Elite Eight

Thisisajoke

Some people need to get their dainty, frilly, little panties out of a wad.

First, regarding the name “Super 7”, does anyone know what the word “alliteration” means? It’s a catchy, easy-on-the-lips phrase that, in this instance, helps sum up a league/division and that has much more “identity” to people than “DII-AAA”. Sure, not all of the teams are “Super” – nor are the “Sweet Sixteen” teams in the NCAA basketball tournament when the Valparaisos and Coppin States of the world muck up the brackets. I know the name “Super 7” rubs people wrong – I myself try to avoid using it as much as possible because of the connotation – but given the teams’ overall accomplishments over the years versus DI and other DII schools, in a relative context, it’s more fitting than the “S****y 7”. Bottom line - get over the name issue, folks. The play on the field dictates the quality – not the name or catch phrase.

I welcome the addition of Briarcrest to DII-AAA (how’s that?). It’s nice to get new blood into the league and create new rivalries. Some of us “Marvelous Middle” and “Elite East” Tennesseans will have to get up-to-speed on the intricacies of the existing rivalries between Briarcrest/MUS and Briarcrest/CBHS in “Wacky West” Tennessee. Briarcrest may have won some recently against MUS and CBHS, but I do know that MUS has won over 80% of its all-time games with Briarcrest, and CBHS won at least two in a row prior to 2004. The league (as with all leagues/regions) is about the long haul, not the here-and-now. I wish nothing but the best for Briarcrest in the sense of fair competition and helping carrying the banner for DII-AAA, but I would encourage Briarcrest fans to pick your battles when it comes to trash talk with others.

By the way, Wes – CBHS beat Melrose last year (2003).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people need to get their dainty, frilly, little panties out of a wad.

First, regarding the name “Super 7”, does anyone know what the word “alliteration” means?  It’s a catchy, easy-on-the-lips phrase that, in this instance, helps sum up a league/division and that has much more “identity” to people than “DII-AAA”.  Sure, not all of the teams are “Super” – nor are the “Sweet Sixteen” teams in the NCAA basketball tournament when the Valparaisos and Coppin States of the world muck up the brackets.  I know the name “Super 7” rubs people wrong – I myself try to avoid using it as much as possible because of the connotation – but given the teams’ overall accomplishments over the years versus DI and other DII schools, in a relative context, it’s more fitting than the “S****y 7”.  Bottom line - get over the name issue, folks.  The play on the field dictates the quality – not the name or catch phrase.

I welcome the addition of Briarcrest to DII-AAA (how’s that?).  It’s nice to get new blood into the league and create new rivalries.  Some of us “Marvelous Middle” and “Elite East” Tennesseans will have to get up-to-speed on the intricacies of the existing rivalries between Briarcrest/MUS and Briarcrest/CBHS in “Wacky West” Tennessee.  Briarcrest may have won some recently against MUS and CBHS, but I do know that MUS has won over 80% of its all-time games with Briarcrest, and CBHS won at least two in a row prior to 2004.  The league (as with all leagues/regions) is about the long haul, not the here-and-now.  I wish nothing but the best for Briarcrest in the sense of fair competition and helping carrying the banner for DII-AAA, but I would encourage Briarcrest fans to pick your battles when it comes to trash talk with others.

By the way, Wes – CBHS beat Melrose last year (2003).

825403236[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. Let's get BGA and Ensworth in, and we'll really have something!! (...like less travel)

Briarcrest will do just fine, IMHO. They have a very good all-around athletic program, boys and girls.

I am glad to see BCS step up the plate and play DII AAA, people are always complaining about how easy it is for us to make it to state because there are so few teams, we welcome anybody who wants to step up the challenge, I wish BGA, Knox Catholic, ECS, etc. would follow Briarcrest's lead.

825403512[/snapback]

Well, their not exactly "stepping up" voluntarily. They will be in AAA due to enrollment.

