glory to Old Georgia," University of Georgia.

18. "The U.S. Air Force Song," U.S. Air Force Academy

19. "Semper Paratus," U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

20. "Clemson Fight Song," Clemson University.

21. "Down the Field," University of Tennessee (same as Yale)

22. "On Brave Old Army Team," United States Military Academy

23. "Huskie Fight Song," Northern Illinois University.

24. "Far Above Cayuga's Waters," Cornell University

25. "Our Director March," Harvard and Rice universities

** As you may notice, Rocky Top is not even on the list, and UTK's other fight song is just stolen from Yale! haha (Gotta love that Ramblin' Wreck is in the Top 10!!)

I just hope that Schaeffer doesn't go somewhere like UGA since Greene will be leaving......

825398185[/snapback]

That would be stupid of him if he did. Because he has to sit out a year and they have Shockley, eventhough he is a junior. I would think if anywhere he would go to Auburn and sit Campbell's Sr. year and take the starting position as a junior. I think Schaeff fit in well somewhere like Notre Dame though, he plays their style of football.

not anymore... ND has changed their style to more of a west coast offense... UGA is a perfect fit! he transfers now... Shockley plays while he sits... shockly leaves and he Starts as soon as he is allowed by the NCAA!(and that year he can red shirt so he doesnt use up a year... be a soph when he can start!

1st and foremost, repsect the song if you respect the Univaersity of Tennessee. If you do not respect UT, your opnion is of little value anyway.

That said, Rocky Top should only be the "fight song" of UT. It's nice when high schools play it during the game. It shouldn't be a fight song for a high school though.

Example: I don't think there's a "hill" at Powell high school, or an engineering school or a law school for that matter. They and everyone else who uses it need their own fight song.

That said, GO POWELL, beat Central!! thumb

I think that high schools all together should drop "Rocky Top" from there productions or minds(this coming from a vandy fan :D ). What I think would be neat for the future is if every high school created its own personal fight song. Of course I know it will never happen, but I think it should at least be worth a shot.

Haha .... People can respect a football program, and its Fight Song without respecting the university, and Vice Versa. I am not a fan of UT's song nor their football program, but I can respect the school itself. They have a heck of a football program, but I if I hadn't had such a great High School experience(especially Friday Nights) I would hate that song as much as I did when I first moved to Tennessee! Also I went to Ooltewah, and I will say that they do a MUCH better job of playing Rocky Top than any other band I have heard in Tennessee.

Guest Oakland
Here is the Top 25 college fight songs as ranked by: Bill Studwell, author of "College Fight Songs: An Annotated Anthology,"  an Ohio State University Professor.

1. "Notre Dame Victory March," University of Notre Dame.

2. "The Victors," University of Michigan.

3. "On Wisconsin," University of Wisconsin.

4. "Down the Field," Yale University.

5. "Anchors Aweigh," U.S. Naval Academy.

6. "Stein Song," University of Maine.

7. "Fight on USC," University of Southern California.

8. "Ramblin' Wreck From Georgia Tech," Georgia Institute of Technology.

9. "The Eyes of Texas," University of Texas.

10. "Across the Field," Ohio State University

11. "Minnesota Rouser," University of Minnesota

12. "Indiana, Our Indiana," Indiana University

13. "Illinois Loyalty," University of Illinois

14. "Washington & Lee Swing," Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.

15. "Stand Up and Cheer," University of Kansas.

16. "Boomer Sooner," University of Oklahoma.

17. "Glory, Glory to Old Georgia," University of Georgia.

18. "The U.S. Air Force Song," U.S. Air Force Academy

19. "Semper Paratus," U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

20. "Clemson Fight Song," Clemson University.

21. "Down the Field," University of Tennessee (same as Yale)

22. "On Brave Old Army Team," United States Military Academy

23. "Huskie Fight Song," Northern Illinois University.

24. "Far Above Cayuga's Waters," Cornell University

25. "Our Director March," Harvard and Rice universities

** As you may notice, Rocky Top is not even on the list, and UTK's other fight song is just stolen from Yale! haha (Gotta love that Ramblin' Wreck is in the Top 10!!)

825398187[/snapback]

go figure, the fella from osu keeps the victors from being in its true spot, #1