Mt. Pleasant/FRA Opening Round Matchup

mphstigerfan

I got a question, when you are a private school player most of the time the players are not from that county. Public, like my team I played for, Lynchburg, we had something to play for every Friday night. Not just for a region title or playoff spot. We played for our town, all the former players, the kids, parents and for each other. When you come to school from a different zone or district how do you get that, like playing for your home town. I have to disagree with you.

825420816[/snapback]

Burley, playing for a private school, is no different than playing for a school in a big city. Nashville has a number of public high schools, none of which, play for Nashville, but for a different part of the city. CPA players, for the most part, have been attending CPA for sometime, most are from within 10 miles of the school. We play for our school, all the former players, kids and parents. We have a "community", not as tight as a single A public school, but close. We have pride in what we have accomplished, from where we came from. We look forward to coming over to MP and having some fun.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question, when you are a private school player most of the time the players are not from that county. Public, like my team I played for, Lynchburg, we had something to play for every Friday night. Not just for a region title or playoff spot. We played for our town, all the former players, the kids, parents and for each other. When you come to school from a different zone or district how do you get that, like playing for your home town. I have to disagree with you.

825420816[/snapback]

Burley,

It is a good question, but it comes from some wrong assumptions. First, as others have said, most small private school kids are indeed from the county the school is in. But that really doesn't matter much since most of those counties have a large population and multiple schools.

Private school kids have a sense of community every bit as strong as small town public school kids because most of them have been in school with each other since elementary school...just like the kids in a small town. So they play for their school...just like all other schools in big cities, but, like small community schools they also play out of a sense of community. I know, I played and now coach for a small private. Every game there are alumni there to cheer the guys on. Many of them are parents. Also there are a surprising number of elementary and middle school families that come to the games...and the varsity players know the little kids by name. I know about that also, my son stands by the entrance at halftime and gets high five's from the players along with about 20 of his buddies. He is in 2nd grade and hero worships anyone in a blue and gold uniform.

It is like being in a big family reunion evey Friday, with all your favorite (or not so favorite) aunts and uncles and cousins cheering you on. I know you know what I mean. Now you know that I know what you mean too.

825420816[/snapback]

825420816[/snapback]

Mr. Burley,

You have kids that have lived in Tullahoma and played for you. I lived four houses away from one of your better players, both in football and baseball. He lived one mile from Tullahoma High School. How does that work?