Jefferson County Lady Patriots

DZbettin

I've seen some polls on here put them in top 10 in the state and some not even mention them. They lost only one regular starter from last year's substate team and have a couple of freshman that saw some varsity PT last year.

Where do you see them stacking up? can they get past Region 2 winner? last year powell.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a very strong team last year and looks to be better this year. JC tends to start strong but fades toward the end of the season. I would say they need to focus on Greeneville and  Daniel Boone before they can look to Powell.

825401421[/snapback]

How can you even say that the Lady Patriots tend to start strong and fade towards the end? True, they usually do start strong, but last year they went in to the postseason in a deflated mood, and everyone wrote them off. Then they went on a tear and a team that was supposed to do nothing had some dominating wins over good teams. I'm excited about the upcoming season and hope they can take it a step further.

It is going to be interesting!

The potential is there for a great season, however, there are lots of roadblocks in the road. It is pretty certain that Sarah Jane is not going to play this year, so of the 12 girls on the varsity at the end of the year, you have graduated 3 seniors and lost a player that played quite a bit. That was about half of the rotation last season.

You have 4 really good players as a core, but the younger players are going to have to step up. There is some good talent there. However, besides Haley, there is not much depth at the post behind Katie R. and Ashley Huff.

Last year, Coach Potts adjusted to his talent and really pushed the tempo. But he had a good rotation to be able to do that. It will be intersting to see if he stays with that style. It was exciting to watch, and I thought the ladies really bought into it!

The other roadblock is the talent in the district. Greeneville brings back two possible all-state players, Morristown West brings back almost the whole team, and especially the key components, and there is good talent on the other IMAC rosters. I don't think that Region is going to be as tough as district!

I am impressed with the schedule that Jeff is playing. They are going to be prepared for whatever they see come play-off time. If the key players can stay out of foul trouble, and stay healthy, this could be a really good team in Feb and March.

Edited by raiderray

It is going to be interesting!

The other roadblock is the talent in the district. Greeneville brings back two possible all-state players

Greeneville has tremendous depth in their sophomore class with several who were in the rotation as freshmen. Senior Lauren Anderson is outstanding from 3-point range and Sarah Brobeck is pure power inside.While they lost some height and speed in the 2 seniors that graduated (McKnight and White) they have their second group of freshmen in a row from a championship middle school team. Huff is the only JC girl who can hang with Lyons and Manuel. Kyle had an amazing game in the win against Greeneville last year but Burkey will be ready to shut her down. I am sorry to hear Sinard isn't playin this year but I am sure Potts has made the necessary adjustments. It is always fun playing JC. Greeneville has always had tremendous respect for Coach Potts and his program. Maybe IMAC officiating will be better this year and we can enjoy watching the girls play....

Edited by barb

Barb,

Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that ALL Greeneville had was Manuel and Lyons! They have that good feeder system known as GMS that we have butted heads with, unsuccesfully, for several years. I was attempting to briefly outline the concerns for the Lady Patriots going in.

I have no doubt that Potts will make good adjustments. I think the IMAC is going to be very tough this year, and at least one very good team is going to be left at home after Regionals.

Coach Burkey is a class act, and I would say has a slight advantage from his summer coaching duties, as he now has some great insight on how Huff and Kyle operate!

I won't get into officiating, other than to say that the ladies are going to have to adjust their game each night based on who has walked in with the striped shirt on. What is unfortunate is that it never, even in district tournament play, appears that the IMAC can get their three best officials on the court at the same time.

Tryouts are Monday. I can't wait for the action to begin! :D

This year's team will look upon last year's playoff run as added motivation to take it a step farther and reaching state.....Losing Sinard certainly hurts but they still have the firepower to be a dominant team.....With the speedy Kyle running up and down the court, Lyke draining 3's from the outside (remember the TN High playoff game?), and Huff and Rickard scoring down low, JC will have the talent to score, but everybody knows defense wins championships. If they can harass the teams as they did last year, they can get the easy transitition buckets and disrupt the offensive flow of their opponents. If the younger players, such as Holt and Chambers, can get some quality minutes, that will help as far as depth goes. Go Lady Patriots!

They're sophomores. Haley Chambers is a post and Demeka Holt is PG/SG. Both played Varsity last year although sparingly.

As a side note, do you have confirmation that Sarah Jane Sinard isn't playing? She played most of the summer with the team in camps and this is the first news i've seen that she isn't playing. Does she have plans to focus on golf now possibly?