$$$$$ Price To Wrestle $$$&#0

rigger101

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you're not. Schools run into this all the time. You can't get funding from the school, you need tons of supplies, you have to pay MIAA school insurance (we do), you have to pay 10 bucks a kid for hydration testing, travel expenses, tournament fees, hotel fees, practice clothes, etc. This is not uncommon. And yes, you can always have fundraisers, but when? You really try not to have them during the season (as much as possible) and you have a lot of kids that are playing other sports, so you end up with the same handful of kids and parents that do all the work. It's a shame that teams have to do this, but there are many teams from many schools that have to do this to run a good program.

Rigger 101,

I don't think you are off base, but as Coach Delgado said most teams do fund raisers and run tournaments. Here at Tullahoma we run a pre-season tournament and a regular season tournament and a youth (Future Champions) tournament. Those tournaments fund our booster club which provides all weekend rooms and tournament entrance fees. Our athletic budget has provided most singlets and warm-ups, along with headgear. Our wrestlers are to provide their own shoes and meals on weekend trips. We have a good booster club here in Tullahoma and they provide alot for my program, and both the middle school and youth program. Also rigger ask your coaches if Farragut wants to attend the T-Town Rumble pre-season tournament this year. The tournament is on Nov 13, 2004. Farragut wanted to attend last year, but due to a death of a wrestler we had to cancel the tournament. So if you want to drop me a line try me at millerj44@k12tn.net

$200 per kid doesn't even begin to cover costs if you look at the big picture.

Singlets, traveling, lodging, food, warm-ups/teamwear, etc. that each kids need costs more than that. And I'm not even talking about shoes, headgear, knee pads, or whatever the kid generally buys for himself. Then there are things that the team needs- mats, video equipment, scoring equipment, scales, cleaning products, first-aid, and lots of stuff I'm not thinking of now.

Our kids are being charged a $50 activity fee to the school to help cover coaches' stipends. Other than that, we don't charge a thing. It costs $95-$125 to join the booster club. Most join, but we don't require it.

The kids are required to participate in fundraisers, of which we hold 5-6 off-season, the final one being our Preseaon Tournament. We also have loyal parents who do an incredible amount of work. It can cost $10,000 or more per year to run a club.

$200 is not enough, but it's also too much. Rigger- you're right, the up-front cost can run off kids. The schools aren't helping. In fact, here, they are taking money away from us to fund all coach stipends- all sports & clubs. Booster clubs need to do as much as possible to try to cover all costs for these kids, but they have to work at it too. We want as little to come out of their pocket as possible. Nobody would ever want a kid not to wrestle because he couldn't afford it.

Edited by rddvltkdwn

Most kids I know just gave up their winter time social life and twinkies to wrestle. Never heard of paying to play? (Other than fundraising). Every school should do a girls wrestling match, like Soddy Daisy does, where female students (this now would exclude 94% of MBA' student body) wrestle each other, charge admission, run them through a couple of practices to get them ready, and watch the gym fill up. What does Jerry the King Lawler say????? bra and panties?????? You wont be able to take the little horny freshmen' money fast enough. And it will "raise" interest in your program.

Great plan. Make that money and train hard....mmm.....well.

p.s. ever ask anyone where the name Soddy Daisy came from????

Edited by stovepipe

No, you're not.  Schools run into this all the time.  You can't get funding from the school, you need tons of supplies, you have to pay MIAA school insurance (we do), you have to pay 10 bucks a kid for hydration testing, travel expenses, tournament fees, hotel fees, practice clothes, etc.  This is not uncommon.  And yes, you can always have fundraisers, but when?  You really try not to have them during the season (as much as possible) and you have a lot of kids that are playing other sports, so you end up with the same handful of kids and parents that do all the work.  It's a shame that teams have to do this, but there are many teams from many schools that have to do this to run a good program.

825414630[/snapback]

Thanks for the replys. We do fundraisers(Car Wash, Concessions@ Football games, Ads for programs) but it's not even close to the expense of running the team. We get no school funding and having 4 sets of coaches in 5 years hasn't helped. We haven't had a Tourney in over 4 years. I appreciate the ideals. I was just wondering what an average was between teams in the State. Sounds like it's one extrem to the other. Our kids do get to keep their sweats. We pay for everything else.