USA Today Super 25

wouldntyoulike2know

I have a friend who now lives in Tennessee who has a nephew who plays football in Ohio, and he goes to watch him every now and then and keeps up with High School football down there somewhat.

He pretty much told me the 5-5 Ohio teams would give Riverdale a fight.

Riverdale really doesn't deserve national respect. The best team they have played is Lebanon, that isn't saying much at all.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Central[/url'> Dogg' date='Oct 23 2004 - 02:31 PM']I have a friend who now lives in Tennessee who has a nephew who plays football in Ohio, and he goes to watch him every now and then and keeps up with High School football down there somewhat.

He pretty much told me the 5-5 Ohio teams would give Riverdale a fight.

Riverdale really doesn't deserve national respect.  The best team they have played is Lebanon, that isn't saying much at all.

Ok well think of it this way...they dont play the toughest schedule but they are beating those teams the way they should...LIKE DOGS!!! this is the way i see it...i really dont see ANYBODY playin Riverdale within 2 TD's...

yea i agree...those 2 teams looked like small college teams!! but i still dont see ow Riverdale isnt in the top 25...i mean i just dont see 25 or more teams in the country better than them...

825396562[/snapback]

Alright this is just from my knowledge. I use to live in Texas and both my parents graduated from high school in the dallas area. Texas is divided into 16 regions. In both 5A and 4A, each region sends 3 teams. As an example, in 5A 2 teams go the 5A playoffs and the largest school of the top 3 schools from each region are placed in the Super 5A playoffs which is basically like 6A. So just from a numbers stand point 16 teams should be better than Riverdale just b/c of the numbers plus you have to add in the top 4 teams in regular 5A so that makes 21 just from the state of Texas.

If any of you have seen Friday Night Lights and have seen the amount of money goes into the football programs in Texas you would understand why its a religion down there. Everyone talks about how football is life in tennessee, but if you are ever down in texas on a friday night you should go to the high school game near you because it's almost like going and seeing a junior or d3 college play football. Those kids play football from about the age of 4 until they can't or won't play anymore. Businesses really do shut down on friday nights to go watch the high school kids play a simple game.

Riverdale might be the real deal, but I seriously doubt that the people that do the USAToday Top 25 would miss Riverdale if they were good enough to be in the top 25 in the nation. If TN teams have been in the poll before, then they aren't just looking at certain states, they are taking a look at TN and just don't see the talent that is being produced in other parts of the nation. Just because one team last year isn't as good as your team this year, means that other teams across the nation have just improved that much.

Beating Wilson Central, while key to Riverdale's region, does not impress national voters.  Fair or not, Riverdale has decided not to play the kind of schedule that gets national attention.  Not a swipe at them, just a fact.

825396572[/snapback]

So...what you are saying is that if Riverdale played MBA or BA...they would be ranked. What a bogus statement. Schedule has nothing to do with it.

They are playing the teams they always have.

I think the main reason they are not ranked is because MBA was last year. They saw that MBA got pounded by Trinity in the 1st game. That set the tone for other TN teams. The pollsters looked at that...and said TN football must be down.

Usually one TN teams is ranked. I think if Riverdale keeps the pace they have now...they will be ranked by the end of the season.

Can't prove it, but D1 scholorship signees from those states vastly outnumber TN. Look at the rosters of Fla. St., Miami, Florida (all perennial Top 10 teams) and compare the number of home state signees to the number of Tn players playing at UT. Look at Okla., Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Okla. St., Texas A&M and see how many Texas players on on those teams. Look at Cal, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St. and schools all over the country and see how many Calif. players are on those teams.. How many TN HS players sign with big schools outside of TN each year compared with Cali. and Texas players signing with out of state schools.

And by the way the top 3 states in sending players to the NFL are Texas, Calif. and Florida.

I can't prove it, but the facts are hard to argue with.

825396557[/snapback]

Texas, California, and Florida vastly outnumber TN in population too. That's one reason you have so many players out of those states.