Pride214, I welcome Briarcrest to AAA, but why must you slander Father Ryan. Sure we have had a rough couple of years, but out program is on the rise and we have a rich winning tradition. Our program has gone through a lot the past 4 years. Father Ryan deserves a spot as much as anyone. Also, we have not had St. Benedict on our schedule the past two years, and even though we don't have the best size or talent, we have challenged ourselves with a very tough schedule. We do not back down. Hopefully games agaisnt Briarcrest will be in the near future.

Pride214, I welcome Briarcrest to AAA, but why must you slander Father Ryan.  Sure we have had a rough couple of years, but out program is on the rise and we have a rich winning tradition.  Our program has gone through a lot the past 4 years.  Father Ryan deserves a spot as much as anyone.  Also, we have not had St. Benedict on our schedule the past two years, and even though we don't have the best size or talent, we have challenged ourselves with a very tough schedule.  We do not back down.  Hopefully games agaisnt Briarcrest will be in the near future.

825404027[/snapback]

excellent post. every team has ups and downs. i'd love to see father ryan's program continue to grow over the next few years and have that MBA/Ryan rivalry be as fierce as ever.

JP2 applied to be in D2 AAA this year but were given the red light. I guess the enrollment numbers aren't there yet (but we have more numbers than BA). It's just as well because we're scheduling games with Ryan, BA and hopefully MBA next year as well as the teams in our division. But if you don't have teams aspire to be in the bigger classifications and compete with better teams then they won't get any better. And those of you already in D2 AAA who are complaining should be welcoming more competition instead of acting like snobs. Quit crying "Sycophant 7s"; change is good!!!

Hey ROLLREDROLL did I use alliteration correctly?

Edited by jp2fan

JP2 applied to be in D2 AAA this year but were given the red light. I guess the enrollment numbers aren't there yet (but we have more numbers than BA). It's just as well because we're scheduling games with Ryan, BA and hopefully MBA next year as well as the teams in our division. But if you don't have teams aspire to be in the bigger classifications and compete with better teams then they won't get any better. And those of you already in D2 AAA who are complaining should be welcoming more competition instead of acting like snobs. Quit crying "Sycophant 7s"; change is good!!!

Hey ROLLREDROLL did I use alliteration correctly?

825404789[/snapback]

Beautifully played, fan. We welcome the Pope into our division anyday -- after all, we love to call it the Nebulous Nine.

Coach Brothers has engineered a masterpiece in Sumner County thus far. Here's to his, and PJPII's, continued success and future prowess (though hopefully not at BA's expense!),

How 'bout the "Nasty Nine"...sounds a little tougher. :)

Let me also say this: I am not opposed to any team moving up to DII-AAA. If they have the enrollment numbers, that is certainly their right and obligation. If a team like BA(possibly JPII in the future), without the enrollment wants to move up to play at the highest level, then more power to them. What bothers me is the attitude of a previous poster on this thread touting Briarcrest and talking bad about the "Super 7". I also remember several Briacrest posters touting their team before this season even started as their "best ever" and that they could beat up on DII-AAA teams, and "just wait until we move up", etc. There's just no place for that kind of talk here and its difficult to take seriously. Having said that, I look forward to the new DII-AAA and wish Briarcrest the best of luck.

Edited by TheBigRedDog

I also would like to welcome Briarcrest to the Super Seven. Tons of people complain(myself included) about BCS's road to the playoffs(how they would lose a few games to an MUS, CBHS, or Melrose and still win state), and I'd love to give them a shot to play in the super 7. It will be big change though. Getting pumped up and excited to play a few solid teams each year isn't that difficult, but having a top state team in your schedule nearly every week is a huge battle. I, personally, am very interested how BCS will perform. I was thinking something more like the "Ostentatious 8" might be more appropriate. Don't go around hammering teams like Baylor and Father Ryan because of their records. I can tell you from personal experience that they are both good football teams, but the schedules that they play are extremely demanding.