Dogg are you jealous of Riverdale or something? You keep talking about a weak schedule, but they play in the largest classification in the state. They can't help what the other teams are like in their region. As for non-region games, their schedule does seem weak THIS year, but Lincoln and Dickson County are normally very good ball teams. CPA is a small private, but they are always pretty good. Yes, I would like to see Riverdale play some schools like a Trinity or South Lake Carroll but they have to play 7 region games and I couldn't imagine taking a Lincoln County off the schedule. I wasn't overly impressed with Denton or South Lake Carroll and think that Riverdale would most certainly give either of these teams all they wanted. Oh by the way, if you think D1 talent is all you need to win ball games, you might ought to ask the people of Texas. There was a little football movie that come out here lately mabe you've heard about it. The school in the movie (Odessa Permian) is usually one of the top teams in the state and they very rarely have D1 talent.

Dogg are you jealous of Riverdale or something?  You keep talking about a weak schedule, but they play in the largest classification in the state.  They can't help what the other teams are like in their region.  As for non-region games, their schedule does seem weak THIS year, but Lincoln and Dickson County are normally very good ball teams.  CPA is a small private, but they are always pretty good.  Yes, I would like to see Riverdale play some schools like a Trinity or South Lake Carroll but they have to play 7 region games and I couldn't imagine taking a Lincoln County off the schedule.  I wasn't overly impressed with Denton or South Lake Carroll and think that Riverdale would most certainly give either of these teams all they wanted.  Oh by the way, if you think D1 talent is all you need to win ball games, you might ought to ask the people of Texas.  There was a little football movie that come out here lately mabe you've heard about it.  The school in the movie (Odessa Permian) is usually one of the top teams in the state and they very rarely have D1 talent.

825397519[/snapback]

I think the Memphis area proves that. There is always many DI players from the Memphis area...but they rarely dominate in their classes. Having DI players is just one factor in winning state titles...or having the best team.

Edited by Antwan

wtaylor, i'm a riverdale grad and i played for the warriors from the '99-'02 seasons. i also saw the game on espn and i have to say that i disagree with your statements. the players on this year's riverdale squad have never seen the type of talent of a southlake carroll or a denton-ryan texas 5a team, and i believe that a game between riverdale and any of the top 10 teams from texas, florida, georgia, or california would be over by halftime. as much i hate to say that, i believe it. south panola, the best 5a program in mississippi, would give riverdale and any other team in tn a whipping, just because football in these other states is just so much better at the high school level. i believe that my warriors are #1 in tn, and thats just fine and dandy by me.

There are two REAL arguments about this subject on this thread.

(1.) Riverdale's schedule is not as powerful as it could be.

(2.) Tennessee's teams do not traditionally sign the most D1 players to college.

The rest is hear-say and inuendo. You know what they say about opinions. To do it right, it should be based on team speed, size, weight completion percentages, running yardage, turnovers etc. ....etc. Then that data should go into a formula to take in wins vs. losses and rankings of opponents in their respective state.

This formula should be performed on the top ten teams of every state in the nation to give a decent fair chance of capability. It would be up to the guru's of math to determine the weight of each category much like a BCS formula is performed. To me, it always seems to be more about hype than play.

JMO :P

south panola, the best 5a program in mississippi, would give riverdale and any other team in tn a whipping, just because football in these other states is just so much better at the high school level. 

825397572[/snapback]

I don't buy it.

Last year (2003), South Panola beat Southaven (MS) 48-11; MBA beat Southaven (at Southaven - a 4 hour drive) 45-13. Very similar scores. I know comparative scores should be taken with a grain of salt, but Tennessee's best was head-to-head with Mississippi's best in 2003 (and South Panola likely didn't play a team as fundamentally sound and well-coached as MBA). It doesn't matter if MS had more DI signees last year.

South Panola, while still rolling this year, is not as good as last year. Riverdale-South Panola in 2004 would be a dandy matchup. No whippings by either team in that game.